Tamil Brahmins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kim Plofker (2009). Mathematics in India. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-1206

0 Not allowed!
    This is an interesting book. Though published in 2009, I happened to come across this recently.

Many of the familiar theorems attributed to other cultures had been discovered long ago in ancient India

An example:

The verses 1-2 of Baudhayana Shulba Sutra state that the squares of any rectangle's width and length add up to the square of its diagonal.[ This is known in western literature as the Pythagorean theorem.

Shulabha Sutra: The oldest is the sutra attributed to Baudhayana, possibly compiled around 800 BCE to 600 BCEwhile the youngest content may date to about 200 CE

Pythogorus was born on the island of Samos, Greece in 569 BC.

Though I am not a history buff, I think it is nice that such books are exposed to children (especially those in India and of Indian origin) in schools so that they have a sense of pride about India's rich heritage in science and mathematics
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    hi

i heard that some years back....a book named ancient india's contribution to science and technology published in kerala...

in that book ...Pythagorean theorem and value of zero was mentioned....i dont remember the book name now..
    asato maa sadh gamayaa, tamaso maa jyotir
    gamayaa, mrityor maa amritham gamayaaa..
    om shanti, om shanti, om shanti...upanishad
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    hi

Google search revealed......

History of Mathematics - The Indian Contribution

1. Zero and the place-value notation for numbers

2. Vedic Mathematics and arithmetical operations

3. Geometry of the Sulba Sutras

4. Jaina contribution to Fundamentals of numbers

5. The anonymous Bakshali manuscript

6. Astronomy

7. Classical contribution to Indeterminate Equations and Algebra

8. Indian Trigonometry

9. Kerala contribution to Infinite Series and Calculus.

10. Modern Contribution: Srinivasa Ramanujan onwards

Read more at: http://www.krishnamurthys.com/kvforp...tribution.html
    Last edited by Rudhran; 22-02-2017 at 07:53 AM.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.