• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Significance of "Vibuthi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the average Tamil brahmin, being "pazhum netthi" (bare forehead) is something sacrosanct. From childhood,one is taught to wear either "Vibuthi" (Smarthas),or "Thiruman"(Iyengars) or Gopi Chandanam.

This custom is also widely prevalent in northern India,where you find either "chandan" or "tilak".

Even in the Eastern part, Oriyites and Biharis wear "chandan". Only in Bengal, there is no pronounced wearing of either vibuthi or chandan. Being Sakti upasaks they have their vermillion.

That ,all of us are ultimately going to be reduced to a handful of ashes, and that life is an illusion, is best reminded by this gesture of wearing vibuthi.

We must,as a community, protest any degradation,of this gesture in ads,visuals or films.

Absolutely right Sri Sundaresan.Suresh. In fact on should take pride in wearing such things. Those days even elite persons never shied away from wearing and going in public. I can quote a few whom I know. But these days many are reluctant to show these signs and may be quite possible the environment is not quite conducive also making them comfortable with in the places of work or whatever. But we should not allow any tendency who aim to bring defame to using such sportings.

I agree with Suresh. Once all of us start sporting it on our forehead it not only acts as raksha but also send a strong message to the forces who act against us.

திருஆலவாய் - திருநீற்றுப்பதிகம்
இசை கேட்க:-

பண் - காந்தாரம்

திருச்சிற்றம்பலம் 709 மந்திர மாவது நீறு வானவர் மேலது நீறு
சுந்தர மாவது நீறு துதிக்கப் படுவது நீறு
தந்திர மாவது நீறு சமயத்தி லுள்ளது நீறு
செந்துவர் வாயுமை பங்கன் திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
01710 வேதத்தி லுள்ளது நீறு வெந்துயர் தீர்ப்பது நீறு
போதந் தருவது நீறு புன்மை தவிர்ப்பது நீறு
ஓதத் தகுவது நீறு வுண்மையி லுள்ளது நீறு
சீதப் புனல்வயல் சூழ்ந்த திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
02711 முத்தி தருவது நீறு முனிவ ரணிவது நீறு
சத்திய மாவது நீறு தக்கோர் புகழ்வது நீறு
பத்தி தருவது நீறு பரவ இனியது நீறு
சித்தி தருவது நீறு திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
03712 காண இனியது நீறு கவினைத் தருவது நீறு
பேணி அணிபவர்க் கெல்லாம் பெருமை கொடுப்பது நீறு
மாணந் தகைவது நீறு மதியைத் தருவது நீறு
சேணந் தருவது நீறு திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
04713 பூச இனியது நீறு புண்ணிய மாவது நீறு
பேச இனியது நீறு பெருந்தவத் தோர்களுக் கெல்லாம்
ஆசை கெடுப்பது நீறு அந்தம தாவது நீறு
தேசம் புகழ்வது நீறு திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
05714 அருத்தம தாவது நீறு அவல மறுப்பது நீறு
வருத்தந் தணிப்பது நீறு வானம் அளிப்பது நீறு
பொருத்தம தாவது நீறு புண்ணியர் பூசும்வெண் ணீறு
திருத்தகு மாளிகை சூழ்ந்த திருஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
06715 எயிலது அட்டது நீறு இருமைக்கும் உள்ளது நீறு
பயிலப் படுவது நீறு பாக்கிய மாவது நீறு
துயிலைத் தடுப்பது நீறு சுத்தம தாவது நீறு
அயிலைப் பொலிதரு சூலத் தால வாயான் திருநீறே.
07716 இராவணன் மேலது நீறு எண்ணத் தகுவது நீறு
பராவண மாவது நீறு பாவ மறுப்பது நீறு
தராவண மாவது நீறு தத்துவ மாவது நீறு
அராவணங் குந்திரு மேனி ஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
08717 மாலொ டயனறி யாத வண்ணமு முள்ளது நீறு
மேலுறை தேவர்கள் தங்கள் மெய்யது வெண்பொடி நீறு
ஏல உடம்பிடர் தீர்க்கும் இன்பந் தருவது நீறு
ஆலம துண்ட மிடற்றெம் மால வாயான் திருநீறே.
09718 குண்டிகைக் கையர்க ளோடு சாக்கியர் கூட்டமுங் கூட
கண்டிகைப் பிப்பது நீறு கருத இனியது நீறு
எண்டிசைப் பட்ட பொருளார் ஏத்துந் தகையது நீறு
அண்டத் தவர்பணிந் தேத்தும் ஆல வாயான் திருநீறே.
10719 ஆற்றல் அடல்விடை யேறும் ஆலவா யான்திரு நீற்றைப்
போற்றிப் புகலி நிலாவும் பூசுரன் ஞானசம் பந்தன்
தேற்றித் தென்ன னுடலுற்ற தீப்பிணி யாயின தீரச்
சாற்றிய பாடல்கள் பத்தும் வல்லவர் நல்லவர் தாமே.
I try my level best to provide a translatory and brief explanatory verses for this padhigam.

