• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

general pooja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody please let me know how to do pooja? I have never done it before. Used to see it from my dad.

Do we need to do it daily?

What mantras should we say daily and what time?
What puja was performed by your dad?Is the tradition being continued? or was it only sloka recitation?Please clarify so that I can give you tips.

Thanks so much, Kunjuppu.

suvarchas,
I don't remember. It was when I was a kid and its been more than a decade.
Generally - do we need to puja daily? If so, how and which god to worship? I am Iyer, Brahacharnam.

Thanks in advance.

suvarchas,
Generally - do we need to puja daily? If so, how and which god to worship? I am Iyer, Brahacharnam.

Thanks in advance.

i think it is a personal thing.

only that i know, if you have a spatikam (ie siva linga particularly sold in kasi), you are obliged to perform daily pujas.

my uncle had one, and even when he went to came to u.s. he used to bring it with him, and do daily services.

when he died, his son did not want to take on the responsibility of daily puja. so it was handed over to one of his nephews, who was already in the daily puja thing, and had no problem adding one more figurine to his altar.

it is all a matter of faith, need and above all commitment.

the only suggestion that i have, is that if you do it, just because your dad did it, or someone hinted that you do it, or you want to do it to impress someone - these are wrong reasons, and very soon you will lapse.

in such cases, best to keep your affair simple, so that lapses are not dramatic. personally i just light the lamp often, but not daily, and this appears to give me peace.

i was going through a rough time, and due to certain outside pressure, went to temple to do navagraha puja. to be honest, i felt that i should not be asking God for favours which are part of living - happiness & sorrow.

i needed more the strength of mind to go through the sorrows, just as i need the same strength not to get carried away during joyous periods.

sorry for the ramble. it just struck a chord in me . thank you.

Kunjuppu
Oops!!. I think you have taken it wrong.

I am not trying to start this to impress or follow what my dad did or something else. As you said, I am not doing this to ask favors either. I see bit of negativity in your post - :sad: Things need to be lighter.

I am getting back to spiritual path and wish to continue to do so.

I wasn't aware what is normally done, hence trying to make sense by gathering information from experienced people like you.

Last edited:
sorry drb,

no, you did not give me any wrong impression. i was just rambling some random thoughts, that's all, touching all bases. sorry about that.

best wishes to your spiritual and pooja endeavour :)

Oops!!. Guess I gave a wrong impression.

I am not trying to start this to impress or follow what my dad did or something else. As you said, I am not doing this to ask favors either.

I am getting back to spiritual path and wish to continue to do so.

I wasn't aware what is normally done, hence trying to get a sense out of experienced people like you.

Daily puja

suvarchas,

Thanks in advance.

Puja is ordained to be done daily for everyone especially Brahmins.It is a form of thanks giving by offering the food what we partake to God first and then take it as His Prasadam.
A Smartha Brahmin is generally supposed to do Panchayatana puja consisting of Ganapathi,Surya,Vishnu,Siva and Ambal in the form of stones like Sonapatra,Spatika,Salagramam,Banalingam ansd svarnamukasila .Abhsishekam and archana is done and then Dhoopa,deepa and Naivedyam is offered

However if adequate time is not available you can just worship your Kula devatha or favourite deity by just reciting slokas.

Dear All,
Just a question,
Can this be considered a pooja?
in the morning :
Recite this: Aum 3x
recite ganapati Prarthana or sometimes any other ganesh mantra
Suryaashtakam
Brahmanandam Shloka
Asato ma sad gamaya3x
Gayatri Mantra 3x
Maha Mrutunjya mantra 3x
loka samastha sukhino bhavantu 3x
Sing one bhajan each starting from ganesh,guru bhajan, devi,
shiva, rama, krishna, sarvadharma bhajan.
end it with general aarti.( no flame of course)
but not done in prayer room but when driving to work in the morning.
can this be considered a valid pooja?

Last edited:
Dear All,
Just a question,
Can this be considered a pooja?
in the morning :
Recite this: Aum 3x
recite ganapati Prarthana or sometimes any other ganesh mantra
Suryaashtakam
Brahmanandam Shloka
Asato ma sad gamaya3x
Gayatri Mantra 3x
Maha Mrutunjya mantra 3x
loka samastha sukhino bhavantu 3x
Sing one bhajan each starting from ganesh,guru bhajan, devi,
shiva, rama, krishna, sarvadharma bhajan.
end it with general aarti.( no flame of course)
but not done in prayer room but when driving to work in the morning.
can this be considered a valid pooja?
It certainly is the manifestation of Bhakthi towards God no doubt.But Puja is in a form of ritual with minimum five offerings consisting of Gandham,Pushpam,Dhoopam,Deepam and Naivedyam

Even 16 offerings are prescribed in elaborate pujas.Minimum we have to offer the above five.Recitation is expression of Bhakthi and cannot be a puja.If we want to offer mentally we can recite Siva manasa puja or Devimanasa puja stotrams

dear suvarchasji,

thank you for your reply.
I usually pray in the above manner because I get to see an open space when I drive.
Kind of feel restricted in a prayer room.

