• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism: An Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

[video=youtube_share;dBZRTzXARWM]https://youtu.be/dBZRTzXARWM?list=PLkA3jcdbA5kTwKf5gHchrJliKCMTM__7 B[/video]
Hinduism, also known as the Sanatana Dharma, or "Eternal Way," is our planet's original and oldest living religion, with over one billion adherents. Today it has four main denominations: Saivism,Shaktism, Vaishnavism and Smartism, each with hundreds of lineages. They represent a broad range of beliefs, practices and mystic goals, but virtually all concur on certain bedrock concepts.
All Hindus worship one Supreme Reality, though they call it by many names. There is no eternal hell, no damnation, in Hinduism, and no intrinsic evil--no satanic force that opposes the will of God.Hindus believe that the cosmos was created out of God and is permeated by Him--a Supreme Being who both is form and pervades form, who creates, sustains and destroys the universe only to recreate itagain in unending cycles. Each soul is free to find his own way, whether by devotion, austerity, meditation, yoga or selfless service.
Hinduism's three pillars are temple worship, scripture and the guru-disciple tradition. Hinduism strongly declares the validity of the three worlds of existence--physical, astral andspiritual--and the myriad Gods and devas residing within the inner worlds. Festivals, pilgrimage, chanting of holy hymns and home worship are dynamic practices. Family life is strong and precious.Love, nonviolence, good conduct and the law of dharma define the Hindu path.
Hindus are generously tolerant of other faiths. Hinduism explains that the soul reincarnates until all karmas are resolved and God Realization is attained. All souls, without exception, will attainthis highest spiritual summit, though it may take many lives. This is a mystical religion, leading devotees to personally experience its eternal truths within themselves, finally reaching the pinnacleof consciousness where man and God are forever one.
Hindus prefer cremation of the body upon death, rather than burial, believing that the soul lives on and will inhabit a new body on Earth.
While we have many sacred scriptures, all sects ascribe the highest authority to the Vedas and Agamas. Hinduism has tens of thousands of holy temples and shrines, mostly in India,but now located around the world. Its spiritual core is its holy men and women who have dedicated their lives to full-time service, devotion and God Realization, and to proclaiming the eternal truthsof the Sanatana Dharma.
Want to learn more? You can exploreHimalayan Academy's Library of Content About Hinduism.

This is Copy of the article from Hinduism Today.
This is not my opinion.

.......Today it has four main denominations: Saivism,Shaktism, Vaishnavism and Smartism, each with hundreds of lineages. ...............

Smartism appears to be a misfit in the list. Actually smartism itself is a subdivision of Saivism. While writing and enumerating about apples there has suddenly popped up an orange. LOL.

In Saivism you have all castes subscribing to it just as in Shaktism and Vaishnavism too. But smartism is exclusively of brahmins. So it is just a micro sub category of Saivism.

My intention is just to point out an apparent incongruity and not to start a full scale Saiva - Vaishnava war. So before going to hit the keyboard please wait and cool yourself. LOL.

Went through the book repository! I think active Hindu volunteers can use this link for Hindu missionary work! Can be used for re conversion too! Thanks for sharing this!!
[h=3]How to Become a Hindu[/h] [h=4]A Guide for Seekers and Born Hindus[/h] [h=5]Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami[/h] Here are true histories of individuals and families who formally entered Hinduism over the years. The tales illustrate the six steps of ethical conversion which are detailed in the book: 1) joining a Hindu community; 2) creating a point-counterpoint of the beliefs of Hinduism and one?s previous religion; 3) severing from former mentors; 4) legally adopting a Hindu name; 5) having a namakarana samskara, the traditional Hindu name-giving ceremony and 6) publicly announcing the severance and name change. Each story is written from a delightfully different angle and describes one or more of the six steps. The second testimony tells the tale of how a born Hindu strayed from, then rediscovered his religion.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/how-to-become-a-hindu

Mr.Vaagmi seems to have his apples and oranges mixed unless he is a greater authority than Paramachrya of Kanchi mutt. Let me summarise what he has said in his discourse published as "Deivathin Kural". " Birth and belief alone does not make one a saivite or vishnavite. There are certain procedures to be followed for becoming one. For example to become a true vishnavite one has to be initiated with Mahavishnu mantra and branded Sanku and Chakra on either shoulder. To become a sivate one has to be branded with Sulam and Rishba which is not compulsory but certainly should be initiated through Panchtchra mantra. In vedas nothing like these are prescribed. Hence for Smarthas there is no separate samskara. So, Mr. Vaagami for LOL, Smarthism is not a sub-set off Shivaism and don't you bring caste politics in a religious discussion.

Mr.Vaagmi seems to have his apples and oranges mixed unless he is a greater authority than Paramachrya of Kanchi mutt. Let me summarise what he has said in his discourse published as "Deivathin Kural". " Birth and belief alone does not make one a saivite or vishnavite. There are certain procedures to be followed for becoming one. For example to become a true vishnavite one has to be initiated with Mahavishnu mantra and branded Sanku and Chakra on either shoulder. To become a sivate one has to be branded with Sulam and Rishba which is not compulsory but certainly should be initiated through Panchtchra mantra. In vedas nothing like these are prescribed. Hence for Smarthas there is no separate samskara. So, Mr. Vaagami for LOL, Smarthism is not a sub-set off Shivaism and don't you bring caste politics in a religious discussion.