1. Madiram avadu neeru- The Vibudhi itself is a mantra. The vibudhi (that too just taken from the divine kitchen of Shri somasundara swami temple) itself has the capability to cure the colisis (Soolai noi) of Pandya king. So, Neeru itself is a mantra. VANAVAR MELADU NEERU- Vanavar (I dont want to take here the meaning as devas). Vanavar means who are all above earth. I mean Brahma, vishnu and even sivan is wearing this vibuthi. SUNDARAMAVADU NEERU- The forehead will be nice only when you apply vibudhi over that. (Am not joking. Seriously, see the difference in your face w and w/o that) (Whenever I go out without wearing aanything on my forehead my mom will scold me "Pora vazhila Chaaniya kundi ittuko". Somehow vibudhi is also a dung material... But it provides brightness to the face. THUDIKAPADUVADU NEERU- Everyone are praising the fames of this vibudhi may it be the dhaityas, asuras, devas, or even gods.
Once dhurvasa visited hell and when seeing a kunda a dust of his vibuthi fell down and provided moksha to all athmas suffering there. Yama, then prayed shiva and spread the efficiency of vibudhi and the vibudhi wearing people.
THANDIRAMAVADU NEERU- In Jainsim, they will have so many thantras and manthras. Even the sakta cult have like this. The extensive shaivites like kalamukas, kabaligas also do things like this. But for saivites the vibuthi itself is the tantra.
SAMYATHIL ULLADU NEERU- Here we can take two types of meanings... The usage of vibuthi is itself acknowledged in the shaiva samaya. But, I think the second one will be more apt. Vibudhi can be obtained at anytime (Samayam- time), Samyathil ulladu neeru. Jains objected sambandar to provide the vibudhi of shri somasundara, then sambanda provided the divine kitchen ash as the holy ash and cured the disease. So, it can be available in any form. at any situation vibudhi can be obtained.
SENDUVAR VAI UMAI PANGAN THIRUVALAVAYAN THIRUNEERE- thats the fame of the one's vibuthi who owns the part of the cherry red lips of uma residing in Thiruvalavai (madurai).

2. VEDATHIL ULLADU NEERU- Its there in the vedic hymns (Iam not sure- Vikrama ji has to answer). VENDUYAR THEERPADHU NEERU- the vibudhi itself provides all the remedies. (The practical example was the case of koon pandia). PODHAM THARUVADU NEERU- The vibudhi itself gives the bodham (Gnanam). PUNMAI THAVIRPADU NEERU- It wont let the people to go in wrong way. (The wearing of vibudhi turned the pandya as a saivite and lead him to the right way can be taken as an example). ODHA THAGUVADHU NEERU- This is the main verse I think. We spend lot of time in discussing so many things (Even in this forum). This is the right thing which deserves for discussion. UNMAIL ULLADU NEERU- What an exact depiction. Finally, one this ash will remain. Unmail- In reality, finally only this ash will remain.
SEEDAPUNAL VAYAL SUZHNDA THIRUVALAVAYAN THIRUNEERE- the vibudhi of swami who owned the coldwater-logged fields in thiruvalavai has this power.

3. MUKTHI THARUVADU NEERU- Vibuthi itself gives moksha (The story of durvasa visiting hell); MUNIVAR ANIVADU NEERU- all the sages wear this. (It means indirectly sambandar says, atleast waer vibudhi, which will change your attidudes and turn you into satvic path). SATHIYAMAVADU NEERU- I think UNMAI and SATHIYAM are two different words. Already in this forum some discussions went regarding this issue. SATHIYAM here means Surity (Assurance) I think. Vibuthi provides assurance. THAKKOR PUGAZHVADU NEERU- No matter whether some people degrade the fames of this (Kazhudaikku theriyuma karppoa vasanai). The learnt scholars always praise vibudhi (What a forethought to sambandar???) BHAKTHI THARUVADU NEERU- It provides us bhakti. A question is by simply wearing a vibudhi, will it takes up in the path of bhakti? Yes. it will. While wearing vibuthi, just say some divine namas or else atleast the vibudhi will be in pooja room orelse infront of some swami photo. Atleast on that second, we will see that na... That itself will also countable in entering in the bakthi marga. PARAVA INIADU NEERU- Parava means spreading the fame (not exactly spreading- One of my friends asked me dust vibuthi everywhere, wehn asked why he said sambandar has sung like this- parava iniyadu neeru- so spread vibudhi everywhere). SIDDHI THARUVADU NEERU- It provides all the siddis. Shri shiva in form of siddha provided vibuthi as wages to the workers who built the wall of shri Jambukeswara temple in thiruvanaikoil. The vibudhi will turn to golden coins as per their work on that day. The wall itself is called as , "THIRUNEETRAN MADHIL". This all will be given by vibudhi of Thiruvalavayan.

REST IN NEXT POST. SORRY....

