• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Irrelevant and Meaningless Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
In the recent few weeks, i have noticed a few members posting a lot of irrelevant replies to serious discussions that have been happening.

While it might be "harmless fun", please understand that your replies are taking the discussion away from the main topic and thus the entire thread becomes a bunch of nonsense posts.

There is a reason we have a section for chit chat and for serious discussions.

Please avoid posting such replies in discussions that add value to the readers.

These replies portray the site in a bad way causing loss of good members, website traffic and eventually the site becomes an empty place. And that is not good for all of us.

So, kindly this as a friendly message and stop doing this in future.

Thanks.

ps: I am not going to name anyone, but you know who you are.

Dear Shri Praveen,

I know I am one of the members you are not naming. I normally try not to indulge in any tiffs with other members. I even try not to respond if someone is trying to malign me. But rarely I do reply to them only in good jest. But I do understand that one of the replies was not what I would have typically replied and I am sorry that replied that way.

I will try not to disturb the decorum of the forum or set a wrong example but one piece of thought does occur. In a conversation especially something that is sensitive, arguments tend to degrade into calling names and it is not the easiest job in the world to moderate them.

I certainly do not envy your job but on the whole you are being balanced to the extent possible. So far it has been an enjoyable experience for me in the forum. I sincerely wish that will continue.

I am a little bit concerned too.
The nature of any thread in this site has been like a stream, meandering all over and not necessarily reaching any fixed direction. Yes, it is slow and destructive nut beautiful at the same time. If you tame it too much it loses its character and becomes a stinking canal.
I would follow your own idea of leaving it alone, till the stink raised is too much even for the originator of the post.

I do want to thank you for the forum.

Dear Sravna,

Do not worry its not you being spoken about here.
Praveen ji is kind and diplomatic enough to not name those who type irrelevant posts but seeing that you are admitting to a fault that is not yours at all..it wont be fair for the real offenders to be silent.

Sravna..its not you..I am at least one of the offenders or I could even be the only offender in this situation.

I abide by rules stated by Praveen ji and have no problems admitting that my posts seemed irrelevant to some.

But Sravna..please do not take on faults that are not yours.
Being wrong or even an offender is fine as long an innocent person does not take the blame for no fault of his.

My irrelevant posts do not warrant an apology but I will abide to Praveen jis rules cos I thank him for providing the forum for all of us to interact.

Last edited:
I feel that rational thought provoking posts can not be irrelevant. I enjoy the site because of the freedom of expression that has been allowed. The site gives the freedom of expression not enjoyed in any other place. These days of demagoguery, and criticizing the organized media as biased, just because they are willing to challenge the majority. I feel that this site has been like a breath of fresh air.

Yes it becomes acrimonious sometimes and Praveenji has to step in but in general, it is a free exchange of opinions.
If it is curtailed, It would be boring and would be stale like a sermon from ignorant and arrogant know-alls.

Dear Renuka,

It is so magnanimous of you to be taking the blame totally on yourself. I know when I do not do the right thing and I too take the responsibility for what happened.

My belief is this problem of exercising self control is the crux of all problems and as humans , we tend to lose it often. The control ideally has to come from within though in real practice some external force is required to bring in the order now and then.

Members, at least the relatively young, can actually take this as a challenge or opportunity and see if they can not be offended by intended or unintended insults and thereby develop self control. It will be to their immense benefit at least in the long run and in all walks of their life. Elders too can benefit. It is never too late.

It will certainly make life easier for Praveen.

Dear Renuka,

It is so magnanimous of you to be taking the blame totally on yourself. I know when I do not do the right thing and I too take the responsibility for what happened.

My belief is this problem of exercising self control is the crux of all problems and as humans , we tend to lose it often. The control ideally has to come from within though in real practice some external force is required to bring in the order now and then.