Dear Mr. Raj,

Welcome to the forum.

Just answer this question straight:

Is smartism a religion like Saivism, Jainism,
shaktism etc.,?

If yes, what is the name of the
Godhead of this religion?

Thank you.

Dear Mr. Raj,

Welcome to the forum.

Just answer this question straight:

Is smartism a religion like Saivism, Jainism,
shaktism etc.,?

If yes, what is the name of the
Godhead of this religion?

Thank you.

Can you tell me the name of the Godhead of Jainism?

Can you tell me the name of the Godhead of Jainism?

Jainism does not recognize a creator or almighty God entity and so there is no Godhead for them.

Now please let me know the name of the Godhead for Smartism if you know.

If they too do not believe in a God a la Jains, it is okay we can move to the next point. Let us settle this first.

Can you give some authoritative references for this assertion?

Please give me the names of the shanmatha (six religions) reestablished by Adi Sankara. Also please let me know whether smartism was one among the shanmatha. If it was there, under which category was it?

Or is it that smarthism was nonexistent at Sankara's time?

The word Smartha is derived from the Word Smiriti. Smiritis are founded on Vedic teachings and all of them deal with conduct of individual behaviour and laws and regulations relating to religious and judicial matters. More important of these texts are the sutras written by Gautama, Bodhyana and ApastambaThe word Smartha is derived from the Word Smiriti. As discussed earlier, Smiritis are founded on Vedic teachings and all of them deal with conduct of individual behaviour and laws and regulations relating to religious and judicial matters. More important of these texts are the sutras written by Gautama, Bodhyana and Apastamba.The Samrtha worship consists of Panchayathana Puja in which Siva, Vishnu, Sakthi, Ganapathy (Elephant headed God, the first son of Siva and Parvathi) and Surya ( Sun) are worshipped. Some of the followers of this sect follow Shanmata system in which Skanda or Murugan (The second son of Lord Siva and Parvathi) is added to the above five. The personal God of worship by Smarthas can be any one of the incarnations of the above Six Gods.

Also Shivaism, Shaktism etc are not religions per se as they are major sects of Sanadana Dharma- Loosely translated it means "the natural, ancient and eternal way."

Please give me the names of the shanmatha (six religions) reestablished by Adi Sankara. Also please let me know whether smartism was one among the shanmatha. If it was there, under which category was it?

Or is it that smarthism was nonexistent at Sankara's time?

Smarthas worship 6 Gods-Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesha, Skanda, Surya and Shakthi (Shanmatha)..Sri Sankara is the Shanmatha sthapaka

Smarthas worship 6 Gods-Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesha, Skanda, Surya and Shakthi (Shanmatha)..Sri Sankara is the Shanmatha sthapaka

1. Smarthas are just brahmins. There are no smartha Chettiyars, no smartha yadavas, no smartha naidus, no smartha naickers, smartha thevars etc., During Sankara's time he reestablished the six ancient religions which were in vogue in those days and which were under the threat of jainism and budhdhism. The Godheads of these six religions are worshiped by smartha brahmins as codified by Sri Sankara. So there is no religion called smarthism. Smarthas are brahmins who are given to holding the importance of smritis as sacrosanct though the smritis are derivatives of Shruti.

So to coin a word smarthism and list it as a religion along with the other six religions is not in tune with facts. This is what I said.

This will be last reply to Mr.Vaagmi's latest post as விவாகமும்,விவாதமும் சரி சமமானவர்களுடனே நிகழ வேண்டும்.

Reproduced from Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's Dancing with Siva publication:

“For over 200 years, Western scholars have struggled to understand Hinduism, a faith whose followers seemed (to outsiders) to arbitrarily worship any one of a dozen Gods as the Supreme, a religion vastly diverse in its beliefs, practices and ways of worship. Some Indologists labeled the Hinduism they encountered polytheistic; others even coined new terms, like henotheism, to describe this baffling array of spiritual traditions. Few, however, have realized, and fewer still have written, that India's Sanatana Dharma, or "eternal faith, " known today as Hinduism and comprising nearly a billion followers, is a family of religions with four principal denominations Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism and Smartism. This single perception is essential for understanding Hinduisim and explaining it accurately to others. Contrary to prevailing misconceptions, Hindus all worship a one Supreme Being, though by different names. For Vaishnavites, Lord Vishnu is God. For Saivites, God is Siva. For Shaktas, Goddess Shakti is supreme. For Smartas, liberal Hindus, the choice of Deity is left to the devotee. Each has a multitude of guru lineages, religious leaders, priesthoods, sacred literature, monastic communities, schools, pilgrimage centers and tens of thousands of temples. They possess a wealth of art and architecture, philosophy and scholarship. These four sects hold such divergent beliefs that each is a complete and independent religion. Yet, they share a vast heritage of culture and belief karma, dharma, reincarnation, all-pervasive Divinity, temple worship, sacraments, manifold Deities, the guru-shishya tradition and the Vedas as scriptural authority.

