• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sunday Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another sunday .

Eventful week.

Election results with landslide win for saffron party in UP, uttarakhand and congress in punjab.

Our PM has emerged as a tall leader leaving every other leader far behind.

Now with hands strengthened , one can expect more reforms and easier legislation with better numbers in lok sabha and rajyasabha.

If GST also goes through, then there are better hopes for economic revival.

Stock market should cheer the results I suppose.

I went to an upmarket retirement home in bangalore with a relative.

I have posted in another thread regarding that.

When I see those there I felt that even with the best of facilities in these homes, my relative should avoid staying there and live with his kith and kin and stay integrated with

society at large.

Let me see if he can be persuaded regarding that...

Life is becoming expensive.

Milk prices have shot up by 5%

Airfares have shot up enormously due to higher fuel prices.There appears to be a cartel among the domestic players pushing up prices.

International prices are far cheaper..

There is a temptation to go abroad than opting for local locations.

Everything is getting Aadhar based staring with train travel for senior citizens to avail subsidy.

Even with so many cheap sites like oyo rooms , the rates are going up.

Cabs like ola, uber are finding ways of getting around regulations and charge high during peak hours or forgoing to airport.

I think there is a need to increase pensions for senior citizens

Delhi govt has increased it to 2500 pm for delhi citizens for both seniors,widows.

Now far many more have to live on doles.

Krishji,

Adding the pleasant weather in Delhi is very salubrious...Some rains also..Enjoying the week end!!

Another sunday in May17.

Clouds in the morning bringing down temperature.

Women are getting more agitated on various issues.

This is triple talaq week with Modi fuelling further debates. Other sangh activists would not like to be left behind are increasing the decibel level on this issue.

Then in HT today some young woman is talking about the tyranny of old grandmothers and old grand fathers.

I believe , grandmother is ticking of daughters , DIL, grand daughters saying women in salwar kameez look like maids and those in sarees are smart . Grandfather and

son alone helping young grandson to cut cake while women watch from sidelines. Women are shown their place in homes. Men eat in separate pandhi first. Women

including women guests eat later . They also get called into the kitchen for having food or whatever is left over. In case the women look more educated then they are

reluctantly tolerated and allowed to dine at the dining table. This happens in upper crust families too if they belong to so called upper castes.

Again many young girls are getting unwanted attention in public spaces with police trying to harass accompanying boy who thinks of protecting them .The anti romeo

drives are making it difficult for boys to date the girls.Most girls now are trying to play safe. They normally decline male company saying they already have a boyfriend

who would mind it or simply say they have a different sexual orientation{ It is fashionable to say that you are gay or lesbian].

Cow vigilantes are giving a harrowing time to anyone going within ten feet of any cow.I saw a photo of one who had been manhandled for going near cow blocking the

pathway for his car. Cows in the mean time are enjoying the attention they are getting in public spaces.

Heat is getting worse in delhi and northern belt with temp soaring to forties.

Electric cable linking eight flats sparked and got burnt.

Some temporary jugaad with spare cables of couple of hundred metres over ground to restore supplies after three hours.to be replaced with new under ground cables

next week. Out electricity board fellows have evolved a way to tackle crisis.

I am looking for escape routes.

Life is no better in other metros.

2.One interesting question not related to all this?

Did vedantas denote the end of vedas. ie antha of vedas?

Were upanishads evolved to counter the effects of guna and karma specified in vedas? Was it a move to do away with varnas and caste heirarchy?

Have The theory of atma and brahman evolved to end the brahminic superiority?Advaita, vishist advatha or monist doctrines part of reform movement.?

Have other religions like buddhism , jainism evolved to get away from what is specified in vedas?

Many intellectuals think that alternates in form of upanishads were evolved more as a reform movement to end the hold of upper castes in caste hierarchy.

What do the experts here say?

3.Last evening homage was paid to a kashmiri army officer killed by Hizbul while on holiday at his home in kashmir through candle light vigil at india gate.