Members, at least the relatively young, can actually take this as a challenge or opportunity and see if they can not be offended by intended or unintended insults and thereby develop self control. It will be to their immense benefit at least in the long run and in all walks of their life. Elders too can benefit. It is never too late.

It will certainly make life easier for Praveen.

Dear Sravna,

Its not that I am Al Maajid( Magnanimous one)..to be honest the offenders got private messages.LOL

I didnt want to reveal this cos a Private Message from anyone including from.Moderator should remain a personal issue..at least I am glad I didnt get red inked.

The only reason I came open about this is because you were taking a blame that was not yours.

I do not lose anything admiting this cos I didnt feel right for members to think its your fault when you are entirely innocent.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

Its not that I am Al Maajid( Magnanimous one)..to be honest the offenders got private messages.LOL

I didnt want to reveal this cos a Private Message from anyone including from.Moderator should remain a personal issue..at least I am glad I didnt get red inked.

The only reason I came open about this is because you were taking a blame that was not yours.

I do not lose anything admiting this cos I didnt feel right for members to think its your fault when you are entirely innocent.

Renuka,

It is nice of you. Thank you

One of the reasons for the irrelevant, irreverent and meaningless replies could be due to preponderance of posts pertaining to (i) inter caste/inter religious marriage issues and (ii) brahmins way of life (whatever that means).

Within a couple of posts it moves into subtle brahmin bashing and after gathering steam of about 10-15 posts, it becomes an active brahmin bashing thread with usual suspects pouring scorn over whatever brahmins supposedly do according to the poster. The complainers of "irrelevant and meaningless posts" are themselves mostly derailers of the thread substituting their personal opinion or bias over the general thematic issues.

The so called "irrelevant and meaningless posters" and silent readers have not missed the hypocrisy or the irony of the posters who blame everyone else except themselves in trying to portrait themselves as the modern liberated brahmins.

The irrelevant posts could also be a milder way of registering their protest against prolific thread starters who feel that their experience is the way the world functions and their opinion/suggestions are the way the brahmins (in particular) or hindus (in general) should conduct their life.

People are also fed up of mere copy pasting of newspaper articles as topic of discussion, because most people read the newspapers and by now are also very aware of agenda driven issues of media houses of most countries.

I also note with curious interest that most of the postings of Sri tks especially regarding development of science in the present times go with no response and without even marking of "thumbs up or down".

For some reason, I am disabled to mark up thumbs to the posts I like which I surely would have given to Sri tks postings or Renuka's responses.

Last edited:
For some reason, I am disabled to mark up thumbs to the posts I like which I surely would have given to Sri tks postings or Renuka's responses.
The thumbs up has been playing up for a while. It's either enabled for all or disabled for all. Nothing specific for anyone.

One of the reasons for the irrelevant, irreverent and meaningless replies could be due to preponderance of posts pertaining to (i) inter caste/inter religious marriage issues and (ii) brahmins way of life (whatever that means).

Within a couple of posts it moves into subtle brahmin bashing and after gathering steam of about 10-15 posts, it becomes an active brahmin bashing thread with usual suspects pouring scorn over whatever brahmins supposedly do according to the poster. The complainers of "irrelevant and meaningless posts" are themselves mostly derailers of the thread substituting their personal opinion or bias over the general thematic issues.

The so called "irrelevant and meaningless posters" and silent readers have not missed the hypocrisy or the irony of the posters who blame everyone else except themselves in trying to portrait themselves as the modern liberated brahmins.

The irrelevant posts could also be a milder way of registering their protest against prolific thread starters who feel that their experience is the way the world functions and their opinion/suggestions are the way the brahmins (in particular) or hindus (in general) should conduct their life.

:thumb:

One of the reasons for the irrelevant, irreverent and meaningless replies could be due to preponderance of posts pertaining to (i) inter caste/inter religious marriage issues and (ii) brahmins way of life (whatever that means)..........
Dear Narayan Sir,

I am sure you would have noted that 'those' irrelevant posts get more responses from some members! :typing:

I was wondering today..is irrelevance actually relevant?

