Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Priesthood or misconduct?

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri sundaresan.suresh Ji,

Since our Forum is accessed by youngsters of impressionable ages also, I have altered the title of your thread, while keeping it's meaning. Hope this is okay with you. Thanks.

Regards,
    KRS

The recent news item, about the sexescapades about of a temple priest of Kancheepuram, Tamil nadu has sent shock- waves across the society. That he had the audacity, to use the sanctum-sanctorum of the Temple, for his misdemeanors, is even more alarming.
    The rouge of the priest had a simple plan. He used to drug the women-folk, known to him, and then have sex with them. He would capture the images in his mobile phone camera, black-mail the unfortunate women with those pictures and force them to resubmit themselves to his desires. The women, afraid of the back-lash and the consequent social-stigma, kept quite. However, both cases of sex with mutual consent and rape have been reported. It is also alleged, that an accomplice of the priest, had video graphed the entire episodes and circulated them in CD forms. All this in a temple town with more than 1000 temples to boast about!
    This issue, in my opinion, brings to light to 2 factors; the necessity of a regulating /governing body among priests and secondly, the general societal mindset in accepting irregularities and misbehaviours .
    I am not fully aware whether there is any recognized body for temple priests. In a country where every group including “mudi thirutuvor” and “arukkanis” has their own “sangam” why not priests? If there isn’t one, they must form one immediately, so that such individual behaviours do not tarnish the image of the profession as a whole. If there is one already, it must immediately condemn strongly, this worthless behavior. The body must pay particular attention to its enlistment. Only worthy individuals must be included. It must act as a custodian for their common rights, working conditions, minimum livelihood etc. This is especially true in case of temples owned by Hindu Endowment Ministry of the State Government where all sorts of wrong-doings are retorted to. The body must take upon itself, the task of providing proper training, to its members, for conduct of pujas and rituals etc. This will lift the image of the priest and also give their profession, a much needed fillip.
    Generally speaking our tolerance towards irregularities has increased. We seem to be putting up with anything and everything. We must be more proactive in appreciating good works and condemning evil deeds. Society has failed in its role as a watch-dog. It has not been able to do justice to its position of a safe-keeper of values. Why is there is no public outcry against such atrocious behaviour? One case has come to light but thousands of such cases might be brewing. We must raise again injustice.
    To conclude, I would suggest all members of TAMIL BRAHMIN.COM to voice their protest against the misconduct of the concerned priest. I would urge the police (a case has already been registered) and judiciary not to fall prey to vested interests and ensure that the guilty is punished.
    Last edited by KRS; 12-12-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    ss,

i missed this rather interesting post, for one whole week. looks like, other forum members have missed it too.

so, let me, please make an attempt to revive it.

i agree with you that the sanctity of the temple has been violated. the priest must be brought to justice, and hopefully banished from practising his profession again.

i do not know much about law, as to whether the priest's sexual episodes would qualify for blasphemy or classified under the criminal code.

however, i am not so sure about your quote 'Generally speaking our tolerance towards irregularities has increased' why would you say this?

all because of this one naughty priest? there are bad apples in every basket. why not consider this as a onesome incident? unless you are aware of orgies in several other temples, which have not been reported.

i agree, that times and mores are fast changing. i am told that there are condom dispensers in the men's toilet in the call centres. would you consider that as progress or degradation.

back to this priest. i found it disgusting that the priest would use the temple சன்னதி for his amorous adventures. but to me, if he is of the promiscuous variety, it would be ok, to use a hotel or his house.

these days, taking pictures of sexual conquests appear to be the norm. though i do not indulge in this type of voyeurism myself, if someone else gets a kick out of it, that is ok with me.

public morals, i find, is a very grey area to police. you have hit on a very bright and exciting topic. hope the public will respond.

thank you.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear All,

The priest had comitted a criminal offence. Let the law deal with him.
    A criminal act can be commmited by anyone regardless of proffesion.
    I dont think there should be a protest.
    We have not heard his side of the story.
    Its takes two to tango.
    Every human has faults in them , i am not supporting his act but let him also have a fair trial.
    What about the guy in the handphone shop who circulated the priest in action when the phone was sent for repair.
    Shouldnt he also be dealt with by the law for circulating private material?
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    One of my staff told me that he saw a video about the incident and was terribly shocked.

