Tamil Brahmins
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    We live in this universe of opposites. If there is an attribute X , it automatically defines in our mind the existence of its opposite also. Therefore our mind can only deal with the worlds of opposites.

Our mind cannot understand or comprehend what is absolute truth since anything we can think defines the opposite also making what we see as truth to be a relative truth only.

It can be shown that absolute truth exist by many ways including a mathematical manner that was discussed earlier. Asking about 'use' of this itself is valid only in a relative sense. Absolute truth will lead to absolute freedom.

For now we strive to know the relative truth only by understanding what is false. This is not as easy as it may seem because our mind is wired with all kinds of wrong notions and using our mind to discern the falsehood is not easy.

I raised questionsat many stages of this thread for those that 'believe' in our knowledgescriptures. The purpose is to show that unless one has clarity in answeringthose questions, their understanding is not really an understanding but made upof a set of blind beliefs only.

Our knowledgescriptures not only include teaching of the truth as to who we are and whatthis universe/multiverse is all about, but also present a method ofteaching that can transmit the knowledge 100% from one human being to another.

In my limited exploration over the past decades, I have yet to find a way to refute the key teachings of our knowledge scriptures. I approach anything new with skepticism only to be proven wrong later. Without Sri Sankara's commentary and a qualified set of teachers it is not possible to get an end to end picture that completely resolves all the questions I have raised in this thread and much more. Obviously I am not enlightened but I now know what I donít know.Previously I did not know even what I did not know.

In this thread I have not shared anything new that is notconsistent with the teachings in our knowledge scriptures. What may seem new,if at all, is only a style of presentationand the emphasis. I can be corrected byanyone qualified if they see any mistake in my interpretations.

In this forum, the qualifications to be a member is only to hold a valid email address. Only our writing can reveal what we know. Anyone is welcome to ask questions but if someone wants to put forth their own views my expectation is that their writing should be relevant and scholarly.

This thread of postsis not intended to ask anyone to change their beliefs. The intent is to showpossible conflicts and contradictions so that one can define their own personaljourney and discover the truth for themselves.Though the basic message of our knowledge scriptures is simple enabling us toachieve Moksha, the path to it may not be simple. The reason is that we need tofulfill certain pre-requisites, subdue our ego and erase long held falsenotions. That is the hardest part of it all in my view.

If someone does nothave the Shraddha and the quest to know the truth, it is not possible to makeprogress. In an open forum such as this, my intent is to engage positively withanyone that satisfy the above two criteria even if a person lacks certain attributes.I have many shortcomings and I fully understand if someone is not able toabstract things because those can all be overcome if there is sincerity ofintent to learn the truth at all cost.

Many think that ifthey just pray to Isvara everything will be fine. While prayer can produce apeace of mind , it alone cannot get us to know the truth of our existence. Liberation is actually about knowing the truthof our existence.

While Isvara's graceis needed for one to succeed in their quest, a false notion is that Isvaraoffers grace to only those that pray. If there is such an Isvara that will tantamount to a Dosha in the creation. In fact Brahman Sutra asserts thefollowing

Vaisamyanairghriny adhikaranam
    Isvarais neither partial nor cruel.

Vaishamyanairghrinye na sapekshatvat tatha hidarsayati II
    Partiality and cruelty cannot be ascribed to Isvara on account of considering reasons (such as Dharma/Karma etc)

The first step is to start understanding what is false. That is beautifully articulated in the first line of this Mantra.

ॐ असतो मा सद्गमय ।
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
    मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय।
    ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिःशान्तिः ॥

Om Asato MaaSad-Gamaya |
    Tamaso MaaJyotir-Gamaya |
    Mrtyor-Maa AmrtamGamaya |
    Om Shaantih ShaantihShaantih ||

The simple meaning is

Lead us fromfalsehood to truth,
    Lead us fromdarkness to light,
    Lead us from death to the deathlessness

This thread is tohelp raise questions so that a sincere Sadhakas may attempt to understandfalsehood and lead themselves to the Truth!

Om Tat Sat

Downloads
    Uploads

1 Not allowed!
    Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too self-full to seek other than itself.
    -- Kabir (1440-1518),
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by auh View Post
    So how does ब्रह्मन् change to ब्रह्मा ?
    I thought I had answered all relevant questions but just noticed this.

