• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thank you for being late - by Thomas Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

I had an opportunity to quickly browse this book

"Thank you for being late - by Thomas Friedman"

It is well written and speaks to the mega trends happening around us.

The jobs of yesterday throughout the structured populations of the world are disappearing due to automation technologies, driver-less cars, machine-learning and robotics etc. This is affecting all countries just like the era of internet and mobile smart phones had and continues to have a sweeping impact.

While I do not agree with all his recommendations as to how to deal with the coming changes, the book provides a lot of well researched areas to think about.

In this knowledge economy one has to be a life long student which is advocated by the author. Even in my career I 'reinvented' myself at least seven times to thrive and survive where I live . The next generation will only see this trend of continual learning a necessity to do survive.

There are many unanswered issues as to what happens to most people in the world if robots and automation can replace most of the careers of today.

I have provided a little write up copied and pasted from author's website
http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/thank-you-for-being-late/

===============================================
One of the Most Anticipated Books of Fall 2016, Publishers Weekly

In his most ambitious work to date, Thomas L. Friedman shows that we have entered an age of dizzying acceleration–and explains how to live in it. Due to an exponential increase in computing power, climbers atop Mount Everest enjoy excellent cell-phone service and self-driving cars are taking to the roads. A parallel explosion of economic interdependency has created new riches as well as spiraling debt burdens. Meanwhile, Mother Nature is also seeing dramatic changes as carbon levels rise and species go extinct, with compounding results.

How do these changes interact, and how can we cope with them? To get a better purchase on the present, Friedman returns to his Minnesota childhood and sketches a world where politics worked and joining the middle class was an achievable goal. Today, by contrast, it is easier than ever to be a maker (try 3-D printing) or a breaker (the Islamic State excels at using Twitter), but harder than ever to be a leader or merely “average.” Friedman concludes that nations and individuals must learn to be fast (innovative and quick to adapt), fair (prepared to help the casualties of change), and slow (adept at shutting out the noise and accessing their deepest values). With vision, authority, and wit, Thank You for Being Late establishes a blueprint for how to think about our times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back