It is!!

The mind needs stupidity as a pre requisite for intellectual brilliance.

Its a mental break from cerebral fatigue.

24 /7 relevance is not entirely possible.

This message is relevant..it would be entirely meaningless to thinks its irrelevant ! LOL

To quote such messages to others is easy...

Some are keen to follow..

And some are merely interested in preaching.....

There are some members who think they know it all.

Their knowledge encompasses the whole universe, and all other knowledge is waste of time.
Maybe to them.

Please remember Avvaiyar's famous saying.

If you have seen a posting or an opinion that you are master of please ignore the poster or the post. Let others enjoy it without your editorial. If have an opinion on the post do post and be ready to be challenged. Please do not critics the poster or their motives.

Mr Praveen has made a very reasonable statement in post 1. Not sure I understand the protests.
Long ago my family members used to read forum posts but they got bored because of senseless posts and arguments. They are not active readers anymore

This site is great, provides lots of great information. I like the site and many of the posts.

Why worry about who thinks who is know all? What is this preoccupation with members instead of just focusing on the posts. No one I know claims here as a know all. This focus on members itself is bordering on preaching.

Let us abide by the common sense request and focus our responses . If the responses are well thought out the forum is more interesting. Agreed that I have made silly responses but will try to not do so.

There is a saying by Mahatma Gandhi - Be the change you want to see in others.

To quote such messages to others is easy...

Some are keen to follow..

And some are merely interested in preaching.....

The preacher talked to me and he smiled,
Said, "Come and walk with me, come and walk one more mile.
Now for once in your life you're alone,
but you ain't got a dime, there's no time for the phone."

I've just got to get a message to you, hold on, hold on.
One more hour and my life will be through, hold on, hold on.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beegees/ivegottagetamessagetoyou.html

Even in this thread..majority of us are posting our heart out...some posts might not even be relevant(me included) but yet we are in the flow.

This is the heart factor that can never be replaced by the intellect.

Its pure Bhakti!LOL

In one post pouring heart and expressing guilty...

In another post talking about relevance of Bhakthi, heart, intellect, etc

This is a sample of seriousness paid to a posting of the
...FORUM OWNER....... it is all may be because it comes free....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
In one post pouring heart and expressing guilty...

In another post talking about relevance of Bhakthi, heart, intellect, etc

This is a sample of seriousness paid to a posting of the
thread owner.... it is all because it comes free....LOL

Dear Sir..That was not expressing guilt..that was just clearing the name of an innocent person from taking a fault that is not his.

As I said earlier...my posts do not warrant an apology...its just that I would abide to rules and avoid threads that want only stereotype responses.

I cant be just stereotype...that restricts my mind...I am crazy enough to shift from one topic to another and enjoy that state of mind.

You too enjoy my posts..cos you never cease to follow me.

Admit yaar..you cant stay without reading my posts!LOL

Last edited:
Mr Praveen has made a very reasonable statement in post 1. Not sure I understand the protests.
Long ago my family members used to read forum posts but they got bored because of senseless posts and arguments. They are not active readers anymore

Yes, thumbs up.

If one cherishes the forum, the least one can do is to find a way not to reduce its traffic through pointless rants and ravings.

Yes, thumbs up.

If one cherishes the forum, the least one can do is to find a way not to reduce its traffic through pointless rants and ravings.

Thank you .
Good point. I think people like to read their own posts and think all others like them. But often free-flowing mind is not appreciated by many silent readers.

Some members have adopted a brilliant approach, (I think) to share their creativity like rgurus, VR Madam etc. They have one thread and people who want to read their creative expression can comment. Rarely do they affect flow of thoughts in other threads. There could be a middle ground for creative expressions (may be called rants and ravings by many silent readers LOL) while abiding by our moderator's directive.

Since this is a sticky thread, do not want to hog the number of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back