The law has to punish the culprits with maximum possible punishments.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    It is disgusting that what i would say. Yes we are all human. But once you take a certain task u must ensure that you do not cross the line. If you cannot , then just come out of it
    Yes it takes to two tango but if it is by seduction then it is wrong

R SANKAR
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sundaresan.suresh View Post
    Dear Sri sundaresan.suresh Ji,

Since our Forum is accessed by youngsters of impressionable ages also, I have altered the title of your thread, while keeping it's meaning. Hope this is okay with you. Thanks.

Regards,
    KRS

moderator, i am surprised.

are we all not of an impressionable age here? at 59, would i like to be termed as an old fogey or a youngster? is this not all of the mind?

seriously speaking, sir, i think you are going a wee bit overboard here, in modifying the original post. the title was lame enough for everyone to ignore it intially.

i could understand it, if you had spiced it up a bit, in the interest of improving readership. but to tone down, an already lame but informative title/post, probably copied verbatim from elsewhere, does not appear to behoove good moderation.

once again youngsters of impressionable age? do you mean swami, ravi, sabesan, venkat, saptha, nara, happy (she quite knows the facts of life to the best of my knowledge) or moi?

i beg to disagree.

cheerfully though. as always
    Last edited by kunjuppu; 12-12-2009 at 11:41 PM.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri kunjuppu Ji,

One of the requirements for a post to be allowed in this Forum is that the information is not vulgar. The original title was not only vulgar, it was not accurate to describe the topic. I have only moderated the title not any of the discussion. Besides, this change does not alter, in my view, the meaning the originator wanted to convey.

By the way, there are more than 150 people who do not sign in to contribute but seem to visit and read us daily. While for the people who you mentioned including myself, the title is not shocking, I need to take in to account all our members' sensibilities. As you very well know from a recent example, what you consider as a joke is not understood by others as such. We just need to be sensitive to all our members' sensibilities, which span a wide spectrum.

Please in the future, if you disagree with any moderation, being a stellar member of this Forum, it would be nice if you send us a private mail first. This way we can avoid getting in to a situation where a moderator's job is made unnecessarily more difficult and we have to respond to a valuable member's request in public that in a way diminishes all. I have been requesting such a process from all of you for a while and it seems to be falling on deaf ears. Thank you.

Regards,
    KRS
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    ..........Please in the future, if you disagree with any moderation, being a stellar member of this Forum, it would be nice if you send us a private mail first. This way we can avoid getting in to a situation where a moderator's job is made unnecessarily more difficult and we have to respond to a valuable member's request in public that in a way diminishes all. I have been requesting such a process from all of you for a while and it seems to be falling on deaf ears. Thank you.

Regards,
    KRS
    thank you sir moderator.

i do bow before thee, re moderation. having been there, & done that, i admire the way you moderate. it was beyond me. so there goes another applause, for which, please take a bow.

sir, this is a public forum. i think, the more open we are in discussing, among all things, moderation included, is a source of strength for us all, the forum, and above all, the moderation process, and overall the moderators themselves.

why hide behind the shells of private messages. what would be the result? an unexplained yanking away of a post? an unexplained ban of a member? a seemingly (to the public eye atleast) alteration of a title or a post, with the most succinct of explanations (as it happened to this one?)

sir, as a self proclaimed libertarian, and a proud citizen of the u.s.a. and its ideals, would you not agree, that an open and freely expressed discussion of the affairs of this forum, is but appropriate, within our forum constitution? aka mission statement, published very clearly.

i think, our strength, and also the process of bonding between members is enhanced and strengthened in keeping this openness, not only between the moderator & the members, but also within members.

take for example, drs had a problem with my post. he is absolutely correct in the plaint, and i hope, i did the right thing in not only apologizing, but removing the post.

would i have it another way. no way sir! i feel my strength is that drs felt comfortable to chide me, knowing very well, that i would not rise in anger or egotistical contempt. i consider my strength is respond in a way, that our friendship, and above all, that drs feels that he has an open channel of communcation with me. all the time.

so moderator, in this context, i feel, that your approach, though could sound logical and efficient from your end, from the view of the common public, of which i claim to be one, reminds of the watergate affair, and nixon's over the himalayan effort to hide it.

