• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

RG nonpolitical views

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to visit Mangalore often. Generally the auto drivers charge only the amount shown in the meter. However, after 10 p.m. extra charges will be levied.

Go for shared Uber..It will be cheaper than an auto...I booked a shared Uber in Gurgaon...Distance is 16 kms..I could do in Rs 90 which you cannot even imagine in an auto!!

Combining the old adage about death and taxes, French authorities have sent a demand for property duties to a dead woman -- addressed to her grave in a small town in Brittany. News
Duty (un)conscious officers

The modern age Vikramaditya story.
If mother becomes his great grand father's grand daughter,
Her son becomes her great grand son.
We have to approah a vedal to solve this which is more complcated than the 32nd story of Vikramadhithya
If K. Balachandar were alive, we could have expected a superhit picture based on this theme

US woman discovers husband is her own grandfather - Times of India
A 24-year-old woman in the US has received a 'terrible shock' after she discovered that her 68-year-old husband was her grandfather. The couple, who have been…

Mumbai: Pitru Paksha rituals kill thousands of fish in Banganga Tank: News
Pithrus seem to have become Sathrus to the fish

Ritual pollution seems to be on the increase. Vinayaka Chathurthi caused its own pollution of water bodies due to the immersion of chemically coated Vinayaka idols. Durga pooja also causes similar type of pollution. Deepavali causes air and sound pollution. Holi causes pollution due to harmful chemical powders used to sprinkle and spray on others. Thus each of our festivals seem to cause some pollution or other, harmful to the ecosystem. We Hindus are nature lovers and worshippers and we glorify water, air, soil and so on through many of our rituals and festivals. The intention of our festivals is to pay homage to our Gods of nature and the different manifestations of the supreme in the form of various Gods and Goddesses. Our respect for our animals is exhibited by the fact that some of the animals are honoured by making them the vehicles of the Gods and Goddesses. Our respect for plant life is displayed by planting trees specific to each temple and the soil there, known as Sthalavrikshas. With so much of love and respect to nature, we should make all our festivals pollution free. This is my wish as a Hindu and also as an environmental engineer.

Now "Iyoh" and "Aiyah" (ஐயோ and ஐயா) are included in the British Oxford dictionary.
If you welcome ir, say "Aiyah".
If you oppose it , say "Aiyoh"
English is becoming more homely. Is'n it? Acha

The word Aiyoh is now in the Oxford English Dictionary
How many times does your answer to a question thrown at you in your day begin with “Aiyoh” or a variant of that? Or does the word creep into your day’s talk at some point?…

Hindu son can divorce wife if she wants to separate him from his parents News
It should be the joint responsibility of both the husband and the wife to take care of both their parents. While there are several checks to safeguard the girl, the boy is left to the lurch as per the existing law. The law should take care of all in laws, son in law, daughter in law, mother in law and father in law. In today's world, where the girl has equal share in property, is educated and starts earning, the husband and the wife both need to be protected by law and where necessary from each other also.

Matthew forces evacuation of 2m in US, after killing over 300 in Haiti TOI
Why such a powerful country could not arrest this killer and charge him for grave offenses.
Sorry "Mathew" is not a fellow, but Hurricane named so.
Our heartfelt condolences to all those who lost their kith and kin and personal possessions. I wish that those evacuated are resettled comfortably at the earliest possible time.

Something unpalatable which the youngsters of today may not agree with me:

Are we in dire need of pizzas and burgers, Pepsis and cokes, KFCs and McDonald's?

Don't we have enough varieties of our own chaats, snacks and a host of eatables,

dishes and drinks completely native, healthy and quite tasty to suit our taste buds?

If only we try to improve the presentation, hygiene and marketing of these Indian varieties throughout the world, for which there seems to be a growing craze among foreigners, this can effectively deter our youngsters from falling a prey to every thing western, even in such matters as food, at the cost of our own food.

DEVELOPING A UNIVERSAL TASTE FOR FOOD IS DESIRABLE AND GOOD,

BUT NOT AT THE COST OF OUR OWN NATIVE FOOD

CHERISHED BY OUR FOREFATHERS (MALE CHAUVINISM, WHY NOT FOREMOTHERS!) FOR CENTURIES.

My concern

It is a pity that I am not able to converse with my grand children freely because I am not able to hear half of what they speak ( because of my inaudibility) and I am not able to understand half of what they say ( because of their accent ). There is no substitute to talking to our children in our own tongue. English seems to have taken over completely and has become the virtual mother tongue of the younger generation. None of them is able to read or understand what I write in Tamil and that is one of the reasons why I have to write even the family and personal episodes in English. It is indeed regrettable that they are drifting from the Indian mainstream and are getting westernised. But one silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud is that their parents are exposing them now and then to our culture, tradition and ways of living. But this will remain a temporary phenomenon and the generation next to them will become totally alien to our culture and I am sure after a century, one of them will be interested in tracing roots by coming as total strangers to this country and studying that as part of their research project.

Some very vital, interesting and absorbing facts about trees which most of us are not aware of. We know trees have life, but they seem to have an instinct too in addition to emotions and feelings. Let us compare not the people to trees and insult tthem hereafter

Last edited:
Karachi's cafe called Sattar Buksh, which is a parody of the famous international chain Starbucks, the mere mention of LoC makes the food lovers salivate.

