• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dowhithra Prathipath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2013, Aya Kgopalanji, mentioned Dowhithra Prathipath in a post of monthly festivals. I kept this at the back of my mind.

I am trying research this now so as to make an attempt to popularize this festival in Mauritius - so as to keep the young reminded of our elders.

As such I would appreciate to have some guidance and materials so as to allow me to prepare a page on this festival. Is there a Tamil name as well for it.

In Mauritius I have never heard it before - I have asked a few Swami (from TN) at the local koils but very little so far.

Nandri

This year it will come on 21-09-2017. Every year sukla patcha prathamai in purattaasi month. daughter"s son are called dowhithran. These sons must spend a day on puratasi sukla patcha prathamai day. mother" parents will get saree and dhothy and jwels and the foood they most like on this dayfrom the grand children of their daughters.

In olden days it was possible. now a days the daughter is getting married at the age of 66 0r 67; then at the age of 91 only daughter"s son can buy javuly and jewels and give them to their mother"s parents. if the person got married at his age of 25 and his daughter gets married at the age of 48 and at the age of 75 dowhithra prathipath can be done.

Thank you KGopalan Sir and Raji Ram Sit. This is much appreciated.

Is it very alive as a tradition in TN these days? If not it is sad. Our religion and culture is so rich.

What can be a reference scripture for this festival?

Many many thanks.

Why wait for the grandson to grow up and earn money? I think the daughter can buy jewels and dresses for

her parents, ask her son to present to them and seek their blessings
on that particular day, every year! :hail:

Dowhitran has to full fill the desires of his Grand parents. If they wish to go kedarnath, badrinatha, manasarover he has to take them there.

When joint family system prevailed, the parents were enjoying the financial support from their son. They could not expect

anything from their daughter. Hence this occasion might have had a great importance. Now, the world has changed a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back