• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kim Plofker (2009). Mathematics in India. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-1206

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

This is an interesting book. Though published in 2009, I happened to come across this recently.

Many of the familiar theorems attributed to other cultures had been discovered long ago in ancient India

An example:

The verses 1-2 of Baudhayana Shulba Sutra state that the squares of any rectangle's width and length add up to the square of its diagonal.[ This is known in western literature as the Pythagorean theorem.

Shulabha Sutra: The oldest is the sutra attributed to Baudhayana, possibly compiled around 800 BCE to 600 BCEwhile the youngest content may date to about 200 CE

Pythogorus was born on the island of Samos, Greece in 569 BC.

Though I am not a history buff, I think it is nice that such books are exposed to children (especially those in India and of Indian origin) in schools so that they have a sense of pride about India's rich heritage in science and mathematics

hi

i heard that some years back....a book named ancient india's contribution to science and technology published in kerala...

in that book ...Pythagorean theorem and value of zero was mentioned....i dont remember the book name now..

hi

Google search revealed......

History of Mathematics - The Indian Contribution

1. Zero and the place-value notation for numbers

2. Vedic Mathematics and arithmetical operations

3. Geometry of the Sulba Sutras

4. Jaina contribution to Fundamentals of numbers

5. The anonymous Bakshali manuscript

6. Astronomy

7. Classical contribution to Indeterminate Equations and Algebra

8. Indian Trigonometry

9. Kerala contribution to Infinite Series and Calculus.

10. Modern Contribution: Srinivasa Ramanujan onwards

Read more at: http://www.krishnamurthys.com/kvforp/VK1/History_Maths_Indian_contribution.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back