• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

tummy reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular brisk walking,jogging if you can,heavy breakfast,light meal,avoid oily foods,pranayama,avoid alchoholic beverages,even coke etc take lots of water and keep active mind and body.the rest will be taken care and Thoppai will come no where near you.only thing is you will be disqualified for any Police jobs!

sabesan,

is thoppai not like a balloon? the less you eat, ie the less you fill it up, the more it will shrink.

the shrinking process might cause pangs of hunger. but only for a few weeks?

What Doctor, you too?

1. Drink lots of water
2. Avoid junk food
3. Eat as much as you want to. But, eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Never eat anything,
when you have no appetite.
4. Don't sit at one place continuously for hours together. Move around within the
home and office freely and frequently. (say, every 30 minutes)
5. Slow or brisk walking - need not be as per pre-determined timings/schedules.
6. Cycling and Swimming are the other two best exercises for the body, respiratory
system and the heart.
7. Avoid using lifts and escalators, to the extent possible. Instead, use the stairs.
8. Move with all kinds of people, irrespective of their age, economic status, cultural
background etc.
9. Most importantly, be active in body and mind. Never feel that you are aged.
10. Never go to any trimming clinics or waste money on machines like treadmill,
body massager etc. They are no substitutes for natural exercises to the body,
in a relaxed environment, without even being aware of.

Last edited:
Shri Kunjuppu,
-A Senior Doctor recently advocated heavy breakfast and a light lunch..may be the time gap bet BF and lunch is not much...but bet dinner and BF is more..the thoppai is elastic in my opinion,,immediately after a heavy afternoon lunch we feel heavy and the thoppai protrudes also..a lot of walking will burn out the unwanted calories.

What Doctor, you too?

1. Drink lots of water

pann,

watch out for this one. this was a fad in the west a few years ago.

i had colleagues drinking gallons of water per day ... till the kidneys started failing.

you may have a clean system, but a very tired kidney.

everything in moderation ...

I agree with your well meaning advice. But, I wish to clarify what I said about drinking of water.

1. Basically, India is a country in the tropical region and it cannot be compared with
the west that is in a cool region.

2. Dieticians and even our elders used to say - eat only half-stomach full and drink
water for one fourth of your stomach and leave the rest (one quarter) of your
stomach empty.

3. It is sufficient, if one drinks 12 glasses of water, roughly 2 to 3 litres of water,
every day. Not necessarily more than this quantity.

pann,

watch out for this one. this was a fad in the west a few years ago.

i had colleagues drinking gallons of water per day ... till the kidneys started failing.

you may have a clean system, but a very tired kidney.

everything in moderation ...

thanks to all learned people's input especially Sri Sabesan's hilarious touch at end>>> police jobs. Police are initially recruited who are free from thoppai. Later they pick it up by wrong life style. Hope I am right.
Sri Kunjuppa: You are right. Too much drinking water results in weakar kidney in most cases manifesting in varying problems .
Many of what Sri Pann mentioned are to known to me already. Thanks Sri Pann, any way.
What I am seeking is any typical exercises with demo pictures.

thanks to all learned people's input especially Sri Sabesan's hilarious touch at end>>> police jobs. Police are initially recruited who are free from thoppai. Later they pick it up by wrong life style. Hope I am right.
Sri Kunjuppa: You are right. Too much drinking water results in weakar kidney in most cases manifesting in varying problems .
Many of what Sri Pann mentioned are to known to me already. Thanks Sri Pann, any way.
What I am seeking is any typical exercises with demo pictures.

Recently a Senior physician adviced me that minimum 40 minutes walk in a park any time of the day will help reduce tummy. One has to walk fast leaving both hands to easily swing on front and back during walking. The walking should result in sweating. He was very specific that walking has to be on park only and not in public roads where we are disrupted quite offen.

Food habits offcourse makes lot of difference. Probably any dietrician here can advice on food habits.

