• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Vengayam Effect Of Unlearning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

I decided to start this thread titled the Vengayam Effect Of Unlearning becos unlearning does have similarity to the act of peeling an onion.

We need to let go of perceptions held on to for a deeper understanding of what lies within.

We shed tears when we peel a Vengayam..thats akin to shedding the layers of perceptions of ignorance.

Then when we reach the core we find nothing..but its in this Shunyam we find Poornam.

Absence of perceivable matter does not mean absence of substance.

So what happens next?

I would like members to share their understanding of the process of unlearning.

Let the Vengayam serial begin.

Sravna.
You start off and officiate the thread.

Dear Renuka,

I would call the vengayam effect as one of learning that is to be unlearnt. You uncover each layer of worldly truth and finally realize there is nothing there and you were after illusion. Then you put together the layers and see the whole truth which you missed earlier.

Dear Renuka,

I would call the vengayam effect as one of learning that is to be unlearnt. You uncover each layer of worldly truth and finally realize there is nothing there and you were after illusion. Then you put together the layers and see the whole truth which you missed earlier.

So its

Vengayam Adah Vengayam Idam
Vengayaat Vengayamudhcyate
Vengayasya Vengayamaadhaya
Vengayamevaavashishyate.

Doctor Mam,

This is something serious...

வெங்காயம் சுக்கானால்
வெந்தயத்தால் ஆவதென்ன
இங்கார் சுமந்திருப்பார் இச்சரக்கை
மங்காத, சீரகத்தை தந்தீரேல்
வேண்டேன் பெருங்காயம்
வேரகத்துச் செட்டியாரே.....

This is by Kalamega pulavar......

This deals with soul, body, attaining Moksha, Salvation, Nirvan, Karma, etc

Think about this.....:)

Doctor Mam,

This is something serious...

வெங்காயம் சுக்கானால்
வெந்தயத்தால் ஆவதென்ன
இங்கார் சுமந்திருப்பார் இச்சரக்கை
மங்காத, சீரகத்தை தந்தீரேல்
வேண்டேன் பெருங்காயம்
வேரகத்துச் செட்டியாரே.....

This is by Kalamega pulavar......

This deals with soul, body, attaining Moksha, Salvation, Nirvan, Karma, etc

Think about this.....:)

So the poet saw God in spices and related it to the human body..tapasya and moksha..
Truly a spicy romance.

So the poet saw God in spices and related it to the human body..tapasya and moksha..
Truly a spicy romance.

It is pun and irony stanza

The spices may be for the laymen

But the hidden meaning is about spirituality...spiritual knowlege..

Hidden meaning is nothing to do with spices.

Hidden truth...attaining moksha...salvation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an allegory stanza

The spices may be for the laymen

But the hidden meaning is about spirituality...spiritual knowlege..

Hidden meaning is nothing to do with spices.

Hidden truth...attaining moksha...

Yes..a hidden spicy concotion.

So Rudhran Ji...what is your personal opinion on Vengayam?

Life-is-like-an-onion-You-peel-it-off-one-layer-at-a-time-and-sometimes-you-weep.-Carl-Sandburg.jpg

Source: Google images

Doctor Mam,

Vengayam as a vegetable may have multiple use for different purpose.

The analogy may be they do teach us very interesting spiritual truth also.

As most of us know, an onion has several layers of skin each representing several identities viz child, son, boyhood, adolescent, husband, father and one’s success and failures, joy and sorrows, trial and tribulations, etc.

As a matter of transformation, human may unlearn undesirable qualities of desire, greed, arrogance, ferocity, pride, conceit, etc etc as a layer...one after the other during the spiritual journey of attaining self-realization/enlightenment.

And when one reach the end, one can only see the emptiness representing love nothing but our heart’s love ‘அன்பே சிவம் ‘

Last edited by a moderator:
The one who used vengayam expression in all speeches was a tamil social reformer due to his being weighed in vengayam in one visit to a village . He did that to convey

his appreciation of that incident.lol

We have one in this Forum who may say that 'An Onion a day keep Doctors away', though the thread opener is a Doctor.

N.B: Onion is considered to have more medicinal properties to cure everything from common cold to coronary diseases.

Onion is a highly rajasic food. It is not to be included in your food frequently and in large quantities if your aim is to remain sAtvic.

Why remain sAtvic? It is an altogether different subject and deserves a separate thread and discussion.

We have one in this Forum who may say that 'An Onion a day keep Doctors away', though the thread opener is a Doctor.

N.B: Onion is considered to have more medicinal properties to cure everything from common cold to coronary diseases.

Dear Sir..I never wish for people to fall sick so that I get more patients.

I just do my duty as a doctor hoping I can help people get better.

If the day comes where I have no patient cos the whole world is healthy..that would only mean doctors have done their work well.

Then I can wind up my practice and become a Mataji to treat the BhavaroginamLOL

So eat an apple a day or a Vengayam a day if you want..both are good for health..be assured at least this doctor does not mind being kept away.

Onion is a highly rajasic food. It is not to be included in your food frequently and in large quantities if your aim is to remain sAtvic.

Why remain sAtvic? It is an altogether different subject and deserves a separate thread and discussion.

Just start any discussion in this thread Vaagmi ji..no problems..may be there can be a Sattva Vengayam too.

Dear Renu,

Do you know that vengAyam is a Vaishnavite?

When cut in one way, it resembles a
disc (chakram); the other way, it resembles a conch.

So, it always reminds us of Lord Vishnu. :pray2:

images
images

Source of pics: Google images.

Dear Renu,

Do you know that vengAyam is a Vaishnavite?

When cut in one way, it resembles a
disc (chakram); the other way, it resembles a conch.

So, it always reminds us of Lord Vishnu. :pray2:

images
images

Source of pics: Google images.

Narayana!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back