• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

(Upakarma) Avani Avittam In English

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.vadhyar.com/Upakarma Mantram.php

I found the above link for the benefit of our younger generation who are eager to return to their roots and not familiar with all the rituals.
There is no right or wrong method.
Any method that satisfies your Spiritual self is OK.
So please just do it that's all that matters.
We need to pass this on to the next generation the best way we can.
God Bless all TB's and B's and non-B's in general.
Original Vedic Scriptures prescribe Yanjnopaveetham for all irrespective of caste creed or een religion.
Its for the Spiritual upliftment.

http://www.vadhyar.com/Upakarma Mantram.php

I found the above link for the benefit of our younger generation who are eager to return to their roots and not familiar with all the rituals.
There is no right or wrong method.
Any method that satisfies your Spiritual self is OK.
So please just do it that's all that matters.
We need to pass this on to the next generation the best way we can.
God Bless all TB's and B's and non-B's in general.
Original Vedic Scriptures prescribe Yanjnopaveetham for all irrespective of caste creed or een religion.
Its for the Spiritual upliftment.

I agree with your views of passing it on to Younger generations . With Austrian & American grand sons , as you rightly pointed out that this Yanjnopaveetham is not restricted to us only but to all , I will make them to understand once they are grown up .
Srinivasan

Hi, thanks for sharing upakarma procedure. Since i stay in singapore, when we are doing sankalpa, how do we mention the location name. if we are in india we mention as "JAMBUDWEEPE BHARATHA VARSHE BHARATHE KANDE". For singapore location , please share the sankalpa manthram

thanks

Hello everyone;
I am one of 5 brothers and 2 sisters and have been here since 1969. I am a retired orthopaedic surgeon and am married to a punjabi lady. We have 2 sons and a daughter all grown up and settled. My oldest has 2 girls 13 and 11. I do not know how to read tamil or malayalam and would request you to keep this in mind. I am intrested in understanding as well as performing some our traditional rites and functions and could use a lot of help in this regard.I will try to respond to all mails as promptly as possible. I belong to chittur cochin and my name is ananthakrishnan

Sri Vallabha das (Dubai) or Shri Shiv kumar

Hare Krishna
Just joined the forum.
Today is a day that we shd restate our vows and resolve to try to be a good brahmana henceforth atleast, doing our sandhya vandhanam regularly, giving up all the unwanted habits in our lives and also take on to studying the scriptures, mainly Bagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam.

First is to value the form as a human being :
This human form of life is rarely achieved and once achieved, we should be very careful in using this form properly in service of the Lord and His devotees.
further in this form of a human, we need the mercy of guru-krishna whcih is quoted well in Sri Caitanya Caritamrta - refering to the great fortune by which we may have a chance to associate with devotees and deliver ourself :
Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta, Madhya-līlā, Chapter 19: Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu Instructs Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī
TEXT 151

brahmāṇḍa bhramite kona bhāgyavān jīvaguru-kṛṣṇa-prasāde pāya bhakti-latā-bīja

TRANSLATION
“According to their karma, all living entities are wandering throughout the entire universe. Some of them are being elevated to the upper planetary systems, and some are going down into the lower planetary systems. Out of many millions of wandering living entities, one who is very fortunate gets an opportunity to associate with a bona fide spiritual master by the grace of Kṛṣṇa. By the mercy of both Kṛṣṇa and the spiritual master, such a person receives the seed of the creeper of devotional service.