Hundreds of youngsters and old turned up there.My heart goes out to our forces who are losing their lives in combating terrorism in kashmir.There is hardly anything we can do

f except saluting them for their supreme sacrifice.When will this madness end?

Last edited:
Saw Bahubali 2 today.

OMG!!!!! it was just fantastic.

Prabhas looked so handsome..Rana Dagupathi looked so toned..OMG OMG..both had 6 packs.
Anushka looked so beautiful and royal.

So much like a Mahabharat.

I have not seen Bahubal yet.

The ticket prices are prohibitive though easily available.

Now differential rates more than 300rs plus for weekends and 250 around for week days.

Mahabharat in this forum is more interesting absolutely free for all.

Bhishmas are taking on youngsters.

Even women are not being spared.lol

I have not seen Bahubal yet.

The ticket prices are prohibitive though easily available.

Now differential rates more than 300rs plus for weekends and 250 around for week days.

Mahabharat in this forum is more interesting absolutely free for all.

Bhishmas are taking on youngsters.

Even women are not being spared.lol

But who fears Pitamahans here?

They can be defeated on technical grounds.

Watch them retreat into Reverse Kurma Vyuha..that is they withdraw all limbs and hide in their shell till they come out to fight again.

Such Kurmas then claim to be Avatars to uphold imaginary decline of Dharma.

The only decline that is evident is Glanih (decline) of TestosteroneLOL

It is claimed that Kshatriyas were responsible for upanishads in order to get rid of many undesirable aspects of varna and jaati. .

The philosophical explanations in upanishads to define entities like atman and brahmana was only to get away from abominal practices defined in rig veda which suited

the higher castes and denigrated some other castes .Even here some talk of inferior status of women and those engaged in manual work or business[ Sc/ST and

vaishyas].

It is claimed that Kshatriyas were responsible for upanishads in order to get rid of many undesirable aspects of varna and jaati. .

The philosophical explanations in upanishads to define entities like atman and brahmana was only to get away from abominal practices defined in rig veda which suited

the higher castes and denigrated some other castes .Even here some talk of inferior status of women and those engaged in manual work or business[ Sc/ST and

vaishyas].

Yup..the analytical aspects seemed to be Kshatriya designs.

It makes sense cos to wage war and emerge a victor one needs to have a mind that can cover every known ground from all angles.

Society is a unit...all walks of life and professions support one another.

So there is no need to degrade anyone be it male or female or any specific community.

Most important one needs to admit flaws in any system and even self.

It is claimed that Kshatriyas were responsible for upanishads in order to get rid of many undesirable aspects of varna and jaati. The philosophical explanations in upanishads to define entities like atman and brahmana was only to get away from abominal practices defined in rig veda which suited the higher castes and denigrated some other castes .Even here some talk of inferior status of women and those engaged in manual work or business[ Sc/ST and vaishyas].

Many intellectuals think that alternates in form of upanishads were evolved more as a reform movement to end the hold of upper castes in caste hierarchy.

It is claimed that.................

Where is it claimed and by who? Please quote your source.

Many intellectuals think that..................

Who are the in tellectuals you are referring to? Please give references.

Why not google vedas and upanishads -contradictions and explore?

I will give you one reference

Page 26 Kshatriyas view of vedanta- Book by swami nikhilananda-books . google .co.in

Last edited:
As far as history of India or Bharat is concerned and especially hinduism is concerned, all sorts of "intellectual" opinions and theories exist. One sees a claim that the upanishads were written by kshatriyas but one also sees claims that there were never any true kshatriyas and only brahmanas morphed as kshatriyas etc LOL! In short, people want to appropriate anything what they consider good or intellectual that was present in hinduism/indian society to themselves (i.e. kshatriyas in case of upanishads, vaishyas and shudras in case of language development and bakthi literature) and anything that is considered bad like caste hierarchy is attributed to brahmins! There are enough "useful idiots" in the brahmin community without a penchant for inquiry to believe all these. One chooses to believe what fits one viewpoint. In this case, it nurtures one's own healthy hatred for brahmins!

Why not google vedas and upanishads -contradictions and explore?

