• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Motherhood has no gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

'Mummy' Is Transgender: A New Commercial Is The Talk Of India

Source:
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170415

April 15, 2017

===============================================================

You may want to watch the ad first

https://youtu.be/7zeeVEKaDLM

---------------------------------------------------
It's an ad for Vicks, maker of cold and cough remedies, produced for the Indian market. It's had 9 million views on YouTube so far. And it's launched a discussion on social media about the rights of transgender people.

The 3 1/2-minute commercial, released online on March 31, doesn't mention any products. Instead, it tells what is labeled as a "true story."

A girl in her teens, looking out a bus window, says she's on her way to boarding school because her mother wants her to be a doctor. Then the girl, Gayatri, tells how "mom" was kicked out of her own home when she was 18. And she took in little Gayatri after her birth mother was taken away in an ambulance and never came back.

Earlier in the ad, we see the mother only from the back. She's wearing a sari. Then we see her face, with a red bindi on her forehead. Gayatri looks over and says, "This is my mummy. Isn't she lovely?"

The ad does not mention that "mummy" is Gauri Sawant, who was born a boy and came out as a woman in her teens. But that's the point of the final scene:

"In our civics text books, we read that everyone is entitled to the same basic rights," Gayatri says. "Then why is my mom denied them? This is why I'm not going to be a doctor, but a lawyer. For my mom."

Then the logo of Vicks appears with the words: "Generations of Care."

The story is indeed true, and the the real Gayatri and Gauri Sawant appear in the ad. But certain details are omitted from their story. The child was 6 when her mother, a sex worker, died of AIDS. Gauri, then 27, was her mother's friend and stepped in to raise her.

Some people think the ad exploits transgender people to sell a product. But on social media, where everyone is always ready to express outrage, the response has been resoundingly positive. On Facebook, where the video has racked up 2 million views and thousands of comments, most are a variation on, "This made me cry."

Neeraj Ghaywan, the director of the ad, wrote on YouTube:

"Thank you everyone! Just a note: It is actually Gauri Sawant (and not an actor) playing her part. Of course, legally she cannot adopt a child. Just hoping someday the world will be as one. Again, thank you for this overwhelming love from all around."

"Motherhood has no gender" is a comment that's been repeated across all social media.

The ad has also raised a debate about adoption and other rights for transgender people in India.

Gauri Sawant is an activist for transgender people and runs an NGO in Mumbai. She was one of the original petitioners to challenge the government of India for equal rights and recognition for transgender people, resulting in the passage of a law by the Supreme Court of India.

As of April 15, 2014, application forms for college or documentation have had male, female and third gender as category options. And "third gender" people have been added to the quota for "Other Backward Classes" who are eligible for affirmative action, giving them a chance to apply for jobs in the government or to educational institutions that might not previously have considered them. Other provisions of the law, such as campaigns to diminish social stigma, have not yet materialized.

When it comes to adopting a child, the law in India is still murky. While it is clear that same sex couples cannot adopt children, it's unclear if a transgender person, applying as a male or female, could. The Vicks ad raises questions about what rights "mummy" does indeed have to raise the little girl.

In an email, Nitin Darbari, marketing director for Asia at Procter & Gamble, said the goal of the ad was to start a conversation and "celebrate" the changing definitions of family. "We are overwhelmed by the reactions and the willingness to engage in the conversations and the number of people who have evinced interest/stepped forward," Darbari wrote.

For Harrish Iyer, an equal rights activist in Mumbai, the best thing about the ad is that it, "does something even our mainstream media hasn't managed: This ad normalizes [people who are transgender]. So many times if there's a gay or trans person portrayed, they're a caricature or a cause."

Transgender are human beings with same feelings as any other people we come across in our lives. They do not choose to be transgender but it is a play of nature. Let there be no hatred towards anyone.

I am not sure if TB community is able to accept transgender as regular human beings. I personally know of a TB girl trying to become a boy and it is painful to the parents / grand parents who have no clue how to deal with the situation .. All this boy (girl) wants is understanding

Transgenders deserve respect just like anyone else.
Personally known one who finally died of AIDS but the heart he had was just gold.

I am glad I managed to make him feel respected before he died..still remember him crying to me in hospital telling me that if only a person respected him he would have never become a sex worker.

I guided him to start praying again and being a muslim by birth he started praying again.

Nice article TKS ji..good topic you brought up.

