• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sonu Nigam’s tweet against loudspeakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

India needs to rethink the way they're tackling noise pollution in the country

On Monday, Bollywood singer Sonu Nigam put out a tweet talking of forced religiousness in India. Twitter was immediate to respond with and people offered both support and criticism for the singer.

God bless everyone. I'm not a Muslim and I have to be woken up by the Azaan in the morning. When will this forced religiousness end in India

Sonu Nigam should have included the noise from Hindu Temple as well in his tirade.

While Sonu Nigam’s tweet resulted in a communal debate on Twitter, the bigger issue in urban India is noise pollution.
Whether it’s a religious procession, a series of fireworks going off during a political rally, or a wedding or party, loud sounds are a major cause of disturbance. Technically, as per guidelines laid down by the Ministry of Environment and Forests in February 2000, residential areas – which are the most affected – should have noise as loud as 50 decibels during the day and 45 decibels at night. If one were to draw a comparison, 50 decibels is the same as a quiet suburb, while 45 decibels is the sound one hears in a library. Mumbai during rush hour has noise as loud as 150 decibels across the city, which is the same as a jet take off.

In Parel, an area of central Mumbai, there are three major hospitals – KEM, Tata Memorial Hospital and the privately-run Global Hospital. All three of them are in a kilometre radius of each other. From this writer’s personal experience, the road is one lane on either side with certain sections with a divider. Cars, buses and taxis move slowly amidst the traffic chaos, constantly honking and in general breaking every rule when it comes to functioning at silent zones. In addition to this, loudspeakers add to the woes.

In a peaceful, beautiful Tea estate, where we were vacationing, The morning was shattered by Loudspeakers from Masjid, on one side and Suprabatam from the Temple on the other side.

I know there is competition for Numbers, but what about common people.
There should be some enforcible ordinance about noise pollution, and a civic sense to honor other's right to peaceful morning.

While the government and the cops may have a sound pollution drive – sooner rather than later – the fundamental issue we face, irrespective of what section of society we hail from, is the basic regard for rules. People raise their voices in silent zones, have their mobile phones on loud mode in a movie hall, and even go beyond the stipulated deadline of 10 pm (or midnight during festivals) when it comes to playing loudspeakers. So while Sonu Nigam’s rant is justified, it’s unfair at targeting just one community.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...ke-in-a-huge-wheel-of-noise-pollution-2405214

Last edited:
To be fair to Sonuji he also added this tweet:

I don't believe in any temple or gurudwara using electricity To wake up people who don't follow the religion . Why then..? Honest? True?

We are a noisy country.

From early morning to late evening four women fighting municipal elections in my delhi constituency are making my life a living hell with loud campaigning

Long live women who have won their right to represent us in MCD.

A senior member of a minority council issued a fatwa against singer Sonu Nigam for his comments over azaan. “If anyone can shave his hair, put a garland of old torn shoes around his neck and tour him around the country I personally announce an award of Rs 10 lakh for that person,” said Syed Sha Atef Ali Al Quaderi, vice president, West Bengal Minority United Council.
Terming Nigam as an anti-national, Quaderi said at a press conference today that no one had the right to hurt the sentiments of any other religion. “I would have reacted the same way if one had talked ill about the sound of bells coming from a temple as well. If we all become so intolerant about each other’s religions, we will soon have a bunch of atheists in our country. People like Nigam should be driven out of the country,” he added. He said that the council will organise a mass rally at Rani Rashmoni Avenue in central Kolkata.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...ember-issues-fatwa-against-sonu-nigam-2406898

Issuing fatwa against Individuals must be "PUNISHABLE" as Hate crime.

I am just waiting and praying for the day when ALL the loudspeakers in ALL the religious places will be banned! :tape2:

My eldest sister seems to be the most affected by the noise pollution. Opposite to her house is a huge mosque and

next to her house
is a Devi temple.
The loud speakers in the first one starts at 5 a.m and the second one at 5.30 a.m. :horn:

I am just waiting and praying for the day when ALL the loudspeakers in ALL the religious places will be banned! :tape2:

My eldest sister seems to be the most affected by the noise pollution. Opposite to her house is a huge mosque and

next to her house
is a Devi temple.
The loud speakers in the first one starts at 5 a.m and the second one at 5.30 a.m. :horn:

I fully agree with that post.

Not only loud speakers, there are many other religious activities cause great sort of inconvenience to the public.
Kaavadi procession by people in Delhi NCR area during holi-month of Savan (June-July) dries up the road space and makes life difficult.
Scenario is no different when idol immersion takes place during Durga Puja and Ganesh Chaturthi
Government has erected tall fences to discourage people from throwing Puja flowers and other leftovers in Yamuna. Who cares? People still manages to throw garbage over the fence. My attempt some times back to prevent one such person from such an attempt by filming his act using my mobile camera only resulted in his goons teaching me a lesson or two on how to mind my own business and also losing my mobile in the process.
During Friday prayers people think it is their right to cover many stretchs of roads blocking traffic movement for hours.
Encroachment of public land in the name of religion is another major nuisance..

Last edited:
hi

religion and goverment should be separated.....the law of land for common for all religions...but and if?.....what about

vote bank in democracy....democracy and secular run by religions/money /muscle power...but who cares?....

next to her house
is a Devi temple.

My house is also near a mosque..i dont use an alarm clock cos the Azaan wakes me up.

I dont really mind which ever prayers wake me up.
There is also a temple further down which has processions sometimes and traffic is blocked too but auxillary forces handle it well and no one really complains.

My house is also near a mosque..i dont use an alarm clock cos the Azaan wakes me up.

There is also a temple further down which has processions sometimes and traffic is blocked too but auxillary forces handle it well and no one really complains.

You are right.

One should try to adapt and live among all religious people.

There is no point in complaining and it serves no purpose.

Leave alone the healthy people, even patients who are undergoing treatment/convalescing at Hospital are facing this situation. Students facing crucial examination are undergoing this agony.

This deals with issue of License by the local police. Any one can apply and get it for some reason.

Issuing of the Sound Amplifier Lincence is governed by the Act

There are lot of judgements issued with strict instructions to maintain the decible level and to use the Box type instead of 'Funnel' type speakers.

But nobody bothers.

You can find the amplifier generating more noise at the functions of those who complaint noise pollution.

No one is serious.

IMHO a genuine change must first come from within the individual.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

No one CAN complain in India! We have to just grin and bear it!! :eek:hwell:
BTW, I advised my sister to use ear plugs because she need NOT get up so early, being a retired person. :couch2:

No one CAN complain in India! We have to just grin and bear it!! :eek:hwell:
BTW, I advised my sister to use ear plugs because she need NOT get up so early, being a retired person. :couch2:

Any one is free to complaint....

But I think they will have to prove that the decible level was beyond the permitted limit..

Without use of loud horn one cannot drive in any place in India. People tolerate all kinds of noise.
Religions want to show that they can make even more noise .. People are very tolerant.

There may be patients and students who are awaken by 5.00 AM thro' the blaring noise of song 'Choli Ke Pechhey' or 'Chhaiyya Chhaiyya'.............

There may be some praying.....and may be some braying....

What to do......??

hi

some ppl awake by KAUSLYA SUPRAJA RAMA POORVA SANDHYA PRAVARTHATHE TOO...many tea shop owners and muslim tea

stall owners too keep KAUSALYA SUPRJA RAAMA IN MANY PLACES OF CHENNAI...so noise is part of life...

Without use of loud horn one cannot drive in any place in India. People tolerate all kinds of noise.
Religions want to show that they can make even more noise .. People are very tolerant.
100% true!

We are Indians! :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back