• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The cities with the best work-life balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 32 hours of working in a week in these places & people are happy??..If I do not work for 40 hours, I feel something amiss...In a way we are workaholic!

The cities with the best work-life balance? You might be surprised by some of them

This article is published in collaboration with Business Insider.

large_shQr0WbuoCuhCKPYaUGVo5VsFAmthZyG9rumLjzb6yk.jpg
This ranking takes into account how many hours per week and per year people work as well as how many holiday days they take.
Image: REUTERS/Michael Kooren

Written by
Will Martin Markets Reporter, Business Insider UK

Published
Monday 30 May 2016

Online business-to-business marketplace Expert Market has put together a ranking of the global cities where people have the best balance between their work and leisure time — the so-called "work-life balance."

Using data from Swiss banking group UBS, the site compiled information on the biggest, most important cities globally, taking into account how many hours per week and per year people work as well as how many days holiday they take, before creating the ranking.

All 13 cities are in Europe, although 12 different countries are represented. France is the only nation where two cities feature, and no British cities make the cut.

Workers in each city work fewer than 33.5 hours per week, with people in the top ranking city clocking just 30.8 a week.

Check out the full list below.

13. Madrid, Spain — 33.28 hours per week. Spanish workers have a reputation for taking a mid-afternoon siesta to avoid the worst of the sun, and that siesta cuts down their hours substantially.

12. Amsterdam, Netherlands — 33.20 hours. Famous for being one of Europe's most laid back cities, it seems that Amsterdam's reputation is justified. People in the city work an average 1,726 hours per year, 165 fewer than the global average.

11. Munich, Germany — 33.1 hours. Workers in the Bavarian city, famous for its top tier football and Oktoberfest celebrations, take an average of 29 days holiday every year, cutting down their overall hours to the lowest level of any city in Germany.

10. Brussels, Belgium — 33.02 hours. Citizens of Brussels take the fewest days of holiday of any city on this list — just 18 per year. That doesn't stop them having one of the best work-life balances on earth, working only 1,717 hours annually.

9. Vilnius, Lithuania — 33 hours. Working just 33 hours per week, less than seven per day in a five-day week, people in Lithuania's capital can strike a pretty good balance between their work and leisure time.

8. Luxembourg, Luxembourg — 32.75 hours. Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in Europe, and as a result, workers seem to be pretty relaxed about how much work they do, spending just 1,703 hours a year in the office, and taking 31 days holiday.

7. Copenhagen, Denmark — 32.64 hours. Copenhagen was recently voted as the city with the 9th best quality of life anywhere on earth. Some of that success is probably down to the city's relaxed attitude to working. The average citizen works 11.4% fewer hours than the global average.

6. Milan, Italy — 32.52 hours. Despite being in the country's financial hub, Milanese workers are the most relaxed in all of Italy when it comes to work, spending nearly 12% fewer hours in the office compared to the global average.

5. Vienna, Austria — 32.27 hours. Workers in the Austrian capital spend an average of just 1,678 hours each year at the office, and take 27 days holiday per annum.

4. Helsinki, Finland — 31.91 hours. Clocking less than 32 hours a week, or just under six and a half hours a day in a five-day working week, employees in Finland's capital work for more than 14% fewer than the average global worker.

3. Moscow, Russia — 31.66 hours. Not only do workers in Russia's capital work just 1,646 hours per year, they also take nearly 31 days of holiday time each year.

2. Lyon, France — 31.36 hours. Despite being the city with the second best work-life balance in the world, Lyon isn't even top of the list in France. Nonetheless, workers get a pretty sweet deal, working just 1,630 hours a year, and taking an average of 28.5 days holiday.

1. Paris, France — 30.84 hours. Parisians are the easiest going people of any major city, working just under 31 hours per week, or 1,603.8 hours every year. That's almost 18% fewer hours than the global average.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

All 13 cities are in Europe, although 12 different countries are represented. France is the only nation where two cities feature, and no British cities make the cut.

In 2001 itself I remember a relative of mine who started an outsourcing firm in Chennai ( outsourcing work from Europe ) and I asked why are they outsourcing and why cant they do the work at their own place .Is it just cost or some other thing and he gave an interesting reply .He told it is not just cost but the attitude of people there and they nobody likes to work late etc and they will leave their offices in the evening to either have a drink , watch football etc but never like to work after evening come what may and they beleive that there is no point in just slogging the whole day .But ifor just 10,000 - 15,000 Rs pm ( the rates at that time for his firm ) they can get work done from India round the clock and people are willing to work in morning shift as well as night shift .

BTW Indian Cities will be the worst when it comes to work life balance espeically if you look at the quality of the City's Horrible Infrastructure with its horrible traffic .

Last edited:
I think domestic workers in tamil nadu have the best work life balance.

They have maximum holidays [more than once a week]

They decide every day whether the want to work that day and for how much time.

They have flexi reporting time at places they work.

they get freebies from govt for every requirement of theirs.

Their menfolk retire with a quarter everyday.

The females have a wonderful free living style and open relationships with no hypocrisy .

Why think of foreign countries?

Our state and country has everything to offer?

hi

most of the cities mentioned are from SCANDANAVIAN COUNTRIES...weather is also reason....most of the european

cities are very cold...they need more drinks...pubs are very common to make body warm....generally tropical

country ppls are working longer/hard...just my observation...cost effective is also the reason...

There are a few multinational companies in Bangalore allowing their Scientists and Researchers to work 40 hours per week.

India is a shit place to work for highly educated top 10%.