Transgender are human beings with same feelings as any other people we come across in our lives. They do not choose to be transgender but it is a play of nature. Let there be no hatred towards anyone.
Very true.

I am not sure if TB community is able to accept transgender as regular human beings. I personally know of a TB girl trying to become a boy and it is painful to the parents / grand parents who have no clue how to deal with the situation .. All this boy (girl) wants is understanding
It is a difficult thing for any community in India, and not just TB, to deal with such situations as our country looks to be largely polarized on views and opinions (imo).

Love is the language that needs to be spread. Barriers of any kind, race, status, religion, caste or gender are but only man made.

Love is the language that needs to be spread. Barriers of any kind, race, status, religion, caste or gender are but only man made.

LOVE is fundamental to the human heart, one without opposite and is an endowment. It is often confused with opposing pairs of emotions of love-hate driven by likes and dislikes.

What is needed is not 'spreading it' since it is natural and pervasive on its own and is present in every human heart. What can be spread is only agenda driven love-hate ideations.

This natural LOVE is impeded by cultural and religious indoctrination and by wrong notions that includes divisions that mind creates such as race, national origin, status, religion , caste, gender identities, sexual orientation etc.

Our knowledge scriptures teach us about this universal LOVE only using the word Bhakthi. This LOVE is the basis for genuine Bhakthi. If one cannot 'see' other beings and not just human beings with this endowment of LOVE, it means their experience of Bhakthi is masked by the human ego driven delusions.

With respect to transgender or Intersex or Gay/lesbian each being separate categories (though so called 'normal' people lump them together) they are not really anymore unique than any one of us.

In nature rarely do we find quantum jumps in expressions. Instead we see gradations of expressions. On extremes we have male and female for example. However, there are all kinds of in-between states. Androgyny is as natural as anything else we find in nature.

With that perspective, we do not see the transgender as anything different from any of us other than they are unique like the rest of us. We can live and let live.

One other point. Often we resist relating to people who are very different from us.
This so called LGBTQ have existed in all societies at all times. It is just that in a more open societies where freedom of expression is cherished that such states are talked about.

In some countries of middle east, a person could be lynched to death by their morality police.

In my personal experience, not just on this matter of transgenders but in the matters of hatred, there are two types of people that I have come across. Again there is really no sharp division but I am using a division to explain a point.

One kind have their hatred rooted in wrong ideas in their mind. It may be wrong ideas due to lack of knowledge.
Such people will easily change once their misconceptions are removed (assuming they are reaching out for facts).

There is another kind whose hatred is rooted in their heart as opposed to their mind . In my experience, such people hide their proclivities by camouflaging their true feelings using all kinds of means including trying to say all the right things. Overtime the true character leaks out. Now we must LOVE such people too but it is better to stay clear of engagement with them because they have to work out their hatred through their own life experience only. Its root cause is insecurity and wants that is not easy to address.

LOVE is fundamental to the human heart, one without opposite and is an endowment. It is often confused with opposing pairs of emotions of love-hate driven by likes and dislikes.

What is needed is not 'spreading it' since it is natural and pervasive on its own and is present in every human heart. What can be spread is only agenda driven love-hate ideations.

This natural LOVE is impeded by cultural and religious indoctrination and by wrong notions that includes divisions that mind creates such as race, national origin, status, religion , caste, gender identities, sexual orientation etc.

Our knowledge scriptures teach us about this universal LOVE only using the word Bhakthi. This LOVE is the basis for genuine Bhakthi. If one cannot 'see' other beings and not just human beings with this endowment of LOVE, it means their experience of Bhakthi is masked by the human ego driven delusions.

With respect to transgender or Intersex or Gay/lesbian each being separate categories (though so called 'normal' people lump them together) they are not really anymore unique than any one of us.

In nature rarely do we find quantum jumps in expressions. Instead we see gradations of expressions. On extremes we have male and female for example. However, there are all kinds of in-between states. Androgyny is as natural as anything else we find in nature.

With that perspective, we do not see the transgender as anything different from any of us other than they are unique like the rest of us. We can live and let live.

I beg to differ. "Love" is one of the gunas that we exhibit. It is not something as fundamental as "awareness" or "the life spirit".

"Love" is cultivated through appreciation of our own life and empathizing with that of the other. It is born out of respect, and out of a necessity to co-exist with differences. Hence, love requires understanding and maturity.

The next step after "love" is evolving to the stage where inhibitions are set free. One is freed from the results of actions not by any divine will but by one's realization alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back