That means I have never really done a pooja before in a technical sense.

I also consider my daily reading of scriptures and related text a form of pooja too.

Does one really have to offer Gandham,Puspham,Dhoopam,Deepam and Naivedyam?

I feel that I cant really offer God anything as everything is His.

Thats why I love to recite and sing praises.

Please guide.

I am not disagreeing with you but rather I want your feedback.

renuka

Dear Renuka ji

By doing pooja, you can treat god as your guest as if he came to the home. You will provide pathyam, asanam, snanam, vasthram, abharanam, alangaram, gandham, pushpam, dupam, deepam, naivedyam. We will first give the guests something (atleast water) to drink when they enter into the home. Similar to that, after washing the feets, we provide "milk" to the god.

By doing poojas, all your senses will be controlled at a single time. Also, by chanting the namavalis and showering the flowers make the atmosphere to get divine vibs.

A lot has been discussed under the posting "Archana". You can also refer that more details.

Pranams

dear durga Ji,

Thank you very much.

I do chant naamavallis but no flowers offered.
Just chanting without anything done physically.

anyway thank you for your guidance.

renuka

Dr. Renuka ji,

I feel pooja is something to make us feel happy and satisfied as we believe as long as we are doing pooja just on a regular basis.

Much often I used to go to temple and offer some flowers to God/Goddess and lit a lamp.

At home, I just lit a lamp, sit in the pooja room, close my eyes and keep chanting some mantras and shlokas with out any distractions. This is my routine pooja before leaving for office.

Here in Dubai...I don't have that facility being in a bachelors accommodation and people from different religion. So, in the morning I go to balcony, look at the sky and read Adhityahrudiyam, and keep chanting other shlokas and mantras. I do this by closing my eyes and imagining the presence of respective God/Goddess in front of me.

All these gives me peace of mind and a sort of happiness.

My Dad, when was serving for Indian Airforce and had to report on a strict odd schedules used to keep chanting Gayatri Mantram on his way to office (as you do).

I believe, as long as we believe in God, have love and respect for God, any form of routine pooja as possible would be enough to keep us composed and human.

I believe, as long as we believe in God, have love and respect for God, any form of routine pooja as possible would be enough to keep us composed and human.

ravi,

correctly said. let me reiterate, that wisdom has no relationship to age. just reading your posts, gives me a 'high'. good stuff.

i am much like renuka, in that i think of God in the back of my mind, most of the time.

i have a pet prayer, which i think, more by force of habit, i chant at certain start point of daily routine, eg on waking up, just starting the car to work etc.

i light the lamp, not every day, but most days. again due to circumstances, and i do not feel bad about it.

to me God is personal, and like Renu, i find the presence of an elaborate altar in a pooja room, very confining, and even looking at the images and pictures of deity frightening.

hence i keep only a small பிள்ளையார், a copper plate of விஷ்ணுபாதம் from my kasi visit, and a small shiridi sai baba. this is my altar, that i am comfortable with.

:)

thank you.

Last edited:
Daily Puja

dear suvarchasji,

thank you for your reply.
I usually pray in the above manner because I get to see an open space when I drive.
Kind of feel restricted in a prayer room.

That means I have never really done a pooja before in a technical sense.

I also consider my daily reading of scriptures and related text a form of pooja too.

Does one really have to offer Gandham,Puspham,Dhoopam,Deepam and Naivedyam?

I feel that I cant really offer God anything as everything is His.

Thats why I love to recite and sing praises.

Please guide.

I am not disagreeing with you but rather I want your feedback.

renuka
At the highest level the distinction between Bhagavan and the Bhakta vanishes as per Advaitha.Hence it is reiterated that:"Soham Bhavena Pujayet"meaning that Iam that implying brahman.

To make it a reality we are indulging in puja,Dhyana and recitation.So even not offering anything to Bhagvan is ok and even we are not distinct from Bhagavan.

As Sadashivabrahmendra states in Sivamanasika puja"Mahyam dehicha Bhagavan Madiyameva svaroopam anandam" imploring the lord to give the true self which is pure bliss
.Hence Puja,sloka are all the means to attain the same goals.I have only given what has been mentioned in texts.Puja or recitation depends on how the sadhak feels he should proceed

Pooja vidhi

I do the daily sandhya vandanam. Apart from that Vishnu sahasranamam, a few ashtotharams, and other some slokas are also the daily routine.
I would like to know the mantras for offering naivedhyam, karpooram, thamboolam, etc. and the exact procedure to be followed by a grahasthasrama. Can someone help me?

I do the daily sandhya vandanam. Apart from that Vishnu sahasranamam, a few ashtotharams, and other some slokas are also the daily routine.
I would like to know the mantras for offering naivedhyam, karpooram, thamboolam, etc. and the exact procedure to be followed by a grahasthasrama. Can someone help me?
hi natarajan sir,
try to get a book called POOJA VIDHANAM
form giri publications
from mylpore ,chennai...they have book called grihasthrama
dharma book too..

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back