• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

upanayanam muthurtham date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaram,
I would like to know the following clarifications :
We have fixed the upanayanam date for our son on 16/07/2017 and further proceedings such as mandapam, caterer etc. services are booked in the month of december 2016. Yesterday we came to know that even though ADi masam 1st falls on 17th july 2017, but uttarayana puniya kalam falls on 16th july itself. So we should not conduct the upanayanam, due to masa pirappu tharpanam day.
is there any remedy for this or we have to change our dates??
Need forum advise.
My son D.O.B : 20.06.2005 10.20 AM, anusham natchtihram.

have it on 03-07-2017 mithuna laknam from 5-30 to 6-30 a.m. you can do it in your house itself; if kalyana mandapam is not available.

Dear Sri T R Seenu

Might wish to note that 3 July 2017 falls on Monday Svaathi nakshathram navami thithi. Navami is normally considered inauspicious for major functions such as upanayanam.

Technically, 5.30 am is BEFORE sunrise, and is normally considered night when, other than Mahaa Ganapathi Homam, other functions are not.

On Mondays raahu kaalam is from 7.30 to 9.00 am.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri T R Seenu

Please consider following suitable dates and muhoorthams for your son's upanayanam:-

(1) 30 June 2017, Aani maasam 16th, Friday, uththiram (uththra phalguni) nakshathram, shukla sapthami thithi, 9.40 - 10.25 am, simha laghnam, and

(2) 28 June 2017, Aani maasasm 14th, Wednesday, makha nakshathram, shukla panchami thithi, 9.30 - 10.30 am, simha laghnam.

Aasheervaathams.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Suggest two alternative dates and muhoorthams (in order of prefeence):-

(1) 30 June 2017 Friday sapthami, uthram, simha laghnam 10.30 am to 12.00 noon or, if not suitable
(2) 28 June 2017 Wednesday panchami, thiruvonam, simha laghnam 12 noon to 1.30 pm.

Prefer 3 July 2017 Monday navami, svaathi, 5.30 am to 6.30 am mithuna laghnam, if you wish.

Then you will be unable to get the boy at 6.30 am to see noonday sun at 12 noon and chant the important customary "yoksha sooryam drishe......"

You will also have to call in the shaasthrigals at 3.30 am so that they can chant the vital "udakshaanthi" manthrams which take about an hour and a half after kalasha sthaapanam and aavaahanam of the devathaas such as varunan, rudran, etc. and shodashopachaara puja to them.

This will be at dead of night. So will muhoortham fixed from 5.30 am to 6.00 am during brahma-muhoortham when the world is asleep. (Remember the tale of ahalika who sent her husband off for ganga snaanam at brahma muhoortham, assisted by Devendran crowing like a cock?)

You may not be able to serve the proper Braahmana-bhojanam at or near 6.30 am after the muhoortham. Breakfast is not Brahma-bhojanam.

the choice is yours.

Namaskaarams.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

please see the web page. www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=9233&highlight=.

kasaram is very important. there is no pariharam foe kasaram. on 28th kasaram is there. so you should not do upanayanam for this anusham star thara palam is not there on these two days. on 30th june makam star . so in the laknam simham chandran will be there on that day. so it is also not good. you please buy one garudan panchangam. with help of that you can easily find out all muhurtham days.

on 2-7-2017 evening or morning sastrikals will finish uthakashanthi etc; on 3-7-2017 they will finish in the morning and there is another muhurtham on that day from 9-to 10-30 A>M. they will attend that and then come to your house for meals.
on 3-7-2017 only dasami thithi is there in drikanitha and paambu panchangam. see on 4th thread makam star on 28-06-2017 and on 5th on 28-06-2017 thiruvonam star.

Find total number of printing invitations required. print them. Then go to ypur kula deivam temple .Do abhishekam, vasthram archanai with printed invitation pray there. give some donatiom to that temple. Then you have to go to sankara mutt of kanchi or sringeri along with the boy with betels, betel nut, manjal; kumkumam, flowers and fruits. and invitation and get the blessings of your guru; then you have to do Sumangali praarthana detail are there in the website. hps://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=6923&page=3

distribute invitations to your wive"s parents, brothers and sisters and to your parents brothers and sisters along with coconut, fruits, flowers thaampoolam and manjal and kumkumam and thakshinai.

do Samaaraadhanai to sasta or venkatachalapathy or to murugam as the case may be.

It might be thought highly unusual, but there is nothing to stop a kartha, the gruhasthan, from splitting the performance of his son's upanayanam into four distinct sections, each with its own time-frame, its own anughnyai, etc.

It has been noted elsewhere in these columns that there are no less than 40 ghattams, from first anughnyai to final haaraththy.

Presumably, the invitation will tell Brahmana guests to be present at the celebration venue early on 2 July 2017 morning for Stage One of the upanayanam ceremony when the kartha and his pathni will receive the formal anughnyai of the assembled Brahmana Parishad to the accompaniment of the manthram "ruthyaasma havyair namasopasadya......" and the kartha will be presented with the darbha pavithram. The kartha will then present dakshanai to the Parishad with the manthram "asheshe he parishad, bhavath paada moole maya samarppithaam imaam sauvarneem dakshinaam....."