ब्रह्मन् is the nominal stem also called प्रातिपदिकम् which is derived from the verbal root brh which means to expand, to grow (one can consult a dictionary to get the exact meaning of the verbal root)

ब्रह्म is the nominative singular derived by modifications (Pratyaya) of the nominal stem which is neuter gender.
    ब्रह्मा is also the nominative singular derived by modifications of the same nominal stem which is masculine in gender referring to Prajapati (creator). I received some other questions privately and if the response is relevant here I will post them later .
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Some Questions I received privately as part of a discussion (and it is paraphrased in my language)

1. Why only describe false notions? Are there simple answers to these questions that can be shared here? If so, why not share them? The idea of going to a Guru or dedicate lot of time is not realistic to most of us.
    2. Teaching, it is said, is supposed to enhance humility. In removing false notions can a person become more humble? Do you think you are humble?
    3. Where in the internet can I find resources to get answers to some of the questions you have raised.
    4. You have not participated or even acknowledged some responses, why?

My responses:

1. There are simple answers that can be provided to some of the questions I have raised. I have not offered them here because those responses will raise other legitimate questions as well as irrelevant/illogical/odious responses/questions. Since I do not want to engage with the later I did not want to offer any 'answers'. False notions cannot be debated because one can verify the contradictions. One does not have to go to a Guru to learn. One can get engaged in satsang with others. I have peer-students who I 'teach' and I have peer-teachers who I consult when I do not understand something. Over time the questions will be resolved. There are only two pre-requisites. A genuine desire to learn and a Shraddha (sincerity in any engagement)

2. There is a verse that goes like this

विद्या ददाति विनयं विनयाद्याति पात्रताम् ।
    पात्रत्वाद्धनमाप्नोति धनाद्धर्मं ततः सुखम् ॥

vidyA dadAti vinayaM, vinayAdyAti pAtratAM |
    pAtratvAddhanamApnoti, dhanAddharmaM tataH sukhaM

Translation: Properknowledge gives rise to humility/courage , from humility/courage comes a senseof self-worth, from that one gets wealth leading to good deeds which results inhappiness.

I purposely translated the word vinayaM as humility/courage.

This kind of verse is often abused by those with limited knowledge. They use this to question others as to their 'levels of humility'.

Within many Indian groups (not all) and people of Indian origin, there is a false notion of humility which is about a certain type of appearance to others.

What such a verse teaches, can only be applied to oneself. It is not meant to be used as a stick to cast aspersions on others.

So the teaching of our scriptures do lead to true humility/courage. Whether I am humble or someone else is humble or not is not going to contribute to the questioner's self-growth. People can use their capacity to judge whether what I write has value or not. If it does not they are free to reject it.

If they want to engage, I have always offered detailed responses if the questions posed seem to have a genuine intent. Yes in arriving at whether a given question or comment has a genuine intent, I do make a judgement that is unavoidable in this Vyavaharika world.

The humility is often mistaken as being meek and courage is often mistaken as arrogance. The reason humility and courage are two sides of the same coin is because they arise from the same knowledge-base. If I am describing something that is not my own (and have no ego vested in it) I can respond to criticism without feeling anything because what I am presenting is not my own. I can be wrong in my understanding in which case I am open to listening to others provided they have demonstrated their qualifications by what they write here with reference to our scriptures. There is humility because praise of anything written has nothing to do with me because I am just parroting what is in our scriptures.

3. Internet is not a place for getting proper knowledge in my view. At best they can serve as a pointer to real sources. One will not find what I have written elsewhere because I have provided is my own way of presentation of traditional teaching using my own words. I have provided references when it is appropriate. Answers to some of the questions may be available by lectures of teachers who have gone through proper Sampradaya of learning. A better approach would be to start investing time to learn B.Gita (in the beginning any book would do though one must be willing to revise one's ideas later) , participate in a Satsang, and listen to lectures of Mahatmas that are qualified (e.g., Chinmaya Mission teachers just to give one example)

4. Not all responses are relevant to the topic area. In general, not just talking about this thread only, but on certain topic areas some responses arise out of Dvesha (hatred) that is deep, some come out of the need to appear as intellectual to others in the 'peanut gallery' and some out of perpetual need to argue without content or logic. Some just do not want to understand and twist what is said and argue against a strawman, some have nothing to say and hence turn to attack on the poster etc. These posts are best avoided since they are distractions.

Since the question included about me also, let me say that all my adult life I have lived in USA. Here we have no issues voicing disagreements, we like to be straightforward and even blunt when responding. I had to develop over the years a certain Kshatriya attitude in order to survive and thrive where I live.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Asathoma satgamaya, We human move from smaller truth to bigger truth. "Sat" or "Truth" expands withe the expanding knowledge of humans.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddu View Post
    Asathoma satgamaya, We human move from smaller truth to bigger truth. "Sat" or "Truth" expands withe the expanding knowledge of humans.
    Welcome to the forum ! .. You are right that as our knowledge expands, our understanding of the laws of nature expands. Sat is not just about nature only though.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910