Thank you.

It is claimed by great intellectuals that:

1. Originally brahmins were the scheduled castes. There was the equivalent of our constitution called some veda and it had several schedules. So the name SC/ST originally came from vedic brahmins.

2. Originally there were only two castes -- the brahmins and the SC/STs. Because of the intermarrying between these castes there came all other castes.

Now how is that? If you want to know who are the intellectuals quoted here, please go and google. LOL.

Thank you.

1. Originally brahmins were the scheduled castes. There was the equivalent of our constitution called some veda and it had several schedules. So the name SC/ST originally came from vedic brahmins.

2. Originally there were only two castes -- the brahmins and the SC/STs. Because of the intermarrying between these castes there came all other castes.

Now how is that? If you want to know who are the intellectuals quoted here, please go and google. LOL.
See edited reply #11

Regards

Thank you.

I assume that this post is serious.
Is this view true for all India, or is it specific to Tamil Nadu?

கால பைரவன்;384426 said:
As far as history of India or Bharat is concerned and especially hinduism is concerned, all sorts of "intellectual" opinions and theories exist. One sees a claim that the upanishads were written by kshatriyas but one also sees claims that there were never any true kshatriyas and only brahmanas morphed as kshatriyas etc LOL! In short, people want to appropriate anything what they consider good or intellectual that was present in hinduism/indian society to themselves (i.e. kshatriyas in case of upanishads, vaishyas and shudras in case of language development and bakthi literature) and anything that is considered bad like caste hierarchy is attributed to brahmins! There are enough "useful idiots" in the brahmin community without a penchant for inquiry to believe all these. One chooses to believe what fits one viewpoint. In this case, it nurtures one's own healthy hatred for brahmins!

Does it really matter who wrote what?

India isnt the only country in the whole world.

Ancient civilizations too existed...Egyptians..Mayan..Aztec..Greece etc.

Other religions also exist and they have their texts too written by knowledgeable individuals of their era.

Coming back to the present..Most people use Samsung phone ..It does not matter that a Korean designed it.

Likewise...a person of knowledge should be given his/her due respect.

There are different types of knowledge..none of us know everything.

Really?

Cant be a serious post...cos how did IC marriage exist back then!LOL
I never lived in TN. I only visited Tn on short vacations. I remember that my family members all of them Tanjore Vadama Brahmins used to look down on others. Even other brahmins. All the other NB were Shudras to them.

I never lived in TN. I only visited Tn on short vacations. I remember that my family members all of them Tanjore Vadama Brahmins used to look down on others. Even other brahmins. All the other NB were Shudras to them.

Its a known fact that South Indian Brahmins only know 2 types of caste...the Brahmin and the Non Brahmin(a.k.a Shudra)

Dalits too tend to only know 2 types of caste...I have seen a talk show on TV where a Dalit participant was using the term Dalit and Non Dalit.

I guess when one is at the either end of the spectrum they only see from one angle.

Its a known fact that South Indian Brahmins only know 2 types of caste...the Brahmin and the Non Brahmin(a.k.a Shudra)

Dalits too tend to only know 2 types of caste...I have seen a talk show on TV where a Dalit participant was using the term Dalit and Non Dalit.

I guess when one is at the either end of the spectrum they only see from one angle.

Members who don't live at Tamil Nadu describing......???

I only remember five blind men looking at an elephant.....

Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Does it really matter who wrote what?

India isnt the only country in the whole world.

Ancient civilizations too existed...Egyptians..Mayan..Aztec..Greece etc.

Other religions also exist and they have their texts too written by knowledgeable individuals of their era.

Coming back to the present..Most people use Samsung phone ..It does not matter that a Korean designed it.

Likewise...a person of knowledge should be given his/her due respect.

There are different types of knowledge..none of us know everything.

Dear Doc,

I am not disputing what you are saying. I believe as far as our religious, linguistic, and philosophical works are concerned, there are any number of contributions from non-brahmanas.