there is no more harm done, than in trying to acknowledge the harm already committed. the strength of a free society which this forum, i hope endears to be, is its adherence to the values of its constitution, and when challenged, i hope, use the tools such as logic, rhetoric and reasoning, to prevail not only its existence, but its growth, and ultimate flourishment.

let us go for an open society, within the constraints of the constitution of this forum.

whew!!!! that took a lot of brain work. let me retire here

thank you

ps. who ever said that a moderator's job was easy? where did you get that assumption?
    Last edited by kunjuppu; 13-12-2009 at 05:07 AM.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri kunjuppu Ji,

Let me reiterate - the purpose for asking for a private message from the Forum members is not to hide anything and to be non transparent. Your assumption on this is wrong.

If one wants to be publicly acknowledged that one's complaint has no merit, such as yours, then, okay, let us discuss all this in public. The reason, sir, to request a private message is not to embarass the person questioning the moderation and not the other way around. Because, by definition, a moderator acts according to Forum's rules, unless it is decided not so by the owner and moderators, which happened in your case.

Yes, you did deal with Sri drsundaram ji one on one, but the fact remains that you did hurt his feelings. If you do not care about trampling over others' feelings and after you do offer an apology, and feel that that is okay, then, what can I say? Being a libertarian on my part does not involve areas where knowing that we have conservative members who would be offended by certain words to boldly make statements that would offend those sensibilities and withdraw them later with an apology. By the way, what does it have to do with my personal inclination towards libertarianism? In my moderator's role that does not come in to play. What matters is the overall well being of this Forum. Unfotunately because you have not understood this basic fact, you are not a moderator anymore. I stand here to affirm that I have moderated with an even hand despite the doubts expressed by Sri malgova mango Ji and Sri seshadri subramanian Ji, who doubted that I could moderate with an even hand because they thought that I was a progressive. Sir, I do not think that you followed the moderation with the same even handedness.

As I have said, certain words are offensive and vulgar and the moderators have the sole judgement about defining what they are and moderating on them.

I am not complaing about a moderator's job being difficult, nor did I mention that you have said so - but it is surprising to hear these words coming from an erstwhile moderator who ought to know better.

This is the last time I am going to discuss about questions about moderation in this forum publicly. In the future, if such questions are raised in an open forum they will be deleted. Sri Praveen Ji has established this as a directive clearly earlier. The only reason I am engaged in this conversation with you in public is because of your standing as a valued member of this Forum. I am sorry to say you are overstepping your bounds in this regard. You are violating the clearly established directives.

Please keep your back handed compliments about moderation to your own good self. I think you are on a path to disrupting the smooth functioning of this Forum and I don't understand your motives. Thank you.

Regards,
    KRS
    Last edited by KRS; 13-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raman Sankaranarayanan View Post
    It is disgusting that what i would say. Yes we are all human. But once you take a certain task u must ensure that you do not cross the line. If you cannot , then just come out of it
    Yes it takes to two tango but if it is by seduction then it is wrong

R SANKAR

Dear R Sankar,

How many people in this world actually uphold a task righteously all through out?
    Many other people even in other man percieved noble proffesions have destroyed the sanctity of their task also.
    Sexual misconduct is not the only way to destroy sanctity.
    Isnt a doctor who preforms abortions for monetary gain also destroys the sanctity of the medical proffession?

I can never forget this incident when I was a medical student in India.
    A senior female gynaecologist was conducting a delivery for a woman who was carrying a deformed baby called anancephaly.
    The child was already dead in utero and when the child was delivered the gynaecolgist let it fall on the floor and there was a loud thud.She never bothered to pick up the dead baby and went about work as normal neither did she ask anyone else to pick the dead baby up.
    I was just shocked to see that.
    The doctor noticed my expression and asked me what the problem was
    I asked her politely if I could carry the dead baby and place it on a tray
    The doctor got mad with me and said these words" why do you need to bother, its dead and deformed.Either shut up or get out of the class"
    I chose to get out of the class.
    I lost all respect for her as she failed to have respect for a human body that too a dead new born.
    To the college she was this respected doctor.
    To me I still feel she's not even fit to be called a human.

Let the priest have a fair trial.
    Last edited by renuka; 13-12-2009 at 12:18 PM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast