• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Whither Indian Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNANA SUNYAM

Till the seventies of yester century, women of indian origin, working in offices, wore sarees and full sleeved blouses as dress code in offices regardless of whatever dress they would wear at home or when studying in college. women from anglo-indian community however wore mini skirts which was permitted to them alone.

even towards the late seventies, indian-origin women started wearing sleeveless blouses to offices.

the eighties witnessed the onslaught of chudidaar-kameez in offices, among indian women.

during nineties, indian-origin women started wearing dress like westerners, they started wearing full pants, jeans, sleeveless t-shirts to work in offices. some women even attend interviews in that dress and got selected while men were still sporting ties during interviews.

in the 21st century, sarees are confined only to occasions like ethnic dress day etc. even during such occasions the norm/trend was to wear blouses fully exposing the back.

in the first of half of the second decade of 21st century, sleeves partly showing the flesh was the trend and became a norm.

in recent times, women especially in IT Companies, major and minor, as if it is a rule, wear dress exposing the cleavage. it is a common scene especially in metros.

the parents of these women don't object.

even the only it company which had strict dress-code has fully relaxed its dress code policy and has permitted its staff to wear any dress to office.

where is our indian (women) dress culture heading to!!!

we wax eloquent about varied indian heritage, the greatness of our culture.

what is the intent and purpose of following this trend?

is it indian-women's culture and heritage to seduce and to tempt men?

Indian men too have moved away from tradition.
From Kaupeenam they now all wear western underwear.

Dont the parents of these men ever object that their sons are adopting western influence?

Then they wear shirts and pants..discarded their dhoti and instead of going shirtless they cover up with t shirts etc.

Dont they ever know women prefer Indian men to dress like Bahubali..with a Armour and dhoti tied warrior style.

Men!!

ARISE AWAKE....You need to reinstate the Decline of Hindu Culture.

Throw away your western outfits..dress up like a Bahubali..six pack..biceps and all.
Ride a horse..jump from mountains..slay any man who misbehaves...then we women will dress like Devasena...we will even commit sati for such a worthy male.

JAI BAHUBALI!

Till the seventies of yester century, women of indian origin, working in offices, wore sarees and full sleeved blouses as dress code in offices regardless of whatever dress they would wear at home or when studying in college. women from anglo-indian community however wore mini skirts which was permitted to them alone.

Your comment about changing culture is valid.
It is wrong in so many details.
All the nurses wore a white Skirt and blouse since 1950's.
All the ladies in Punjab wore Salwar and Kameez well before that.
The salwar liberated the women to be free and be mobile with driving scooters.

is it indian-women's culture and heritage to seduce and to tempt men?

It might be that Indian men's culture to be lecherous, and it has nothing to do with women's clothing.
11-month-old baby is kidnapped and raped for two hours in India after she was snatched as her mother slept.
http://www.india.com/news/india/delhi-11-month-old-baby-raped-for-2-hours-in-vikaspuri-1458052/

what is the intent and purpose of following this trend?

The intent is to stand out, that is the intent of everything. Why does a tree grow taller than the rest, to get the sunshine. Why do we build the tallest skyscraper? Why do we wear the best handcrafted Italian suit? Why do we spend Crores in getting a Mercedes Benz cars?

Men do not own "women". Women wear what they want.
What is elegant in one culture may be vulgar in another culture.

Dear Gnana Sunyam Ji,

I live in a Metro….

I used to see my neighbor who is a woman aged between 50-55 years, going for a walk with her mother and daughter, though not regularly once in two-three days.

While my neighbor would be wearing a churidar, her teen aged daughter will be in traditional half saree holding hand of her aged grandmother, who can be seen
briskly walking with head erected in a western outfit of bermudas and T.shirt..

This too happens…

Now tell me where is our culture heading to….?

Real India lives in villages where one can find real Katappas and not reel..... :)

JAI KATAPPA...!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian men too have moved away from tradition.
From Kaupeenam they now all wear western underwear

Ha ha... Can't stop laughing. excellent counter attempt. Yes change is inevitable. Life is not what used to be some 30-40 years back. Today's women has to catch up and move along with the fast pace of changing life. Traditional could be little difficult to manage to move around. Jeans and top are ideal for most of the occasion for a working women. Well when in a religious place or taking part in any cultural/traditional event, traditional dress code would be a better choice.

