• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Fonts for newbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raji Ram

It is an oft asked Q - How to type Tamil fonts in our dear forum.

Sorry, I missed this post from R S!

Hello Veteran RR,
Can you explain to this newbie to TB, how to insert tamil script like you and many others have done in replying to these forums? Do I have to type it separately in some other software and then cut and paste it here? I would much prefer to do it directly here. Kindly explain.
I find G mail compose page the easiest of the lot!

I have chosen Tamil phonetic option in G mail and use it to type Tamil fonts; then C n P.

a, aa / A, i, I / ii /ee, u, U/oo, e, E, ai, o, O, au gives the uyir ezhuththukkaL and H for

l for ல், L for ள், z for ழ், r for ர், R for ற், n for ன், N for ண்.

But unless we are strong in Tamil, better to use 'Tanglish'!! :cool:

e.g.
You switch to that particular keyboard and type as follows
"thaangaL anuppiya link mikavum upyogamaaka irunthathu"
And you get
"தாங்கள் அனுப்பிய லின்க் மிகவும் உபயொகமாக இருந்தது”

The only problem is to get the correct "ன" like in the last word above.
There is no cut and paste here. Just remeber to switch keyboards, that’s all

Dear R S,

You have got the last word right and there is no need for "ன" in it.

The only mistake is 'உபயொகமாக' which should have been (upayOgamAga) 'உபயோகமாக'.

I think you can use the software you have but be careful about the spelling! :)

P.S: I did not want to spoil the flow of MahAperiyavA's teachings and hence this thread.

I use Tamil.thehindu.Com ...Take a news item & you can respond in "post comment"..Type Tamil in English font and use Control G ...Your script changes to Tamil & then do C n P

Last edited:
hi

i use for tamil font.....

[h=1]ஆன்லைனில் Google உள்ளீட்டு கருவியை முயற்சிக்கவும்[/h] இணையத்தில் எங்கிருந்தாலும் நீங்கள் தேர்வுசெய்யும் மொழியில் தட்டச்சு செய்வதை Google உள்ளீட்டு கருவி எளிதாக்குகிறது. மேலும் அறிக
இதை முயற்சிக்க, கீழே உங்கள் மொழி மற்றும் உள்ளீட்டு கருவியைத் தேர்வுசெய்து, தட்டச்சு செய்யத் தொடங்கவும்.

Hi raysundar,

If you want to directly key in tamil fonts without involving c and p you have to get the software installed. For getting the software please click on this link www.azhagi.com . Then be guided by the instructions there to download the sw to your device.

Once you have installed azhagi in your computer the rest of the task is easy.

Whichever page you are in you have to just click on the azhagi ikon in your task bar and then click alt and 3 on your key board. This combination of keys act as the toggle for switching between Tamil and English alternatively any number of times. Then if you have chosen the phonetic key board option in the software you have to just key in the tamil words phonetically with English alphabets. What appears on screen will be the equivalent tamil letters. It is as simple as that. When you want to switch back to English just click alt and 3. The advantages of this sw are:

1. you can download a simpler version to your thumb drive and thus it becomes portable between computers.

2. The font is in unicode format and hence is portable freely across internet and there is no need to send the sw across along with your communication for the receiver to decode it at his end.

3. A version of this azhagi is available for cell phone devices too though I have not tried that.

4. as you use the sw you will get familiar with how to get, say, a ந instead of ன or ண though the sw intuitively suggests the appropriate letter depending on the context.

5. If you are a language enthusiast , with the same sw you can toggle between other indic languages too.

Before closing, a word about the man who authored this sw. His name is Viswanathan, a physically challenged young man who studied in an Engineering College in kerala. He has made this available free of cost to any one interested. A great service indeed.

Try it and enjoy. all the best.

Last edited:
'Azhagi' is not at all friendly with me! :pout:

My vote is for Gmail compose page, which enables me to correct the post before C n P -ing. :cool:

Also, typing is easy because for andha, indha, irundhadhu etc it chooses the correct '
ந்'

and for petrAn, katrAn, irukkindrAn etc it chooses the correct 'ற்றா' and 'ன்றா'. :thumb:

I also go with Google.
hi

ப்ரஹ்மானால் பாஷைக்கு இது தான் சரியான இடம்.......பேஷ் பேஷ்.....ரொம்ப நன்னா சொன்னீங்க

நீங்க....நானும் இதை தான் விரும்புகிறேன்.....

I always wonder why we write 'gnaanam' and not 'njaanam' ( 'njyaanam' is the best?) which is nearer to ஞானம்!

Google agrees with me! :thumb:

To get the word '
ஞானம்' we should type 'njaanam' or 'njAnam'. :)

தமிழ் ஒரு சிறந்த மொழியாகும்.

சரியான பயிற்சி ல்லையெனில்

'முயற்சி' 'முயர்ச்சீ' ஆகிவிடும்!! :sad:

This is a screen shot to show the virtual Key Boad on the screen - My computer is a Smart PC android type No windows and No Big டப்பா The smart PC is smaller than my TATA Sky set top box How to type Amma click on அ then ம - immediatly on cliking any மெய் எழுத்து the next box - after ன on the screen will display ம் Corresponding உயிர் மெய் automatically - click on this - ம becomes ம் Next box will show ...மா - in sequence you get the corresponding உயிர்மெய் எழுத்து -Sanskrit letters like ஜஷ etc will be displayed when you click on the box with standing arrow! - You can change to english by cliking on மாெழி மாற்று I revo Smart PVC is around 8000 and got it from Amazon This works like a smart phone but is not mobile in that you cannot carry with you like a laptop I am unable to generate the ஆயுத எழுத்து

Click on the attachment to enlarge

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-26-09-24-17.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-26-09-24-17.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Ayudha ezhuththu is so :cool: in G mail - 'H' gives it; we can use in Math too! :thumb:

Hence I :love: Google!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back