PURPORT
When we speak of brahmāṇḍa, we refer to the whole universe, or to the cluster of many millions of universes. In all the universes there are innumerable planets, and there are innumerable living entities upon those planets—in the air, on land and in the water. There are millions and trillions of living entities everywhere, and they are engaged by māyā in suffering and enjoying the results of their fruitive activity, life after life. This is the position of the materially conditioned living entities. Out of many of these living entities, one who is actually fortunate (bhāgyavān) comes in contact with a bona fide spiritual master by Kṛṣṇa’s mercy.
Kṛṣṇa is situated in everyone’s heart, and if one desires something, Kṛṣṇa fulfills one’s desire. If the living entity by chance or fortune comes in contact with the Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement and wishes to associate with that movement, Kṛṣṇa, who is situated in everyone’s heart, gives him the chance to meet a bona fide spiritual master. This is called guru-kṛṣṇa-prasāda. Kṛṣṇa is prepared to bestow His mercy upon all living entities, and as soon as a living entity desires the Lord’s mercy, the Lord immediately gives him an opportunity to meet a bona fide spiritual master. Such a fortunate person is fortified by both Kṛṣṇa and the spiritual master. He is helped from within by Kṛṣṇa and from without by the spiritual master. Both are prepared to help the sincere living being become free from material bondage.
How one can become this fortunate can be seen in the life of Śrīla Nārada Muni. In his previous life he was born of a maidservant. Although he was not born into a prestigious position, his mother was fortunately engaged in rendering service to some Vaiṣṇavas. When these Vaiṣṇavas were resting during the Cāturmāsya period, the boy Nārada took the opportunity to engage in their service. Taking compassion upon the boy, the Vaiṣṇavas offered him the remnants of their food. By serving these Vaiṣṇavas and obeying their orders, the boy became the object of their sympathy, and by the Vaiṣṇavas’ unknown mercy, he gradually became a pure devotee. In the next life he was Nārada Muni, the most exalted of Vaiṣṇavas and the most important guru and ācārya of Vaiṣṇavas.
Following in the footsteps of Nārada Muni, this Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement is rendering service to humanity by giving everyone a chance to come in contact with Kṛṣṇa. If one is fortunate, he becomes intimately related with this movement. Then, by the grace of Kṛṣṇa, one’s life becomes successful. Everyone has dormant kṛṣṇa-bhakti—love for Kṛṣṇa—and in the association of good devotees, that love is revealed. As stated in the Caitanya-caritāmṛta (CC Madhya 22.107):
nitya-siddha-kṛṣṇa-prema ‘sādhya’ kabhu nayaśravaṇādi-śuddha-citte karaye udayaDormant devotional service to Kṛṣṇa is within everyone. Simply by associating with devotees, hearing their good instructions and chanting the Hare Kṛṣṇa mantra, dormant love for Kṛṣṇa is awakened. In this way one acquires the seed of devotional service. Guru-kṛṣṇa-prasāde pāya bhakti-latā-bīja (CC Madhya 19.151).

WE have to understand the meaning of a Brahmana and a Brahma Bandhu and rise above the Brahma Bandhu platform that many would be to a Brahmana platform atleast, which is almost the first step in self realisation.

I wanted to quote from Srimad Bhagavatam :Brahma-bandhu means a person who is born of a brāhmaṇa father but whose activities are not up to the standard of the brāhmaṇas. Such a person is not a brāhmaṇa but a brahma-bandhu. Dakṣa proved himself to be a brahma-bandhu. He was born of a great brāhmaṇa father, Lord Brahmā, but his treatment of Lord Śiva was not exactly brahminical; therefore he admitted that he was not a perfect brāhmaṇa.
SB 4.7.13, Translation and Purport: King Dakṣa said: My dear Lord Śiva, I committed a great offense against you, but you are so kind that instead of withdrawing your mercy, you have done me a great favor by punishing me. You and Lord Viṣṇu never neglect even useless, unqualified brāhmaṇas. Why, then, should you neglect me, who am engaged in performing sacrifices?

Although Dakṣa felt defeated, he knew that his punishment was simply the great mercy of Lord Śiva. He remembered that Lord Śiva and Lord Viṣṇu are never neglectful of the brāhmaṇas, even though the brāhmaṇas are sometimes unqualified. According to Vedic civilization, a descendant of a brāhmaṇa family should never be heavily punished. This was exemplified in Arjuna's treatment of Aśvatthāmā. Aśvatthāmā was the son of a great brāhmaṇa, Droṇācārya, and in spite of his having committed the great offense of killing all the sleeping sons of the Pāṇḍavas, for which he was condemned even by Lord Kṛṣṇa, Arjuna excused him by not killing him because he happened to be the son of a brāhmaṇa. The word brahma-bandhuṣu used here is significant. Brahma-bandhu means a person who is born of a brāhmaṇa father but whose activities are not up to the standard of the brāhmaṇas. Such a person is not a brāhmaṇa but a brahma-bandhu. Dakṣa proved himself to be a brahma-bandhu. He was born of a great brāhmaṇa father, Lord Brahmā, but his treatment of Lord Śiva was not exactly brahminical; therefore he admitted that he was not a perfect brāhmaṇa. Lord Śiva and Lord Viṣṇu, however, are affectionate even to an imperfect brāhmaṇa. Lord Śiva punished Dakṣa not as one does his enemy; rather, he punished Dakṣa just to bring him to his senses, so that he would know that he had done wrong. Dakṣa could understand this, and he acknowledged the great mercy of Lord Kṛṣṇa and Lord Śiva towards the fallen brāhmaṇas, including even himself. Although he was fallen, his vow was to execute the sacrifice, as is the duty of brāhmaṇas, and thus he began his prayers to Lord Śiva.

Hope this post was useful on this great day of Avaniavattam or Upakarma
sorry if it was long.

Thank you very much for sharing this.

One clarification:
The pitru tharpanam that is done on Avani Avittam day can be done by all karthas and not necessarily those whose father is not alive. This is because this pitru tharpanam is to all the pitrus and not only to the three ancestors in the generation (vasu, rudra and aditya).

Is this a right thought and understanding?

I hope Sri Vaishnavas will recognize that this for Iyers only. Appropriate changes should be made for Iyengars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back