Ha ha... Can't stop laughing. excellent counter attempt. Yes change is inevitable. Life is not what used to be some 30-40 years back. Today's women has to catch up and move along with the fast pace of changing life. Traditional could be little difficult to manage to move around. Jeans and top are ideal for most of the occasion for a working women. Well when in a religious place or taking part in any cultural/traditional event, traditional dress code would be a better choice.

A very sensible opinion.
We females know what to wear where..when I attend muslim functions I dress in an Abhaya with headscarf.

When I attend Hindu functions I wear Saree.

When I go to work..it can be pants..skirts..salwar kameez etc.

Its just knowing how to dress where.
Revealing saree blouses are best suited for dinners or weddings which are not held in a temple complex.

https://thereandtheir.com/2013/07/01/how-did-we-turn-into-such-a-regressive-society/

beautiful_paintings_8.jpg

This used to be the traditional dress.

Salwar kameez / churidar sets are much better, even if the duppatta is NOT in the right place,

since they don't expose the back, like the barely-there blouses and low hip sarees!

Ever wondered why defeathered chicken are called 'dressed chicken'?

To dress = To expose!! :lol: (Just a thought!)

hi

what about ALL MAMIS/MANY OLD WOMEN WEAR NIGHTIES IN DAY TIME.?

Such NIGHTIES mostly will come with a dirty towel which would have never seen laundry for months......with this they are proud to visit market, pleased to drop children at schools, etc

But these dirty towel, obediently covers the neck alone mostly. lol

Men are always obssesed with how women dress.
Seriously why this obsession?

A male can only exert some influence over his wife or daughter that too very limited finally cos everyone has a mind of their own.

Males should learn to stop blaming women for decline in culture.
Our Hindu culture had way more exposing garments in the past..only after the invaders came into India women started covering more to protect themselves.

Why else do you think women of North cover their head when at a temple or funeral where else even the most madi acharam mami in South of India never covers her head in a temple?

Its becos North india had Islamic influence and South had very minimal influence.

So best for males to learn to stop finding fault with women or the other option is enjoy the skin show..a rush of blood never does any harm.

Yes..deep down inside each female is a seductress..there is nothing wrong in sensuality.
Its what being a woman is all about.

My observation:

1. Great grandma wore nine yards sarees without blouse.

2. Grandma wore nine yards sarees with matching blouse.

3. Mom wore six yards sarees with matching blouse.

4. I wear sarees + blouse / salwar sets. (I hate nighties)

5. D I L wears salwar sets / churidar / jeans + Tshirts / kurthis; Saree + grand blouse for special days.

6. Granddaughters wear jeans + Tshirts / kurthis and salwar sets / churidar on special occasions.

Nine yards sarees are ONLY for very special days - Wedding / seemantham / Sumangali prarthanai / srAddham.

Changes are inevitable.

My thinking is the attire we wear, how we look, what we believe or pray to are part of saMpradAya. saMpradAya means that is 'given together or given well', 'transmitted', 'bestowed collectively'. saMpradAya is tradition or custom, which is concerned mostly with outward things. Custom/tradition changes and evolves based on several factors.

What we do/create/craft/cultivate that affects our personality, outlook, thought processes, value-systems is saMskrti, which is our culture. saMskrti is what is created/crafted/cultivated in our mind. saMskrti is concerned with inward things. saMskrti is culture.

Samskrti may contain a lot of SamskAras (actions) to help in us forming these outlooks, value-systems and conditioning our mind. These saMskAras 'adorn' us and craft our personality. "samparyupebhyaḥ karotu bhūṣaṇe" - saMskAras are actions that adorn our personality.

Probably, if one looks at culture and tradition from this angle, we can easily seggregate what we should focus on as our saMskrti (actions/culture) to learn from and what we evolve as saMpradAya (customs/traditions) based on circumstances.

just my loud thinking..

-TBT

-TBT

But this urge to control women is not new, nor original.

In his First Letter to the Corinthians Paul writes that, unlike men, women should veil themselves when they pray or prophesy. If they don’t, he says, “should cut off [their] hair.” He then continues by saying that men do not have to veil themselves because they are the image and reflection of God, whereas women was made out of man. (This is a reference to the Adam and Eve story in which Eve is made out of one of Adam’s ribs). Having grounded his argument for male superiority in Genesis, Paul “For this reason a woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.”
Clear? Not so far, eh?