Why?

Well, that's because this Pakistan-based cafe serves a special pizza called the LoC.

which has beef on one half of its crust while the other half is vegetarian. While the Indian flag stands tall on the vegetarian side of the pizza, the flag of Pakistan stands erect on the other side.

Last edited:
No lavatory no salary,

BHOPAL: In the tribal Shahdol district of Madhya Pradesh, state government employees won't get their salaries if they don't construct toilets at home and get it verified from officials. To actively push Modi's flagship project -open defecationfree India -the district administration has made it mandatory for employees to construct toilets to be able to draw salaries. "Only government employees can be prime movers of the Swachh Bharat Mission. This will turn them into role models," said district collector Shahdol, Mukesh Kumar Shukla.

News

It is a shame that people who draw salaries and even many others who do not draw any salary own TVs and Cell phones but do not have a toilet. It is not enough if they have a toilet, they must USE it.

Last edited:
Is it Kolu or Golu?

Is Golu a Tamil word or a Telugu word.

During Krishnadevaraya period, this festival was introduced in Tamilnadu.

This is a great festival for nine days (nava) or ten (dasa) with no pollution of the environment.

The only problem is one may suffer from indigestion due to the daily Sundal Prasadam. the prasadam items nowadays seem to get extended to include sweets and other Savory items too.

Like Deepavali lehiam,, why not a Navarathri Lehiam?

Last edited:
DIGNITY OF LABOUR
Here and there.
Cleaning the class room, the toilet and the entire school as part of student activity!
Can such a thing happen in our country? Immediately cudgels will be taken against the school head, our media will raise a hue and cry, the parents and public will raise their voice against what they term it as abuse and hell will be let lose. But some students may protest and revolt amy go to the extreme of taking the broom and using it straight against the teachers who ordered the cleaning.
When are we going to learn to respect any job that involves labour.

What does the Japanese model of integrating a cleanliness regimen into the curriculum teach us?
Imagine a scenario where a student comes back home to report that the entire class was made to clean the school premises and their duties included washing…
thehindu.com|By Anuradha Shyam

Bihar sets a good model to follow!
Bihar fake topper in POLITICAL SCIENCE PAPER Ruby Rai wrote poetry, film songs in her answer sheet.

She also wrote poet Tulsidas' name a hundred times in her answer sheet

She is indeed a budding politician

Today's parents spend more time with their kids. News
True. They are blessed. We in our days spent most of our time with our parents, grand parents, other relatives and friends than with our own children. Spending time with our children, particularly by the father was viewed with derision. We were considered worthwhile only if we were very strict with our students and very obedient to our parents.
Individual opinions may vary based on experience. But this view is based on my experience which many may share.

Driverless cars hits British streets:
Thank God, the driverless cars hit only the British streets and not the pedestrians in the streets.
"But in India, my feeling is, that for long, the way many cars run seem to be driverless" says a pedestrian from Chennai

Driverless cars hit British streets in landmark trial
The two-seater cars trundled along a pedestrianised zone in Milton Keynes, north of London, in a trial by Transport Systems Catapult

Potty parity

the Obama signs law mandating US male toilets to have baby change facility

The law defines “baby changing facility” as “a table or other device suitable for changing the diaper” of children below three.

The U.S. has moved one step closer to achieving "potty parity" with a new law coming into force that now requires male toilets in public buildings to also have baby changing facilities apart from women’s ones.

The Indian modern potty (பாட்டி) asks

"When will this "potty parity" rule be implemented in our country?"

In our country, there is also another danger. Using the baby change facility, they may change the babies ( many of our males may not be able to identify their own small children amidst many. This is a fact)

Fusion of names causing confusion.
When Hindus convert to christianity, it is very common even today to either suffix or prefix their Hindu name with a christian name. We have Joseph Ganesans, George Srinivasans and so on. But on conversion to Islam, their Hindu name is generally erased and replaced by Moslem name. But we have a Hindu Stalin, you know whom I mean, but the cases presented here are very revealing and interesting where the Hindus have a fusion name.

When Krishna met Jinnah and Marx was denied college admission
: The name Krishna Jinnah is like forced fusion, if we were to use a term from the realm of music. Sixty five years ago, advocate Krishna Pillai, who was also the president…

LONDON: London's Pakistani-origin mayor Sadiq Khan will launch the annual Diwali celebrations here at the Trafalgar Square on Sunday, featuring a mix of music, dance and live performances to mark the festival with people of "all backgrounds".

"London is open to all people and all communities - we don't just tolerate each other's differences, we embrace them. Nowhere is this more apparent than in London's joyous celebration of Diwali in Trafalgar Square," said Khan.

"Here, London's Hindu, Jain and Sikh communities come together to celebrate and to share the festivities with Londoners and visitors of all backgrounds. Diwali's central message of peace and mutual respect is one that we can all learn from. To all those celebrating this month, I wish you a very happy and enjoyable Diwali," he said.

But our rationalist leader will take Kanji At Ramzan, but will criticise Deepavali. That is his rationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back