• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Self-Introdictiion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaaram to all fellow-Brahmins Being a brand-new member, I thought it appropriate to introduce myself. Am fast approaching my nineties, but am in reasonably good health for my age. Was born in Kerala, and am proficient in Malayalam, English, Tamil, Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Indonesia, and a few other languages. Now residing overseas, biut making frequent trips to India for one purpose or other, e.g. pilgrimmages, family functions, vacations, and sheer pleasure of travel. Have spent considerable time acquainting myself with our scriptures and practices, by studying under experienced purohithars from India, and continuing to do so. Have a sizeable collection of invaluable Sanskrit texts which I find rewarding to peruse and update myself. Have taken part in maha rudrams, rudra ekadashinis, koti-archanass, lakshaarchanas, pujas, archanas, homams, and pre-kumbhaabhishegam rites in temples, and in graha-praveshams, pujas and homams in homes. All gratis. Have also travelled widely in US, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia and Southeast Asia, and visited Japan, Hongkong and China as tourist. Famiily (all Brahmins and married to Brahmins) is widely scattered over India, Canada, US, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia. Biut keep regularly in touch by visits, mail,Skype, and other means. Overall, we are rather "conservative" than "liberal. Am (or was, while I worked) a lawyer by profession, having achieved status of Senior Advocate before retiring, and having served, as a member of the Administrative Service in Government, as Deputy Secretary, Principal Collector, Secretary to Parliamentary Commissions of Inqui ries, Chairman of Courts Martial trying senior military officers of disciplinary offences, and Parliamentary Verbatim Reporter. Hobbies include DIY, reading, walking, cycling, inter-city bus and train travel, and overseas tours and travels, including cruise on ocean-going ships. S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sir,

Your profile is superb! You must be having tons of experiences while at work, at poojAs and during travel.

Please share them with our forum members. You may start new threads for each topic and also participate

in any other thread that interests you. :)

Tuan yang dihormati...

Selamat Datang ke TB forum.

Moga Moga Tuan akan menyinari Forum dengan pengetahuan anda.

Alangkah bagusnya tuan fasih dalam Bahasa Melayu.

Salam

Translation:

Dear respected sir..
Welcome to TB forum.

May you illuminate forum with your knowledge.

It is indeed great to know you are fluent in Malay language.

Dear Sir,

Welcome to the forum. Flabbergasted to see such macho of an introduction. Seems you have left no field untouched. Good wishes. Please do share your vast experiences with us here.

Profoundest gratitude to Srimaan Raji Ram and Ganesh for their kind words of welcome. Shall try to live up to their noble expectations.

Puan Renuka yang dihormati...

Terima-kasih untok jawapan manis puan dalam bahasa Melayu kita. Harapan saya ialah saya akan jadi mahasiswa di perbincangan awam TB, lebih tepat jadi guru tertingggi dalam kuasa.

Translation:

Respected Madam Renuka

Many thanks indeed for your pleasant response in our Malay language.

My hope in this TB forum is to be a learner like an undergraduate in a university, rather than to be a professor.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Puan Renuka yang dihormati...

Terima-kasih untok jawapan manis puan dalam bahasa Melayu kita. Harapan saya ialah saya akan jadi mahasiswa di perbincangan awam TB, lebih tepat jadi guru tertingggi dalam kuasa.

Translation:

Respected Madam Renuka

Many thanks indeed for your pleasant response in our Malay language.

My hope in this TB forum is to be a learner like an undergraduate in a university, rather than to be a professor.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Tuan yang dihormati...

Pengalaman tuan dalam pelbagai bidang setinggi langit.... kehadiran tuan akan meniup awan kejahilan dari akal kami.

Seribu Salam

Renuka

Translation:

Respected Sir,

Your experience in various fields reaches the sky..your presence would blow away the clouds of ignorance from our minds.

A thousand Salams.

Tuan yang dihormati...