They get underpaid and combine the worst of MNC and indian work cultures.

They would be better off even in scandinavian countries [though it might be freexzing cold for months in a year].

Most countries like netherlands ,denmark have good social security with 32-35 workhours with weekends off.

of course now with jehadi threats and refugee crisis, europe is no longer a preferred destination for work for indians.

India is a shit place to work for highly educated top 10%.

They get underpaid and combine the worst of MNC and indian work cultures.

They would be better off even in scandinavian countries [though it might be freexzing cold for months in a year].

Most countries like netherlands ,denmark have good social security with 32-35 workhours with weekends off.

of course now with jehadi threats and refugee crisis, europe is no longer a preferred destination for work for indians.

hi

still better than UK/USA/AUSTRALIA....BUT CANADA IS OK.....scandanavian countries are good...my cousin is in FINLAND NOW..

he is better off than france/greece and other eastern european countires...but freezing cold is horrible..

Sweden is another good place...But we have to careful while rearing children..You cannot beat the child....It may land you in jail

I was in norway -oslo in peak winter dec 10-23 on work .

loved it.

Wonderful time at work place with daily get together for eats [christmas treats ,wine].

white ice all over the place with sparse population.

Only when the ice melts and winds start blowing it can be messy.

Cabbie there from the airport to hotel took the wrong turning and returned the excess fare due to his fault shown on meter.

I could not believe it.

The pakistani receptionist at hotel took care of me very nicely.

The skijump that is worth seeing.

Locals there value their privacy and do not interact much.

They have wonderful social benefits as they get royalties for north sea oil .

Citizenship is harshly restricted.

Only locals can sponsor .

There are categories of citizenship

Sweden is another good place...But we have to careful while rearing children..You cannot beat the child....It may land you in jail

hi

this is very common in west countries....even in USA...you cannot beat wife....its DOMESTIC VIOLENCE....you

cannot beat the children ...ITS CHILD ABUSE...BOTH LAND UP IN JAIL...ONLY IN INDIA..ITS POSSIBLE...OR ANY THIRD

WORLD COUNTRIES....

Last edited:
I was in norway -oslo in peak winter dec 10-23 on work .

loved it.

Wonderful time at work place with daily get together for eats [christmas treats ,wine].

white ice all over the place with sparse population.

Only when the ice melts and winds start blowing it can be messy.

Cabbie there from the airport to hotel took the wrong turning and returned the excess fare due to his fault shown on meter.

I could not believe it.

The pakistani receptionist at hotel took care of me very nicely.

The skijump that is worth seeing.

Locals there value their privacy and do not interact much.

They have wonderful social benefits as they get royalties for north sea oil .

Citizenship is harshly restricted.

Only locals can sponsor .

There are categories of citizenship

I missed out Norway in my last year trip of Europe. Had planned Oslo and Bergen.

Btw, how did you manage vegetarian food? Any recommendations?

I missed out Norway in my last year trip of Europe. Had planned Oslo and Bergen.

Btw, how did you manage vegetarian food? Any recommendations?
hi

just salad....may be veg sandwich/cheese pizza....in some cities nice veg restaurants too....there is a europe tour operator

called STAR...they provide jain/gujarati pure veg foods during whole europe trip....

I tried to cook myself using the electric point in bathroom.

That Set off the hotel alarm.

I had the receptionist banging my door and shouting at me.

Did not get thrown out though.

The office I visited took care of me with bread omelette and lots of wine and cake.

It was pre christmas and their eateries were full of goodies for eating.

Of course things might may changed now this was in late eighties.

hi

this is very common in west countries....even in USA...you cannot beat wife....its DOMESTIC VIOLENCE....you

cannot beat the children ...ITS CHILD ABUSE...BOTH LAND UP IN JAIL...ONLY IN INDIA..ITS POSSIBLE...OR ANY THIRD

WORLD COUNTRIES....

why would one want to beat them at all?! If any one is so adamant to beat his wife, I think Pakistan is the best option where some law is passed recently allowing husbands to "mildly beat his wife". LOL

Mr.Krish 44, I am happy to read your attempt to cook food , in an european country , but got thwarted by Fire Alarm ? In U.S , all know that frying any tasty , Indian Food, one has to get it done .,cautiously, & Tamil brahmin ladies ., get it done ingeniously ( I saw my daughter in Cape canaveral, Florida/now that I am here on 6 month visit ).
I find you that that you have lots of experience , since you had good profession, lived in U.S & major cities in India , ( you also wrote about a Tamilian priest in Orlaldo / when i mentioned about my familiarity of Florida )
I also recognize you as an All-rounder , , having useful experiences, & am eager to have good /personal relation, so that if we meet in Madras it will help me to get lot of exchange of views.
If you don;t mind you may tell ,as to get it done ?

Sincerely,
Rishikesan ( A. Srinivasan )

I tried to cook myself using the electric point in bathroom.

That Set off the hotel alarm.

I had the receptionist banging my door and shouting at me.

Did not get thrown out though.

The office I visited took care of me with bread omelette and lots of wine and cake.

It was pre christmas and their eateries were full of goodies for eating.

Of course things might may changed now this was in late eighties.
hi

its nice combination in winter christmas time....hot bread omlette with wine...for the alarm....many indian houses in USA..

its very common...even small KADUGU THALIPPU...it happens..so i removed smoke alarm from kitchen and many are

covered with inactive...wht to do?..its daily business in kitchen...instead of PAAL PONGARATHU....WE HAVE TEA PONGARATHU

DAILY BASIS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back