Assets are for display.

Those who have assets will display.

Display can follow several methods - overt, showing the contours and leaving the rest to imagination etc.,

It is a harmless game people play and enjoy.

As times change and as cultures meet, this display method also changes with time.

பழையன கழிதலும் புதியன புகுதலும் வழுவல, கால வகையினானே. LOL.

Such NIGHTIES mostly will come with a dirty towel which would have never seen laundry for months......with this they are proud to visit market, pleased to drop children at schools, etc

But these dirty towel, obediently covers the neck alone mostly. lol
hi

i agreed.....this is too much among brahmin mamis than other castes....i dont know why?...even morning KOLAM WITH NIGHTIE

WITH DIRTY TOWEL TOO...LOL

Last edited:
hi

i agreed.....this is too much among brahmin mamis than other castes....i dont know why?...even morning KOLAM WITH NIGHTIE

WITH DIRTY TOWEL TOO...LOL

Every breath you take..every move you make..
I'll be watching you!

Hey you males are stalkers yaar.

I dont even observe what a guy next to my house wears..but men seem to even know a towel a mami owns in unwashed.

What do you guys use yaar to stalk women ?
Binoculars?

Just imagine if all this microscopic detailed observation is focussed on God..Tbs Ji and Falcon ji would be Jeevan Muktas by now.

Dont get enticed by the female form..whether she is in a Nightie or showing cleavage in the industry of IT .
Remember when she is dead in a morgue that form you stalk so much will decompose and not entice you anymore.

Bhajo Govindam Bhajo Govindam.

Dear Renu,

If the observations of seniors is this much, we can imagine how much the youngsters would observe! :spy:
So, all female better realize this and dress up, without showing their assets! :peep:

BTW, an American girl came out of the exit gate, clad in a low hipped mini skirt and very short blouse;

there was a deafening howling by a bunch of youngsters! I witnessed this in the Sing. Chennai Airport!

Youngsters still have energy to howl..oldies can only only growl.LOL

RRji..sometimes doing seva for the less fortunate is admirable.

All these howling growling types have no chance for anything in life..at least some Darshan would keep them happy.

As far as I am concerned I would dress to the occasion..btw even if one wears an Abhaya one gets admired.

The other day I was buying an Abhaya and the fitting room mirror was outside the room..so i had to.come out and see myself in the mirror..believe me RR ji..its a fully covered garment yet a foreign guy in the shop told me..you do not need the mirror..its the mirror that needs you..you look lovely.

So you see RR ji..i accepted the compliment..after all it was a fully covered garment yet one was admired.

So no big deal RR ji..mini or Burkha..men will be men.

Dear RR ji,

Lets discuss this thread in a more "intellectual" manner:eyebrows:

Questions:

1)Why is a woman always blamed for decline in culture esp her dressing?

2) Why are men totally oblivious of their own lack of upholding culture.

Possibilities:

A male has not got over his Sanchita Karma from his past birth.
In a past life he could have been a dominant alpha Lion in Africa and had all lionesses work for him day and night.

But then again we can ask..Lions never wore clothes.. So Lions were not finding fault with the Lioness flaunting her assets even to an elephant.

But may be the dominant trait of being in charge makes the human male want to rule his pride but its just that in this life as a human he is finding it hard to subdue any female.

So it leads to internal conflict.

They become confused...even in Geeta Lord Krishna says..when confusion of the intellect arises that spells ruin.

So males lose direction and lash out at women for everything and anything especially as the age.

Younger males do not complain about lack of culture among women..its usually the aging males that have a problem.

A glanih(decline) of hormones too can be suspected here cos with aging DHEA too declines..so instead of admiring the female form skin show and all he starts to find fault with the female tribe.

So this situation could also be endocrinal and could improve with therapy.

Those who might not want therapy could opt for cognitive therapy to be able to admire the female form again sans guilt or anger.

What say you RR Ji?

Last edited:
Bhajo Govindam Bhajo Govindam.

Doctor Mam,

If we don't watch, for whom are they voluntarily stripping their dresses one by one in a cabaret hall .... with dance moves ....synchronizing the jazz music.......??

I mean the cabaret halls at Chennai....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back