Pengalaman tuan dalam pelbagai bidang setinggi langit.... kehadiran tuan akan meniup awan kejahilan dari akal kami.

Seribu Salam

Renuka

Translation:

Respected Sir,

Your experience in various fields reaches the sky..your presence would blow away the clouds of ignorance from our minds.

A thousand Salams.
hi

salam..lah...

My sincere namaskarams to you. It is your great service to our community .
I live in chennai and work in Private sector. I belong to Telugu speaking Brahmins settled in Tamilnadu by my forefathers some 300 years ago.

Having one daughter appearing for 12th std this year. Request your blessings for her well being.

rgds

Sathya

Sathya

Namaskaaram, Sri (or is it Srimathi?) Sathyaperiyakulam

Paripoorna aasheervaathams to your daughter; deerghaayushu, and may Goddess Sarasvathi keep and protect her always and shower her divine blessings on her for her success in studies and in tests and in examinations this vital school year.

Yaa kundendu thushaarahaara dhavalaa Yaa shubhra-vasthraa-vruthaa
Yaa veenaa-vara-dandhamandhitha-karaa Yaa svetha padmaa-aasanaa |
Yaa brahmaachyuithashankara-prabhruthibhihi Devaissadaa poojithaa
Sa maam paathu sarasvathee bhagavathee Nishshesha-jaadyaapahaa ||

Mahaa devyai cha vidmahe brahma-pathnyaischa deemahi
Thanno vaanee prachotha yayaathu

It is most edifying to know that your saintly ancestors immigrated some three centuries ago from Telegu-speaking territory to present Thamizh Naadu.

As far as I know, the Kannada-speaking, Telegu-speaking, Thamizh-speaking, and Malayalam-speaking peoples of Draavida-desham constitute some of the most advanced and most tradition-orientated communities in the whole of Bhaaratha varsham, Bharatha Khandam and, indeed the whole civilised world.

Within living memory, when alien enemy invaders were trampling over most of our sacred punya-bhoomi north of the celebrated Vindhyaachala mountain range, these four peoples kept alive our incomparable Vedic traditions, learning, practices, temples and sacred places alive. They produced saints,. scholars, philosophers, philanthropists, poets, dramatists, prose-writers, sculptors, and other saviours of our culture, our civilisation, our very way of life as practising Hindus, Braahmanaas, Kshathriyaas, Vaishyaas, Shudras.

Go braahmanebhya sukham asthu nithyam
Lokaa samasthaa sukhino bhavanthu!

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Madam

Are you sure whether he is not addressing your better half ?

He is probably following the proper channel.

My sincere namaskarams to you. It is your great service to our community .I live in chennai and work in Private sector. I belong to Telugu speaking Brahmins settled in Tamilnadu by my forefathers some 300 years ago.Having one daughter appearing for 12th std this year. Request your blessings for her well being.rgdsSathyaSathya
Best wishes to your daughter.I have one telugu brahmin whose ancestors settled in tamilnadu centuries back in my family too.They are more tamil than telugu .

Dear Sri Iyer,

I am proud to welcome you to this forum! You can write on any topic-about our religion, about our community, business or any other mundane topic..My Pranams to you

Dear Madam Smt. Raji Ram,

This is my second response to you today.

Not sure whether your family regularly celebrates the all-important annual Sree Raama Navami uthsavam, which occurs on Chaithra Maasam Shukla-paksha Navami. Mine does. We use the manthrams in the Vedic Purusha Sooktham for the shodashopachaara pooja which includes this 108-naama Ashtothra archana.

The whole of the ashtothra naamaa-vali is exclusively in adoration of Sree Seetha-Lakshmana-Bharatha-Shathrugna-Hanumath sametha Shree Raama-Chandra Para-Brahman.

After the naamaas "Shree Raamaaya namaha, Raama-chandraaya namaha, Raama-bhadraaya namaha, and Shaashvathaaya namaha," we offer pushpaarchanai to

RAJEEVA-LOCHANAAYA NAMAHA.

