• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Case studies for mind development

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Folks,

I am planning to use this discussion for developing a course for mind development. Your participation would be most welcome and appreciated. I am not able to post on my previous thread on case studies and so starting this thread.

I want to develop a guideline to approaching mundane problems. I want it to be used easily and as an aid to and development of one's intuition. So I want it to be a systematic approach built on objectively assessable parameters.

After discussion by the members I will explain how my method will assess the situation and give suggestions.

Folks,

Spiritual development course is what I want to offer as a complement to kundalini awakening. People so grossly underestimate or are ignorant about how one's attitude can change dramatically the peace and happiness in their lives. I will discuss many of the common pitfalls in people's responses to a problem and how they can be avoided and proper approaches that can offer enduring peace and happiness be used.

It is the soul that does the real learning and mind projected from it reflects the development of the soul and actions and reactions of the mind are in accordance to that development . When one is trying to develop one's mind it becomes a permanent feature only at the level of the soul when the soul holistically considers the experiences of the various births. The development is projected as part of natural features in the mind during the next birth.

There are actually two factors with respect to how a mind works, being nature and environment. In one's natural state, tendencies exist in a balanced way and so it is desirable to act in accordance with one's nature. It is the environment that disturbs the balance and makes one act and react in an undesirable way. It is when a guidance becomes useful so that it may help in coping with the pressures of the environment .

Mind development is about maintaining one's nature and acting in a balanced way and so optimally using one's potential in the current birth.

For the discussion in the forum, I would mainly like to present cases which highlights the various issues related to mind development.

Before presenting cases, I would like to pose some fundamental questions. Having clarity on them would help one understand the problems in the cases much better.

Is it possible to be at peace with oneself when one is virtuous? If not, what are the impediments and how can they be overcome?

It is the soul that does the real learning and mind projected from it reflects the development of the soul and actions and reactions of the mind are in accordance to that development . When one is trying to develop one's mind it becomes a permanent feature only at the level of the soul when the soul holistically considers the experiences of the various births. The development is projected as part of natural features in the mind during the next birth.

The soul has nothing to learn.

If you go by Advaita..the soul too is Brahman but becos of the effect of ignorance/Maya the brilliance of the souls true nature is veiled.

Its just like this Sravna...imagine a bulb...the soul is the electricity...but the bulb is covered by dust.
The dust needs to be removed for the brilliance of the electricity to show thorough.
Likewise...the dust covering the brilliance of the soul needs to be removed by the mind either by Bhakti or by Jnaana.

Finally when the dust is removed..the mind itself ceases to exists..what remains is verily only the Soul which was never bound to start with..it was never ignorant to start with...it never even needed to evolve to start with.

Sravna...please read Advaita again.

Last edited:
The soul has nothing to learn.

If you go by Advaita..the soul too is Brahman but becos of the effect of ignorance/Maya the brilliance of the souls true nature is veiled.

Its just like this Sravna...imagine a bulb...the soul is the electricity...but the bulb is covered by dust.
The dust needs to be removed for the brilliance of the electricity to show thorough.
Likewise...the dust covering the brilliance of the soul needs to be removed by the mind either by Bhakti or by Jnaana.

Finally when the dust is removed..the mind itself ceases to exists..what remains is verily only the Soul which was never bound to start with..it was never ignorant to start with...it never even needed to evolve to start with.

Sravna...please read Advaita again.
i

Renuka,

We can start a separate thread on advaita f you are interested. Let us not stop the flow of this thread.

i

Renuka,

We can start a separate thread on advaita f you are interested. Let us not stop the flow of this thread.

Sravna...I am not stopping the flow...I had to quote Advaita cos your analysis is not accurate.

If the flow starts with a gush of water in the wrong direction how do you expect us to swim? Upstream like a Salmon only to land in the mouth of a bear?

maxresdefault.jpg

Dear Renuka,

Sure you are most welcome to intervene but if you want to discuss advaita I suggest that you start another thread. I will be happy to have discuss that with you

What is being virtuous? It is practicing moral values.

By itself, virtuousness is definitely a good thing but the point is, do you have peace when you try to practice moral values ?

The other question I am posing is, Is everyone inherently virtuous?

Are you posing this questions to yourself or the rest of us in the forum?

According to me, being virtuous means holding high moral values and practice them too. But the definition of moral values changes from person to person. What I value as moral may not be equally moral in your view. So it depends on individual view. More over people now a days never practice what they preach. So it is like every one is virtuous and no one is virtuous type of a situation.

Julia Annas, in her book "Beuing virtuous and doing the right thing" she says " Some one whose ethical thinking is interms of the virtues can tell peoople(perhaps his children) what to do: they should what's kind, avoid mean action, and not be dishonest"

But the definition of moral values changes from person to person. What I value as moral may not be equally moral in your view. So it depends on individual view.

Ganesh ,

I believe that the real situation is tricky. One's nature may not be equipped to practice morality completely. One can practice only to the best of one's ability. That is why knowing one's nature is very important. Then one can lead life in a way that is in accordance with one's nature.

For a person who for example acts as a teacher, killing in any way is a sin but for a soldier in a battle it is not.

