• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rainbow mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I initially thought that these were artificial created by color powders till I read the article! Amazing nature! So colorful!

Cp-WF0MXgAAVpds.jpg

10 August 2016
[h=1]Rainbow cake mountains show stunning slices of colour[/h]
By Emily Benson

YES, this is a real place. Yes, it’s on this planet. The vibrant colours of the mountains dotting China’s Zhangye Danxia Landform Geological Park in Gansu Province lend the peaks their nickname: the rainbow mountains. The strata were originally laid down horizontally, one on top of another, like the layers of a cake.
The mountains’ startling hues came from water and oxygen interacting with iron and other elements in the sediment, along with tiny amounts of other minerals left behind by groundwater creeping through the deposits.
Over millions of years, the layers were buried and solidified into rock. Their distinctive slant was caused by the same tectonic forces responsible for the formation of the Himalayas: as the Indian plate crashed into the Eurasian plate, beginning about 40 or 50 million years ago, the overlying land tilted and crumpled into mountains.
After the layers were elevated, erosive forces such as water and wind carved the craggy contours we see today.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...id=SOC|NSNS|2016-Echobox#link_time=1471343210

Most Exotic ? never thought / Nature could be so enchanting. I am totally perplexed & really WONDER " Nature can never be Conquered ?
A. Srinivasan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back