This is according to the archana Vidhi.

There are Nairs, Panikkars, and others I have met with the name "Raajeeva", "Raajeeva-lochana", etc. who truncate their calling names (or pet names) to "Raji". Some, like Italian former Indiian former Prime Minister Sonia, name their sons "Rajeev", and only the sound "Raji" is heard when they are called.

It would therefore not be illogical for one to assume that a "Raji Ram" in the Tamil Brahmins website is a male named Rajeeva-lochana, has a father named with the shortened appellation of "Ram", and uses the convenient douibly-abbreviated name "Raji Ram" on the website.

Regards

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear S N Sir,

Thanks for your responses. Raji Ram is of course my shortened name!

I don't do elaborate poojAs daily but consider that singing in praise of the Almighty is an easier way to get His / Her blessings.

Though I have a masters degree in Maths, I like to spread Carnatic Music and doing so, to whatever extent possible!

NamaskArams.

Maharajasri. Narayanaswamy Iyerku,

Namaskarams. Namaskarams. Ivlothan. I am nothing in front of your eduction , experience and age. Venum ungal Aasirvathams.

regards,

vasanthivasan

Dear Madam Sreemathi Raji Ram

Thanks.

People I know who had the name Venkatasubrahmanian lovingly bestowed during their naama-karanam by their grandparents and parents, and were given the pet name of Ramani for convenience have, following Vivaaham and having listened to "thalahaani manthram" from their better halves, swiftly abbreviated their name to just "Ram".

Noted that your "better half" is Shri G Ram.

Yes, I am an ardent lover of Carnatic music, and have travelled with family to Chennai for the annual Sree Thyaagaraaja-Brahmam music festivals. Taking that opportunity to go on pilgrimmages to temples such as those in Madurai, Kumbakonam, Chidambaram.

Though I managed the minimum nithya-karmas (including agni-hothram) ever since upanayanam, since retirement I have expanded to a much more elaborate daily routine, including Surya namaskaaram (in full) on Sundays, (Shiva) Mahaa-nyaasam on Mondays, Kaali sahasranaamam and Lalitha sahasra-naamam on Tuesdays, Indraakshi Sthrothram and Durga sahasra-naamam on Fridays, and so on. All these are intensely satisfying.

On top of that, every Saturday I join others to revise my Vedic studies. My cohort is now in the midst of Navama-prashna praaramba of thrutheeyaashtaka of thaiththireeya braahmana of krishna yajur veda. Having an exhilarating time.
Will probably go on to kaatakam later on.

Whenever temples or Braahmana homes invite me, I do no refuse requests to take part in performing koti-archanas, lakshaarchanas, rudra-ekaadashini, koti-naama paaraayanam, mahaa-rudram, rudra-abhishegam, homams such as chandi-homam, vaasthu, navagraha, mahaa-ganapathi and other homams, installatioin of deities, and so on.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Madam Srimathi Vasanthivasan

நல்வரவை சந்தோஷத்துடனும் அன்புடனும் வரவேற்க்கிறேன். தங்கள் அன்புமிக்க சகோதரனுடைய கனி சொற்களை எதிர்பார்க்கிறேன்.

Just returned from a Durga temple after taking part in a two-day morning and evening Lalitha Sahasra-naama lakshaarchanai. The glorious and soul-stirring event was well-attended, with devotees overflowing the compound even to the road in front, but orderly and not blocking traffic. The temple had had its most recent kumbhaabhshegam only in late December 2016. It was glittering like a giant jewel in the floodlights.

The well-versed temple priests from India, the proud owner and staff of the temple, the talented double mrudangam and double naathasvaram musicians, the excited throng of devotees, mainly girls and women, were all enchanted, and stayed late for prasaadam and food, even up to an hour before midnight.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sir, I can interact with you on many matters , since I am retired /live in chennai. Please write your E mail
A.srinivasan / Rishikesan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back