• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How did Arjuna get the celestial bow Gandiva?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bow Gandiva was created by God Brahma, the Creator.
No ordinary person could wield the Gandiva bow.
It was one of the most sought after celestial bows.
And it was worshiped by Devas, Gandharvas and Danavas.
How did Arjuna get the bow Gandiva?
What is the story behindArjuna getting the Gandiva?

Arjuna acquired the celestial bow Gandiva by way of a divine plan of GodBrahma.
The details of the story are explained in Mahabharata, Book:1,Adi Parva,Khandava-daha Parva.
{i}God Brahma wanted Agni to consume the Khandava forest, as the dreadfulforest Khandava, which was the abode of the enemies of the gods, which Agni hadonce consumed to ashes at the request of the gods, had become the home ofnumerous creatures.
God Brahma also wanted Agni to regain his health by consuming the Khandavaforest{as Agni had developed an illness due to excessive consumption ofsacrificial butter}.

Agni had lost his health due to drinking clarified butter for twelve years.The details are as follows:-

At the sacrifice of king Swetaki, Agni had drunkclarified butter for twelve years. Indeed, clarified butter had been pouredinto Agni's mouth in a continuous stream for that period. Having drunk so muchbutter, Agni, satiated, desired not to drink butter again from the hand ofanybody else at any other sacrifice.

Agni became pale, having lost his colour, and hecould not shine as before. He felt a loss of appetite from surfeit, and hisenergy itself decreased and sickness afflicted him.

{ii}As directed by God Brahma, Agni made valiant efforts to consume theKhandava forest.But, Indra foiled the attempts of Agni by sending heavydownpours of water, as he wanted to protect Takshaka the Naga ,living in thatforest.Agni tried seven times to achieve his objective, but each of hisattempts met with failure as Indra foiled all of them.

{iii}Agni again approached God Brahma and informed him that Indra wasfoiling all his attempts to consume the Khandava forest.God Brahma theninformed Agni that Narayana and Nara had taken birth as Krishna and Arjuna.AndAgni was asked to take the help of Arjuna and Krishna to consume the Khandavaforest.

{iv}Agni then approached Arjuna and Krishna , who were resting near theYamuna river and explained his problem to them.

{v}Arjuna and Krishna agreed to help Agni. But,Arjuna,pointed out hisrequirements to Agni and said:-

I have numberless excellent celestial weapons withwhich I can fight even many wielders of the thunderbolt.

But, O exalted one, I have no bow suited to thestrength of my arms, and capable of bearing the might I may put forth inbattle.

In consequence of the lightness of my hands also Irequire arrows that must never be exhausted. My car also is scarcely able tobear load of arrows that I would desire to keep by me. I desire celestialsteeds of pure white, possessing the speed of the wind; and a car possessingthe splendour of the sun and the clatter of whose wheels should resemble theroar of the clouds.

Then, there is no weapon suited to Krishna's energyand with which Madhava can slay Nagas and Pisachas. O exalted one, it behoveththee to give us the means by which success may be achieved and by which we maythwart Indra in pouring his showers upon that extensive forest. O Pavaka, weare ready to do all that manliness and prowess can do. But, O exalted one, itbehoveth thee to give us the adequate means.

{vi}Agni then paid his respects to Varuna and made the following request :-

Give me without loss of time that bow and quiver,and that ape-bannered car also, which were obtained from king Soma. Partha willachieve a great task with Gandiva, and Vasudeva also with the discus! Giveboth, therefore, unto me today.

{vii}Varuna then gave that wonderful jewel of abow{Gandiva} that was endued with great energy. That bow was the enhancer offame and achievements, and was incapable of being injured by any weapon. It wasthe chief of all weapons, and the grinder of them all. And it was the smiter ofhostile armies and was alone equal to a hundred thousand bows. It was themultiplier of kingdoms, and was variegated with excellent colours. It waswell-adorned, and beautiful to behold, and without a mark of weakness or injuryanywhere. And it was always worshipped both by the celestials and theGandharvas.

Varuna also gave two inexhaustible quivers, and healso gave a car furnished with celestial weapons and whose banner bore a largeape. Yoked unto that car were steeds white as silver of the fleecy clouds, andborn in the region of the Gandharvas, and decked with golden harness, andresembling in fleetness the wind or the mind. And it was equipped withimplement of war, and was incapable of being vanquished by the celestials orthe Asuras. Its splendour was great and the sounds of its wheels wastremendous. It delighted the heart of every creature that looked at it.

{viii}As explained in the aforesaid paragraphs, Arjuna thus acquired thebow Gandiva, from Varuna, as per a divine plan of God Brahma.

Reference-Mahabharata Book:1,Adi Parva, Khandava-daha Parva.

Reference link:- http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01226.htm

Sorry to intervene!

The full OP is just C n P of the Q and answer given by Sri. Uday Krishna - edited 14 hours ago, in the following page:

mythology - How did Arjuna get the celestial bow Gandiva?

Good detective work, and superfast. I wish people would would give proper credit when plagiarising.

You are better than plagiarizing software. Congratulations.

Why give bad name to GHEE.
[FONT=sofia_pro_lightregular]Modern science now verifies what Ayurvedic health science has said for thousands of years: Ghee has a host of health and cooking benefits and is good for the mind and spirit.
[/FONT]
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/15-amazing-benefits-of-ghee.html

Last edited:
Thank you Prasad Sir.

It is necessary to give the link of the page when perfect C n P is done, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back