• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

True anecdotes and episodes in my real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgurus

SON OF THE SOIL
My friend who was deputed to undergo a course in US returned after a period of three years. We all went to the airport to receive him. After all the formalities were over, he came out and when we all cheered him, he kept his luggage in the van which was booked for him, removed his coat and tie and started rolling on the ground to our utter surprise for a few seconds, took a handful of the dirty soil from the ground and applied it to his forehead saying 'oh! This is my land, this is my land'. His dress was soiled a bit and his hands became dirty but he didn't care a jot for it. Then he said ' this is my soil and I am happy to be back here,. after three years '. I realised the literal meaning of the son of the soil then!

I thought that such sincere people are the real SONS Of THE SOIL. Others who exploit the land for their own selfish ends and cheat the nation are SINS Of THE SOIL.

It really happened
Happy Idly
I think it was in the year 2000, I called my daughter who was in U.S (and is still in U.S) to offer my Pongal Greetings to her. After wishing her Happy Pongal, I wanted to greet my grand children and I asked my daughter to hand over the phone to them. My eldest grand daughter Shanthi who was just six then took the phone and said 'Hello Thatha'. No sooner did I wish her A HAPPY PONGAL , prompt came the reply saying 'WISH YOU HAPPY IDLY AND MILAGAIPODI' and before her voice died down, came the other response from my younger grand daughter Priya who was just three, wishing us A HAPPY DOSA AND VADA. They said it in all sincerity, for at that age they were familiar only with such dishes as Pongal, idly, dosa, vada and so on and had NO IDEA OF PONGAL AS A FESTIVAL. I could not contain myself and started bursting into uncontrollable laughter and my Pongal that year turned out to be all the more special.

I don't have culture!
The phone was ringing.The Head of the department took the phone and answered the incoming call. We could hear him saying : 'No sorry. WE DON'T HAVE ANY CULTURE WITH US . .................... Kindly excuse us!'
Can you guess who he is and why he said so?
Obviously he was the PROFESSOR OF MICROBIOLOGY and has been telling the other side that he doesn't have bacterial culture in his lab to undertake certain
bacteriological tests immediately and that they have to wait for some more time for the tests to be conducted.
The above is a real incident!

It really happened
Happy Idly
I think it was in the year 2000, I called my daughter who was in U.S (and is still in U.S) to offer my Pongal Greetings to her. After wishing her Happy Pongal, I wanted to greet my grand children and I asked my daughter to hand over the phone to them. My eldest grand daughter Shanthi who was just six then took the phone and said 'Hello Thatha'. No sooner did I wish her A HAPPY PONGAL , prompt came the reply saying 'WISH YOU HAPPY IDLY AND MILAGAIPODI' and before her voice died down, came the other response from my younger grand daughter Priya who was just three, wishing us A HAPPY DOSA AND VADA. They said it in all sincerity, for at that age they were familiar only with such dishes as Pongal, idly, dosa, vada and so on and had NO IDEA OF PONGAL AS A FESTIVAL. I could not contain myself and started bursting into uncontrollable laughter and my Pongal that year turned out to be all the more special.

so cute!

A true incident that happened in our lab.
The students were working in the laboratory when suddenly bottles tumbled down the table, chemicals got spilled over and there was utter chaos in the lab. The lecturer in chargé rushed to see what was happening and when he found every thing in a mess there, he got upset and being short tempered and cantankerous by nature, shouted at the students and asked them as to who was responsible for all that mess.
Nobody came forward to own the mistake. When he pulled up a student at random and questioned him, he said nervously that HE HAD NOT DONE IT AND THAT HE WAS IRRESPONSIBLE

Dear Guru sir..

I remember when my son aged 5 then many years ago....we had gone to a shopping mall and he was fascinated by mirrors facing each other at the dress fitting room where multiple images would be seen.

Then he started running around and in that process a dress rack almost fell.

I told him to stop running and asked him " Varun.. did you just push that rack?"

He quickly ran and stood in between 2 mirrors and multiple images formed and he said " there is so many Varuns now..who are you going to blame for pushing it?"

I didnt scold him..what could I say?
I just smiled cos he cleverly escaped.

Kids have their own way of expression! A naughty kid in my extended family told his mom, "I love you, Mom!"

She replied, smiling, "I love you too, kaNNA''. Immediatly, with a big grin, he shouted, "I love you three, Mom!". ;)

Kids have their own way of expression! A naughty kid in my extended family told his mom, "I love you, Mom!"

She replied, smiling, "I love you too, kaNNA''. Immediatly, with a big grin, he shouted, "I love you three, Mom!". ;)
Kids ways of expression are the most enjoyable and at times astounding.

Refresher courses
We used to conduct refresher courses for engineers, drawn from all over India and abroad periodically. The participants of the refresher courses will be provided free accommodation, breakfast, lunch, light snacks in the evening break and dinner. Most of the participants who would not dare open their mouths during the course lectures would DEFINITELY OPEN THEIR MOUTHS AT LEAST ON THESE FOUR OCCASIONS DAILY! Many of them evinced lot of interest on the menu for the day than for the course contents. So naturally at the end of the course at the time of proposing vote of thanks, the representative from among the participants who proposed a toast on behalf of the participants thanked our department and the organisation for the way in which the REFRESHMENT COURSE (!) was conducted ( probably because all the time he had been thinking of REFRESHMENTS and so had aptly described the course as a REFRESHMENT COURSE instead of as A REFRESHER COURSE). Everyone including the participants went into peels of laughter.
According to English, there is nothing wrong, but here in this particular context, it reflects the state of mind of the participant

My first real celluloid hero:
In the year 1955 or so, when I was doing my engineering at Coimbatore, one day, I went for some shopping along with my friend in Seventy Feet Road in R.S Puram. ( I hope the road still remains 70' wide). Another friend of ours who was a day scholar, happened to come to that shop with one of his friends who looked senior in age and size compared to us. That friend introduced the new person as one Mr Mohan ( if I remember correct) and said that he was a cine actor; and that was enough to electrify us .We both felt blessed and were thrilled to the core and even as we could recover from our state of ecstasy, he introduced us to him. We felt honoured and shook hands with him. The very feeling of seeing a cine actor in flesh and blood at such close quarters in that age and the fact that we got the privilege of touching and feeling a cine actor enthralled us in no small measure. ( continued)

In the year 1955 or so, when I was doing my engineering at Coimbatore, one day, I went for some shopping along with my friend in Seventy Feet Road in R.S Puram. ( I hope the road still remains 70' wide). Another friend of ours who was a day scholar, happened to come to that shop with one of his friends who looked senior in age and size compared to us. That friend introduced the new person as one Mr Mohan ( if I remember correct) and said that he was a cine actor; and that was enough to electrify us .We both felt blessed and were thrilled to the core and even as we could recover from our state of ecstasy, he introduced us to him. We felt honoured and shook hands with him. The very feeling of seeing a cine actor in flesh and blood at such close quarters in that age and the fact that we got the privilege of touching and feeling a cine actor enthralled us in no small measure. ( continued)

I was crazy for actor Mohan when I was a teen.
I liked his voice..only later I knew that his voice was actually dubbed cos his real voice was not that great.

Anyway I wrote a letter to him saying I liked his movies and acting.

He replied in a hand written letter and sent me a pic of himself too...he also wrote he had just finished shooting for Retai Vaal Kuruvi and not to miss it when its released.

He wrote he was happy to note he has fans in Msia.

I was so excited that he replied and showed all my friends in school..all the girls were so excited to see the letter.

Last edited:
Madam,
The Mohan I am refering to may be a different actor. I know another Mohan who was my neighbour in Trustapakkam, Devanathan Street, MandaVeli, who has acted in many Malayalam pictures and is also acting in TV Tamil serials. Probably at the end of the episode, you will know whether you refer to The Mohan whom you know.

Wow Guru Sir!

When I was a kid, I might have met you somewhere in Coimbatore, because our family used to visit Coimbatore often!

Or, you might have been senior to my b i l (Mr. V R ji !), in the same college. :)

V R ji is one of the popular writers in our dear forum.

A true incident that happened in our lab.
The students were working in the laboratory when suddenly bottles tumbled down the table, chemicals got spilled over and there was utter chaos in the lab. The lecturer in chargé rushed to see what was happening and when he found every thing in a mess there, he got upset and being short tempered and cantankerous by nature, shouted at the students and asked them as to who was responsible for all that mess.
Nobody came forward to own the mistake. When he pulled up a student at random and questioned him, he said nervously that HE HAD NOT DONE IT AND THAT HE WAS IRRESPONSIBLE

I like your way of narration. Sort of makes me feel I was present when these incidences took place :)

A real life Celluloid hero ( continued)
In those days I was, so to say, a cine fanatic and to have a sacred dharshan of an actor and that too a hero was considered a matter of great lifetime achievement, a moment of great pride and an unparalleled honour and all the words at my command are inadequate to express the thrill that I experienced then. Immediately the actor himself came forward to talk to us (oh! what a great honour) and told us that he had acted in a picture as a hero to be released in a theatre at Coimbatore shortly and requested us to see that picture without fail. We couldn't believe our own ears ( I could hear properly at that time) and eyes and we felt that the purpose of our birth has been fulfilled. We said we would definitely see the picture at the earliest and after a few pleasant exchanges, handshakes and Namaskarams, we left the place most reluctantly with a heavy heart, our heart full of grief over the fact that we had to take leave of this cine actor so soon. No need to say that night was a sleepless night for us, the hero occupying the entire space of our heart, brain and mind and what not. We had to wait for three full days for the picture to be released which looked as though we were waiting for ages, (yugas and yugas). At last the picture was released and as you could have rightly guessed, we two were the first and second to enter the theatre to see our hero in the silver screen. That was a dream come true situation. ( continued)

I was doing my BE in GCT, coimbatore during 1952-56. Is your brother in kaw a product of GCT? Which year? May be, he may be far junior to me.

Ji,
thank you so much. I have lot of episodes like this which I would like to share with you all.

I was doing my BE in GCT, coimbatore during 1952-56. Is your brother in kaw a product of GCT? Which year? May be, he may be far junior to me.
Dear Guru Sir,

I guess he might have entered GCT, just after you left it! Anyway, shall let you know after talking to him. :)

Celluloid hero (continued)
After some unwanted and irritating wait for a few minutes, the picture started. I think the name of the picture is Nagadevathai. In the first scene, there came a prince whom we could not make out, who was bitten by a venomous snake and died. The heroine was a princess who had married the hero who had met with this sad end and the princess started crying aloud and praying, she being one of the chastest ladies comparable to Seetha, Savithri, Anusuya, Ahalya and so on, and after about half an hour, one Demi Goddess appeared before her in all her splendour and glory, moved by the copious tears shed by the princess and her incessant and sincere prayers and asked her as to what boon she wanted. The princess being a great chaste lady on the lines of Savithri asked for the life of her husband whose body was lying in a boat nearby. As usual after some hesitation, the Demi-goddess stipulated certain impossible conditions on fulfilling which, she said that her husband would revive and join her and after offering the boon the Devathai disappeared. The princess thanked the demi-goddess profusely and in fulfilment of the requirements of the boon, she towed him in a boat to different sacred shrines and temples across the country, overcame many of the obstacles and that was the rest of the picture for the next two hours. The dead prince was lying dead all through with his face covered with wreaths of flowers and festoons. In the last scene, the Devathai reappeared with a sense of satisfaction and sprinkled some holy water in the dead man's face and to the utter delight of the princess ( and to the audience) the dead man came alive and then the picture ended with a happy duet song. All the time we were wondering as to where our hero was whom we were not able to identify and when we came out of the theatre, to our great disappointment, we were told that the one who died at the beginning of the story and came back to life at the end of the story was our hero whom we were searching for throughout the picture. I can never forget this great experience of mine not only in this life but also in my many more Janmas in future to which I am ordained. END

Last edited:
After a month long separation, how one feels.

Engineers from countries such as Srilanka, Bangladesh, Mauritius, Saudi Arabia and so on were deputed to undergo a one month refresher course which we conduced in our department. They were provided accommodation in our hostels and were not permitted to bring their spouse with them. On the final day of the course, a valedictory followed by a party was arranged. Certificates were distributed to the participants who were in high spirits because they will be going back home to be with their spouses and children the next day. So they were all in a state of excitement and when I casually remarked at the candidate from Saudi
" you must be very happy to go back after a break of one month to see your wife"
His immediate reaction was
"who will not be happy to see my wife?"

Good morning

We generally do not like mornings for it comes at a time when most of us are in a state of deep slumber. So no morning is a good morning to most of us. To add to the woes, most of the phone calls which I receive in the early mornings have been not good morning calls but bad mourning calls. Yes, ninety percent of the time I got a call in the morning, it turned out to bear the news of some close or distant relative passing away. So I am naturally more worried than annoyed at early morning calls that make the the day, a day of mourning and not a day of rejoice. Yesterday was one such morning when I got the news of the demise of my boyhood friend, school mate, play mate and "cards" mate. I cannot imagine a Chennai without him. Even in the days when there were no phones in our houses, we used to get bad news either at midnights or early mornings through telegrams, a forgotten mode of fast and urgent news transmission till a few years back. I cannot forget the early morning of 23rd November 1956, when I heard the then Tuticorin express whistling past Vanjiyam bridge with thuds typical of a train moving over a bridge after its usual halt of a few minutes in Ariyalur Station and within minutes thereafter someone coming running to our street with a distress call shouting that Tuticorin express has derailed in Marudaiyar bridge and that many have been killed. And you all may remember that it was one of the major railway accidents of the country which was responsible for our then railway minister Lal Bahadur Sastri to resign and DMK to gain a foot hold in the elections in 1957. I also cannot forget the early morning of a particular Deepavali when all of us were eagerly looking forward for the celebration of Thalai Deepavali, when we got the news from a villager nearby that the car in which the celebrity party was coming was involved in an accident and what ought to have been the Thalai Deepavali turned into a tragedy in which the lady of their house was killed and turned that Deepavali of cheers into a Deepavali of tears. ( continued)

Dear Shri Moorthy,
I am a native of Ariyalur and I was there in Ariyalur at that time. I have written about it in detail in Facebook some years back. What was the name of your Chithappa who was the doctor there? My version and experience of the accident, I will be posting separately some other time. Unfortunately, I have not gone through the article written by your aunt. If you are fammiliar with Ariyalur, may be, there may be some commonly known to both of us. Anyhow thank you for sharing the information with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back