The shaasthrigals will then proceed through the first few ghattams, including udakashaanthi and naandee shobhana shraaddham, and stop for lunch, having completed Stage One. The other Brahmanas will also presumably be served lunch.

The shaasthrigals will start Stage Two in the evening of 2 July 2017,beginning with punyaahavaachanam and go on till ghattam no. 25 "guru upadesham". Then break for the day, have dinner, and go home. So will the Braahmana Parishad.

Presumably, Stage Three will start around 4.00 am on 3 July 2017 (it is still night of the previous day according to Hindu custom) with ghattam no.26 "upanayana sankalppam" by the kartha and his pathni. And go on till ghattam no. 30 "brahmopadesham" at 5.30 am (still night) and ending with ghattam no. 37 palasha homam". The shaasthrigals and guests will then go home again.

At Stage Four at around 11.30 am on 3 July 2017, shaastghrigals and guests will return, for "guru dakshinai", "aasheervaatham", "haarathy", and "Braahmana bhojanam" to all guests and to shasthrigals.

Notable is the fact that during the major part of the proceedings, i.e. the whole of Sunday 2 July 2017, the thithi is navami, an inauspicipus thithi for starting and performing upanayanam. The ceremony would have been begun in this thithi, with the anugnyai of the assembled Braahmana Parishad.

Moreover, the vadu will still not be able to perform his maadhyaahnikam and his soorya-darishanam immediately after his brahmopadesham, as is the custom. He will have to wait till noon, i.e. Stage Four, when the shaasthrigals return after performing another ritual elsewhere. Neither will the kartha or the shaasthrigals be able to do this (maadhyaahnikam and soorya darishanam). All of them can of course do the praatha sandhya-vandanam at the correct time (around 6.00 am), if they wish.

Again, highly unusual, but probably nothing to stop the kartha and the shaasthrigals if they so wish.

The core of the whole samskaaram is of course the "brahmopadesham". Having this done at night, i.e. 5.30 am, is wrong and ineffective. Might as well do homam on an unlit fire or on ashes of a previous fire.

The whole of the essential sandhya-vandanam routine, whether praatha, sandhya, or maadhyaahnikam, is worshipping the Sun as it rises, sets, or stands overhead at high noon. Doing sandhya after sunset or before sunrise is totally wrong, is a null act, and will bring no good to the vadu or his parents (or the erring shaasthrigals).

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri T R Seenu

Whereas doing abhishegam and archana at your kula-deivam temple, visiting Shankara Mutt of Kaanchi or Sringeri with offerings and invitation card to seek blessings of your guru is excellent advice, kindly also note that there are important religious obligations for you to perform personally at home before conducting your son's upanayanam starting on Sunday morning 2 July 2017.

If you are not already performing regularly your thri-kaala sandhya-vandanams and your dvi-kaala aupaasanams, you should revive doiing these six weeks prior to 2 July 2017, i.e. starting Sunday 21 May 2017. If at all possible, you should in addition also do daily1008-gaayathri japams for the welfare of your family including your son.

Sankalppam for 1008 gaayathri japam:-

(Wear darbha pavithram, place two darbhas under yourself, place two darbhas around your pavithram)

shuklaam baradharam vishnum..... + om bhoohu.... mamopaaththa + preethyarththam, doshavadapathaneeya praayaschiththaarththam, samvathsara praayaschiththaarththam, mukhya-kaale akaranena yodoshaha samajani, thaddosha parihaaraarththam cha ashtoththara sahasra-samkhyaa gaayathree mahaa-manthra-japam karishye (dvi)

(Discard the two darbhas around your darbha pavithram but keep the pavithram on; touch water with fingers of your right hand. Start with "pranavasya rishir brahma devi-gaayathree chandaha, bhooraathi saptha vyahrutheenaam....." and do 10 praanaayaamam as for sandhya-vandanam, then "aayaathvithyanuvaakyasya vaamadeva rishi + nichyath gaayathree chchandaha savitha devathaa.")

Sankalppam for praatha aupaasanam:-

(Accompanied by pathni. After aachamanam, pavithra dhaaranam, dharbhaasanam, darbha dhaaranam)

shuklaam baradharam vishnum..... + om bhoohu.... mamopaaththa + preethyarththam praatha aupaasanam hoshyaami (dvi)

Sankalppam for saayam aupaasanam:-

(Accompanied by pathni. After aachamanam, pavithra dhaaranam, dharbhaasanam, darbha dhaaranam)

shuklaam baradharam vishnum..... + om bhoohu.... mamopaaththa + preethyarththam saayam aupaasanam hoshyaami (dvi)

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri T R Seenu

In an earlier posting, I wrote, inter alia:-

"If you are not already performing regularly your thri-kaala sandhya-vandanams and your dvi-kaala aupaasanams, you should revive doing these six weeks prior to 2 July 2017, i.e. starting Sunday 21 May 2017. If at all possible, you should in addition also do daily1008-gaayathri japams for the welfare of your family including your son."

