• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Significance of day of death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Is there any significance on which day of the week one dies ? I have been told that if someone dies on a Friday, all 'Aiswaryam' of the house will be gone. Is this true ? If yes, is there any pariharam ?

Thanks in advance for your response

What about the feeling of love for the person who died?

Why think of only Aishwaryam even during grief?

No amount of Aishwaryam in the world can ever bring back a life.

I have seen a funeral where a woman who died on a Friday...her hands were dipped in turmeric paste and her hand prints taken on a white cloth to prevent Aishwaryam from leaving the house.

I feel we should be more compassionate to the deceased and not think of only material gain of ourselves.

At the end of the day none of us take any Aishwaryam when we die..and not to forget about theory of Karma...according to Karma there are no real victims of any kind..everyone has a compatible Karma to be in any situation..so whether one dies on a Sunday or Monday or Tuesday..what we face is our own Karma finally.

The best Pariharam is surrender everything to the Will of God.

Well, well! As far as my learning goes, days of the week are not relevant either for death or for birth. The tithi is significant for death. The nakshathram for birth.

The a-shaucham (or "theetu") does not occur on the day of death. So if you are truly afraid that your "aishvairyam", i.e. affluence, wealth, greatness, supremacy, sovereignty, might, power, dominion, sway, will diminish or disappear -- please rush to the nearest temple on Friday itself before dawn the next morning, and pray for your aishvairyam to remain tight and undiminished. (The aathma of the deceased will surely understand your dilemma.)

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

What about the feeling of love for the person who died?

Why think of only Aishwaryam even during grief?

No amount of Aishwaryam in the world can ever bring back a life.

I have seen a funeral where a woman who died on a Friday...her hands were dipped in turmeric paste and her hand prints taken on a white cloth to prevent Aishwaryam from leaving the house.

I feel we should be more compassionate to the deceased and not think of only material gain of ourselves.

At the end of the day none of us take any Aishwaryam when we die..and not to forget about theory of Karma...according to Karma there are no real victims of any kind..everyone has a compatible Karma to be in any situation..so whether one dies on a Sunday or Monday or Tuesday..what we face is our own Karma finally.

The best Pariharam is surrender everything to the Will of God.

Thank you for the answer. But with all due respect..someone asking this question doesnt mean there is no love for the person who died and neither does it mean we are not compassionate. It was genuinely a very innocent question and this question was asked to console a person who heard someone saying this.

A person does not choose his or her date of birth or date of dearth. (Subject, of course, to intervention by modern technologists who are ready, on request, to advance the time of birth and to delay or advance the day of death.)

Grief, anxiety, love, compassion, respect, reverence, solemnity, sense of loss will all be relevant to the occasion of cessation of life.

Be that as it may, any pooja or other home practices (such as Lakshmi pooja, recitation of Durga sahasranaamam, Lalitha sahasranaamam, Indraakshi sthrothram), can and should be carried on on the day the death occurs, even if Friday. The "pela" begins only on the following day.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear S N Sir,

I am confused! You have written:

The "pela" begins only on the following day
If so, why is the kitchen closed if someone dies in a family and food is brought from outside?

I thought 'theettu' (pelA) starts soon after the death of a family member! And it is the first day of the 10 days 'theettu'.

ஒருவர் இறந்த மூந்று ம்ணி நேர்த்திற்கு பிறகு தீட்டு ஆரம்பிக்கிறது.6 மணி நேரத்திற்கு பிறகு அது பழயது ஆகி விடுகிறது; ஆறு மணி நேஅர்த்திற்குள் அக்நிக்கு உடலை ஆஹூதி செய்ய பட வேண்டும் மூண்று மணி நேரதிற்குள் மிகவும் அரிதாக சிலருக்கு திரும்ப உயிர் வ ந்து விடலாம்..

Hi,

Is there any significance on which day of the week one dies ? I have been told that if someone dies on a Friday, all 'Aiswaryam' of the house will be gone. Is this true ? If yes, is there any pariharam ?

Thanks in advance for your response

There are many superstitious beliefs around death. Sometimes it is hard to separate superstition from tradition rooted with good intent.

No one controls when one is born or when one dies.

I would recommend the family members to focus on doing the rituals as per their tradition.

Within TB tradition there are 13 days of rituals and if done sincerely they will have therapeutic value to get past the grief.

Death is as natural as anything else we see around in the universe.

To deal with insecurities about future or even our unfounded beliefs, it is best to offer prayers to your Ishta Daivam. Prayer can be offered anytime but it is best to focus on getting past the grief for the first 12 days until Griha Yagnam on the 13th day.

Concept of Theetu serves two purposes. It is best not to pick up any germs inadvertently from a household if a sick person had died. It is important to take a shower after visiting a dead person's house.

The other reason is that visitors are expected to be more considerate and bring food etc since the family members are not in a position to be a good host. The planned mourning will be disrupted if people have to play hosts.

There are some customs that prescribes people to visit a household that has had death only on odd days from death (within the first 10 days) . This helps the grieving people to have time to contemplate and deal with their grief without visitors. Sometimes visitors can help in overcoming grief that is accommodated by allowing visits on select days.

The above is my understanding, but I can be corrected

ஒருவர் இறந்த மூந்று ம்ணி நேர்த்திற்கு பிறகு தீட்டு ஆரம்பிக்கிறது.6 மணி நேரத்திற்கு பிறகு அது பழயது ஆகி விடுகிறது; ஆறு மணி நேஅர்த்திற்குள் அக்நிக்கு உடலை ஆஹூதி செய்ய பட வேண்டும் மூண்று மணி நேரதிற்குள் மிகவும் அரிதாக சிலருக்கு திரும்ப உயிர் வ ந்து விடலாம்..
Thanks for the clarification, Gopalan Sir.

Reminds me of an episode. Ram's second cousin was declared dead and was kept in the morgue, in a hospital in the U S of A.

Within a few minutes, his wife (an American lady) rushed to his body (?), shouting that he can't leave her and hit repeatedly

on his chest. Lo and behold! That man coughed
and started breathing! He lived for a few more years happily with his spouse. :thumb:

Many times when body is confined to flames , the body raises due to fumes entering the body.

Sometimes the funeral employees knock it down.

i am talking of non electric crematoriums.

How many women attend cremations in india?

Not many I think.

Ladies are allowed in the halls of electric crematoriums. I have visited the one in Besant Nagar, five times!

Since the body will be pushed in to a preheated chamber, it will not be very scary sight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back