But your post is tangential to what I wrote.
My intention is to point out the double talk: on one hand, it is claimed routinely that the brahmanas kept all "knowledge" away from the others. However on the other hand, it is also claimed that very significant philosophical and literary works were authored by non-brahmanas.

Do you know there is a saying that goes something like this:

"பார்ப்பான் தமிழும் வேளாளண் கிரந்தமும் விழ விழலே". This is said in reference to the fact that tholkappiam - tamil grammar treatise was written by a brahmin whereas the sanskrit treatise known as namalinganu sasanam was written by amarasimhan (known to be a Shudra) and that these two works are considered seminal in the two respective languages.

The simple point I was trying to make was that the concept of varna and jati and karma theories were part of vedic thought.

Later some seeing the waywardness and actions of privileged varnas tried to modify by putting forth in 108 upanishads some philosophical guidelines along with the

workmen like rituals.In vedic tradition , only elements of nature like agni, vayu, varuna,got worshipped and animal sacrifices to propitiate God ,

Some centuries later, Upanishads evolved to remove the accent on varna and jati and replace with the theories of atma and brahmana.Sankaracharya, ramanuja and

madhvacharya tried further promoted various schools of vedanta.Ramanuja it is said even tried incorporating many from other castes into his fold.

Whenever attempts were made to do away with varna and jati , Higher castes resisted and diluted the order to maintain their privileges.

In this century , dravidian movement is trying to do the same.

Of course, brahmins feel hurt about what is happening to them.

In vedanta ,advaitha, we say 'Aham Brahmasmi and also Tattvamasi.That is Atman [self} is Brahman .I am Brahman.Thou art also brahman.What can be more democratic than this.

Though we subscribe to this philosophy, yet we subscribe to chaturvarna,sanctity and infallibilty of vedas,sacrifice to Gods as a way to salvation.This is the great

contradiction. The latter is brahminism.We can but accept the philosophical foundation of hinduism for a better society based on equality.

This is what has been the greatest contradiction in hindu thought.- accepting vedanta philosophy and extolling also the caste system denying rights to other castes

In vedanta ,advaitha, we say 'Aham Brahmasmi and also Tattvamasi.That is Atman [self} is Brahman .I am Brahman.Thou art also brahman.What can be more democratic than this.

Though we subscribe to this philosophy, yet we subscribe to chaturvarna,sanctity and infallibilty of vedas,sacrifice to Gods as a way to salvation.This is the great

contradiction. The latter is brahminism.We can but accept the philosophical foundation of hinduism for a better society based on equality.

This is what has been the greatest contradiction in hindu thought.- accepting vedanta philosophy and extolling also the caste system denying rights to other castes

Let reform start from home.

First of all, collect all your grand children and spend every day one hour teaching them that they should marry only dalits when they reach the marriageable age.

And forcefully sell the idea of marrying dalit to your close relatives who are preparing for marriage insisting on them to give up the idea of marriage within the community because it is harmful.

That will be far more purposeful than coming here and lecturing again and again about various forms of IC IR marriages.. Because, after all this lecture you return to your cosy home where your DIL is at best an Iyer girl brings you a cup of kapi and you are comfortable with your conscience telling it that these days women have a lot more freedom of choice and they have been given freedom fully along with their free will to act. LOL.

Dalits have been forced to look for relief in other religions.

Dr Ambedkar converted to buddhism with his followers.

Gauthama the Buddha saw the plight of people condemned to life of shudra.

His preachings providing Nirvana as goal through the path of meditation and realising self gave relief to the abused victims of casteism.

Though the intentions were noble, it could not defeat hinduism which absorbed his followers declaring him to be an avathar of God.

Whenever there was a threat, it was counteracted thru absorption within hindu fold.

Hinduism is an omnibus faith .

The believers could rub shoulders with non believers . Jains lost their identity and became part of hindu faith.

Even strident muslims practising fundamentalist faith could be turned into sufis. Christians got a taste of casteism thru dalit christians.

When social changes take place, only those at extreme ends of caste spectrum bear the brunt.

Those at the middle do not suffer much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back