All the best

Why at all we should be afraid of Thoppai ?

Our own Vinayagar is having a nice Thoppai- He is lambodara.

See the elephant.With its Thoppai it can do heavy works like a heavy duty machine.Before the advent of lifts and shift machines, Mr Elephant was doing all these jobs.
If thoppai is not there how can we have a leisurely pastime of placing hand on the thoppai and affectionately fondling it ?

coming to the point, as Sri Kunjuppu remarked, it is like a balloon. It gets inflated by digestive gases.Once the stretching has occured by gas filling for a long period, getting back needs effort.Taking the stomach walls (thoppai) deep inside while exhaling as much as possible till full exhalation is done , and normally inhaling--if this can be done as and when possible(without causing muscle pain) can strenghthen the stomach muscles.
Along with that food causing gaseous digestion should be controlled as a daily routine.
As humans walk erect, the digestive gases get trapped and they form the "Keezhvaayu". For animals the exhaust is easy a they stand on all four and it passes off.For man due to the anatomy itself , and due to conscious controlling, this causes ballooning.

After certain age , controlling "vaayu" giving foods,taking medicines preventing constipation will help in preventing thoppai. If already occured it can be reduced by as written above.

3. It is sufficient, if one drinks 12 glasses of water, roughly 2 to 3 litres of water,
every day. Not necessarily more than this quantity.

i agree that there is more dehydration due to sweating and heat, in hot weather climates.

2 - 3 litres may be ok.. i am not sure.

however, one should include all liquids which have water ie butter milk, coffee, rasam etc... not just pure water.

i agree 100% re amount of food to be taken. i used to have a science teacher in school who advocated the same thing - fill only 49% of our stomach with food during one setting. :)

i agree 100% re amount of food to be taken. i used to have a science teacher in school who advocated the same thing - fill only 49% of our stomach with food during one setting. :)

In Mumbai (Matunga) in a famous Udipi restaurant, they have prominently displayed on the wall ( mong many other such useful tips even sloka) the following:

After lunch- rest a while
After dinner- walk a mile

Tips of reduction of abdominal fat.

what i am giving here is a rather drastic measure for those who really want good abs(not actually six pack but near)

1)Diet plays a very important role
Body builders before contest go on a cutting diet.
That is go low on fat.
Food is boiled or steamed with almost very little oil.
Keep intake of high glycemic index carbohydrates down.
keep white polished rice to a minimum.
make curds with low fat milk.
cut down extra calories like sweets and sugar.
eat fruits at regular intervals but avoid refined juices with added sugar.
eat dark skin grapes.

2) Exercise is of utmost importance.
Regular cardivascular exercise like brisk walking is adviced.
Start slow for those who have never embarked on this form of exercise before and later step up intensity as time goes on.
30 minutes daily will be a good start.
to increase the fat burning capacity of our body have intermittent high intensity spikes during cardiovascular exercise.
for example during brisk walking every 5 mins just sprint/ run fast for 30 secs and then go back to normal walking pace.
skipping is a good form of fat burning but its high intensity on the joints.
ever seen boxers skipping before a fighting match.
weight lifting should be undertaken.developing muscle in the body helps imcrease body basal metabolism and aids in making your body a fat burning furnace.

western abdominal toning exercises are important to tone up only.
it does not burn fat.
you can do sit ups,crunches, bicycle manouver abs exercise, pilates etc.

For yogaasanas i dont have to explain as many yogaasanas have abdominal toning properties and some like nauli kriya have fat burning capacity.

hope you find info useful.

Smt Renuka, many thanks for your detailed inputs. Many bellied stand to get benefitted. Your overall knowledge not only in medical field but also in scriptures and in Hinduism pertained at micro level are astounding .Best wishes and God bless you , Smt Renuka.

Dear Dr Sundram,
thank you for your best wishes and blessings.
Its because of Gods blessings and best wishes from others one is able to gain knowledge.

renuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back