If you find it difficult or impossible to follow strictly the above advice, please try to start two weeks ahead of 2 July 2017, i.e. on Sunday 18 June 2017 and, if even that is impossible, at least three days ahead, i.e. on 29 and 30 June 2017 and on 1 July 2017.

Your family priest will no doubt show you how to perform "vichchin-aagni santhaanam" to revive the homa-agni before the first aupaasanam; and you can carry on from there.

Whether you are able to do the three sandhyas and the two aupaasanams on 2 and on 3 July 2017 itself is a matter for your own personal decision.

There is of course no need for me to emphasise that upanayanam is the most important milestone samskaaram in your son's life. Not only it means your son's second birth, it admits him into the rank of Braahamanas entitled to study Vedams, recite gaayathri and other manthrams and to perform fire-sacrifices such as samidaa-daanam. (Jagadguriu Aadi Shankaraachaaryaar even performed his mother's last rites while a Brahmachaari.)

Time spent by you and your pathni in preparatory rites as suggested above would be well worth the time and efforts spent, if you can afford it.

Poorna aasheervaathams, and all best wishes for yourself, your pathni, and your son the vadu.

S Nrayanaswamy Iyer

Namaskarams. My son's upanayanam is also fixed on 3rd July 2017. I am really worried now. The date was fixed by my mother in law. Invitations are ready too. Now I am worried after reading this forum. We are planning for Nandi on 2nd July morning, 2nd JULY 2017 evening Udagasanthi. 3rd Morning 7.30am to 10am is muhurtham. but Rahukalam is between 7.30 to 9am'

Gowri panchangam - 7.30 to 9am is vizham. Only 6-7.30 am is good time.

Kindly help me. We are having sumangali prarthanai on June 30th 2017 in chennai. Poonal is going to be in Uppiliappan koil. What do I do now?

on 2nd july finish naandhi and uthaka shanthi in morning itself. it is possible. Inform uppiliappan koil people now itself as rahu kalam is there on 3rd july we must do upanayanam from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m..Gowri panchangam is only for agriculture purpose. you must see for these horai. morning 6 to 7 is valar pirai chandran which is good.start from chennai by 3 p.m. and go to uppiliapaan koil.

In the circumstances, Sri K Gopalan's advice is the best option. In addition to informing Uppiliappan Koil people, also inform your guests and relatives of change of times for udakashaanthi japam and earlier muhoortham for upanayanam, so that they can also attend and benefit.

Meanwhile, please remind your husband (or other kartha) of my earlier advice:-

"If you are not already performing regularly your thri-kaala sandhya-vandanams and your dvi-kaala aupaasanams, you should revive doing these six weeks prior to 2 July 2017, i.e. starting Sunday 21 May 2017. If at all possible, you should in addition also do daily1008-gaayathri japams for the welfare of your family including your son."

If he finds it difficult or impossible to follow strictly the above advice, please tell him to try to start two weeks ahead of 2 July 2017, i.e. on Sunday 18 June 2017.

Poorna aasheervaathams.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Namaskarams to Sri. Gopalan Sir and Sri. Narayanaswamy Sir.

We are planning to leave early on Friday to reach KMU. Planning to have Nandhi and Udagasanthi on 2nd July. Since the card has been distributed, Not able to modify the dates. We are performing at Andavan Ashram in Oopiliappan temple. When I informed the new timings and muhurtham, sastrigal is question me about the kumarabojanam timings and all the rituals timings. All the relatives are coming on Sunday morning itself. I should have referred earlier. Since I lost my parents my only sister and brother in law is arranging all. But the date and timings were fixed by someone. I am helpless. Thanks again.

Regarding thri-kaala sandhya-vandanams, My husband is regularly doing 3 times a day. He used to work nearer to home. Lunch time he comes home only for the sandhya vandanam. But he is not performing dvi-kaala aupaasanams. I will insists him the same. He is performing 1008 Gayathri too . After reading Sri. Maha Periyava books, He changed a lot. Namaskarams mama for your kind guidance.

Dear Smt Jayanthi

Wonderful news. Hope all goes well on 2nd and 3rd July.

My poorna aasheervaathams to you, to your husband, and especially to the vadu on his coming upanayanam.

Hope he continues regularly with his sandhya-vandanams and dvi-kaala samidaa-daanams after the upanayanam.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Thanks Sir. 3rd July, our Sasthrigals are planning to start the ritual between 6-7am, because of the kumarabojanam kids cannot eat earlier, they are saying that 9-10am is the auspicious time. I want to explain it to them.

I am helpless. Not sure for to do. How is the mmuhurtham between 9 to 10am.

Namaskarams
Jayanthi Sriram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back