So with this idea, I would say that morality as something that is in sync with the nature of a person. But in all these types including a soldier who kills , there is the higher theme of wanting a greater harmony.

I do not understand still. But I believe morality is the right route.

Think Sravna...Think.

There is no real right and no real wrong.

What is morality and what is immorality?

Lines can get blurred depending on state of mind and also orientation to time,place and culture.

So there is no one rule for all.

So how do you propose that Morality is the 'right" route?

Actually...is there even a route?

Where is the path?

Is it a pathless path where you do not even have to walk?

Think Sravna...the answers are actually not even there...cos there are no questions to start with.

Confused? Yes...that is the answer!

Morality and Immorality are just neuronal confusion.

The mind stationed in duality...right and wrong!

Why? Why?

Over to you...If you are still not fully confused.

If you ask me is there any logic in what I wrote...Naah...I dont even want to know!LOL

I do not understand still. But I believe morality is the right route.

Whose morality are you talking about?

Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are distinguished as proper and those that are improper. Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion, or culture, or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal. Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness".

Folks,

I am not able to spend time on the forum because of time I need for my other activities. I will try to contribute whenever possible

Folks,

I am not able to spend time on the forum because of time I need for my other activities. I will try to contribute whenever possible

Dear Mr Sravana:

Kindly take this in the right 'spirit'.

Coming to this site after a long time and noticed that you have several threads on spirituality.
There are no new converts to your thinking. I cannot understand what is making you say the same thing over and over in a different manner when there are no converts.

Some are believers of some sorts before reading your posts but they are not joining hands with you. Some provide the same objections over and over.

Why not ease up on this spirituality stuff that your mind is creating?

No one wants any further 'contributions' it seems.

For your own good health, why not try your hands on something else for a change?

Best,

Dear Mr Sravana:

Kindly take this in the right 'spirit'.

Coming to this site after a long time and noticed that you have several threads on spirituality.
There are no new converts to your thinking. I cannot understand what is making you say the same thing over and over in a different manner when there are no converts.

Some are believers of some sorts before reading your posts but they are not joining hands with you. Some provide the same objections over and over.

Why not ease up on this spirituality stuff that your mind is creating?

No one wants any further 'contributions' it seems.

For your own good health, why not try your hands on something else for a change?

Best,

Dear Shri a-TB,

I and am sure, forum members too ,would find it useful if you can be more specific in what you disagree with and participate in the discussions. For example I find Renuka's objections challenging and making me think deeper though I prefer that it had not turned a little personal as of late. Sweeping generalizations do not serve any purpose though easy to make.

Dear Shri a-TB,

I and am sure, forum members too ,would find it useful if you can be more specific in what you disagree with and participate in the discussions. For example I find Renuka's objections challenging and making me think deeper though I prefer that it had not turned a little personal as of late. Sweeping generalizations do not serve any purpose though easy to make.

Dear Mr. Sravana:

The intent here is not to put you on the defensive but to point out a very specific point. It is not a sweeping generalization which obviously is not helpful.

The point is that not a single reader from here has joined hands with you over many years of your attempts with many threads on your version of spirituality. You have been asking for people to join your efforts.

It is good to reflect back why that is so.

Just because an idea or thought occurs in our head does not mean it is true. We cannot say we are divining truth like that genius Ramanjuan using our intuitive faculties.

Good meaning members have been cautioning you only for your own good health. Please keep an open mind and examine the concern.

Best,

Dear Shri a-TB,

I do understand your concern. Thank you.

You also need to understand the reason why there has not been an active response to my initiatives. I am espousing something close to an ideal and obviously may not be viewed as something practical. But I am strong in my conviction and have what I believe are nearly unique experiences. I have seen both the material and spiritual perspectives and am able to see not only the virtuousness but also the pragmatism in the latter. I very much want to put across my point even if it takes time and effort because I genuinely believe people can benefit.
Edit Post

Last edited:
Dear Shri a-TB,

I do understand your concern. Thank you.

You also need to understand the reason why there has not been an active response to my initiatives. I am espousing something close to an ideal and obviously may not be viewed as something practical. But I am strong in my conviction and have what I believe are nearly unique experiences. I have seen both the material and spiritual perspectives and am able to see not only the virtuousness but also the pragmatism in the latter. I very much want to put across my point even if it takes time and effort because I genuinely believe people can benefit.
Edit Post

Dear Mr Sravana:

You have been patiently responding, thank you.
Idealism and practicality has nothing to do with why there is a lack of response. It is because there is no real substance to whatever you have concocted in your mind. Idealism will always attract people even if it is misguided. Here that is not the case.

Why do you think only your experience is unique? Every experience of every person is unique, don't you think so?

Also why do you think people will benefit by what you have to say? I can say it causes much more harm because you are asking people to follow you to a sand castle which will collapse.
Putting logical next to your brand of spirituality does not make it so.

Suppose a person comes here with conviction and claims that over the physical and spiritual there is another level called ether level where spiritual messages travel. Now the person is convinced that he can control all the levels below having won the ether level. The person claims it will benefit all. If I bring such a person to you , will you agree to be his follower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back