விவாகமும்,விவாதமும் சரி சமமானவர்களுடனே நிகழ வேண்டும்.

Thank you rajrajamani, for reminding me this. I will be remember this for future engagements. LOL.

This will be last reply to Mr.Vaagmi's latest post as விவாகமும்,விவாதமும் சரி சமமானவர்களுடனே நிகழ வேண்டும்.

Reproduced from Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's Dancing with Siva publication:

“For over 200 years, Western scholars have struggled to understand Hinduism, a faith whose followers seemed (to outsiders) to arbitrarily worship any one of a dozen Gods as the Supreme, a religion vastly diverse in its beliefs, practices and ways of worship. Some Indologists labeled the Hinduism they encountered polytheistic; others even coined new terms, like henotheism, to describe this baffling array of spiritual traditions. Few, however, have realized, and fewer still have written, that India's Sanatana Dharma, or "eternal faith, " known today as Hinduism and comprising nearly a billion followers, is a family of religions with four principal denominations Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism and Smartism. This single perception is essential for understanding Hinduisim and explaining it accurately to others. Contrary to prevailing misconceptions, Hindus all worship a one Supreme Being, though by different names. For Vaishnavites, Lord Vishnu is God. For Saivites, God is Siva. For Shaktas, Goddess Shakti is supreme. For Smartas, liberal Hindus, the choice of Deity is left to the devotee. Each has a multitude of guru lineages, religious leaders, priesthoods, sacred literature, monastic communities, schools, pilgrimage centers and tens of thousands of temples. They possess a wealth of art and architecture, philosophy and scholarship. These four sects hold such divergent beliefs that each is a complete and independent religion. Yet, they share a vast heritage of culture and belief karma, dharma, reincarnation, all-pervasive Divinity, temple worship, sacraments, manifold Deities, the guru-shishya tradition and the Vedas as scriptural authority.

Who is this another Subramuniya Swami?? Not only Smarthas, anyone can worship anything in HInduism..of not worship if you do not want to..

Who is this another Subramuniya Swami?? Not only Smarthas, anyone can worship anything in HInduism..of not worship if you do not want to..
This doesn't deserve any reply

Majority of Hindus would agree with you.
But have you heard of Vaishnavites? Particularly the Southern Variety.

I have few friends from Madurai, strict Iyyangars. They live 5 minutes from the temple and have not been to Meenakshi Temple as it is not a Vaishnav Temple.

Even in USA, The regular patrons of Ranganatha Temple, in NY refused to have Ganesh in the Temple.
There are many more instances like this. I am sure there are Vaisnavites in this forum who will vouch for this practice.

Last edited:

I have few friends from Madurai, strict Iyyangars. They live 5 minutes from the temple and have not been to Meenakshi Temple as it is not a Vaishnav Temple.

Even in USA, The regular patrons of Ranganatha Temple, in NY refused to have Ganesh in the Temple.
There are many more instances like this. I am sure there are Vaisnavites in this forum who will vouch for this practice.

Yes, even in my local temple, they go aroud only Perumal Sannithi..I didnt want to look mean hence went around all sannithis :).

I v heard even Sri Velukudi Krishnan doesnt come to saivite temples, not sure how authentic it is.

I heard andexperenced inUSA , most Indians visit only "Their" temples and gods. In that case it huld be more of a language center than a temple.

Yes, even in my local temple, they go aroud only Perumal Sannithi..I didnt want to look mean hence went around all sannithis :).

I v heard even Sri Velukudi Krishnan doesnt come to saivite temples, not sure how authentic it is.

I heard andexperenced inUSA , most Indians visit only "Their" temples and gods. In that case it huld be more of a language center than a temple.

Did you know that there are Atheist, in Hinduism for example Charvakas.
So there are very many more diversity in Hinduism.

Dear Prasad ji,

My husband is a Ganesh Bhakta....after marriage when we used to go to temple sometimes...he would only pray at the Ganesh shrine and totally "ignore" all other shrines of other Devatas.

I was kind of shocked and asked him why he did this?

He said cos he wanted to focus only on one form..but after hanging around being married to me for many years he now prays at every shrine equally at any temple when he goes.

Did you know that there are Atheist, in Hinduism for example Charvakas.
So there are very many more diversity in Hinduism.

Hinduism has its own diversity that also includes Charvakas and it has its own open systems ( like smarthas ) and closed systems ( like Vaishnavas and Veera Saivities ) and has its own omnivore version ( people moving from Charvaka to normal bhakta to hardcore bahkats to getting influenced by Christinaity and then Islam and then Buddhism and back to charvaka or Hindusim etc etc and its various permutations and combinations ) and let us respect this diversity and in the name of Uniformity let us not force all people to come under a single God and single method of worship .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back