Pranams

Absolutely right Sri Sundaresan.Suresh. In fact on should take pride in wearing such things. Those days even elite persons never shied away from wearing and going in public. I can quote a few whom I know. But these days many are reluctant to show these signs and may be quite possible the environment is not quite conducive also making them comfortable with in the places of work or whatever. But we should not allow any tendency who aim to bring defame to using such sportings.

In the city where I live, I find many TB boys and girl schoolgoing and college going) wearing the Vibhuti/sandal/kumkumam on their forehead. In fact, it is these symbols by which I recognise them as TB s.Instead of blaming these innocent youngsters, let us give them comfort by making themselves feel convinced f their use.

Youngsters want to be accepted by their peers. It will be difficult for them to if they are minorities in their group.So they may not be able to follow their own symbols /rituals.So instead of blaming them , elders should come to their help.Let them apply vibhuti/chandanam/kumkumam when they are in safe company inn their family. Do not oppose if they hide this behind their banyan or shirt/petticoat.By and by they will feel convinced and comfortable and practise by themselves.

It is the compulsion by elders and the impractical conditions that drive away the otherwise good and sincere youngsters from traditional matters.

So let things be made simple and practical and not dogmatic.
Let things start with compromise. Something is better than noyhing.

The general bend of the discussion now goes towards making things more unpalatable to youth. Let us try to change and make it palatable to youth.

Thanks

Dear Shri Sundaram,

Thanks for your response. One point which I forgot to mention is .traditionally,vibuthi is never used in dry form (except during death related ceremonies). For all auspicious occassions,we have to use vibhuti in wet form-mixing it with water and applying it in forehead,uper and lower arms,chest and stomach and shoulders.

4. KANA INIYADU NEERU- Its good to see the vibudhi (Even we call all the asihwaryas as Vibudhi). KAVINAI THARUVADU NEERU- The vibudhi gives beauty. (Both internal (etrnal) as well as external); PENI ANIBARKELLAM PERUMAI THARUVADU NEERU- The persons who knows the significance of vibudhi and applying it in their body will get fame (This is an important notification: Although in a previous stanza, by simply apllying vibudhi we will get all, in this sentence sambandar is stressing the values of vibudhi and also we will get the fame only when we apply vibudhi after knowing its efficiency). MAANAM THAGAIVADU NEERU- It will protect yourself at all occassions; MADHIYAI THARUVADU NEERU- It gives you good thoughts. It gives your cool mind (EVen medically, applying vibudhi will absorb all the unwanted water content in the head and makes yourself fresh always and keep yourself protected against common cold and all). SENAM THARUVADU NEERU- It provides you the wealth. THRUVALAVAYAN THIRUNEERE.

5.POOSA INIYADU NEERU- vibudhi is easy to apply and also it is nice to wear (The powder form and its smell are good things which we like ourselves to wear that). PUNNIYAMAVADU NEERU- Wearing vibudhi will get rid of all your sins and provides you a lot of Punnyam. PESA INIYADU NEERU- Its true. I myself in now enjoying in typing these words. How significant the vibudhi is??? No words to explain. PERUNTHAVATHORKELLAM ASAI KEDUPADU NEERU- By wearing vibudhi only sages are get rid from their desires. (It means by applying vibudi, we will get the knowledge of temporary nature of the whole world and wil get detachment with this worldily lust and other desires). ANDAM ADAVADU NEERU- Its the end. DESAM PUGAZHVADU NEERU- The whole world is chanting the divinity of vibudi. THIRUVALAVAYAN THRIUNEERE...

Rest in next post.

Pranams

Respected Moderators,

I feel some problem (In particular in this thread only), in posting my posts. It always shows that it is under moderator's view and it will be posted afterwards. It is getting posted only after a day. I really bad for this. Is there really any such special attention is going or it is some technical problem?? Anyhow its irritating me lot.

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.

this is what am getting. Only in this thread alone

Only in this section "Share your knowledge" all posts require approval by a moderator.

Deviating a bit, but delving on the same subject Vibhuthi I would like to know where I can get Vibhuthi made in the traditional way.Because whatever available in the market or even in some temples sometimes has cosmetic ingredients,coloring agents etc and it irritates the skin.I am told if it is made from Pasum Saani(Cow dung) it is the best.It looks grey in color.

Last edited:
I made further enquiries and came to know that Sankara Mutt,West Mambalam,Chennai makes the Vibhuthi strictly in the traditional way and is sold at a very reasonable cost and the proceeds go towards Veda Rakshana.There is a GO samrakshana sala and the cowdung is used in the making of Vibhuthi.Just thought it is a good information worth sharing.

Dear Shri Sundaram,

Thanks for your response. One point which I forgot to mention is .traditionally,vibuthi is never used in dry form (except during death related ceremonies). For all auspicious occassions,we have to use vibhuti in wet form-mixing it with water and applying it in forehead,uper and lower arms,chest and stomach and shoulders.
Hereagain even for death related occassions as an extension to it in pithru karyams and tharpanams according to aathu vazhakkam the vibhuthi is used. Ex: My father used to say that in our family right from fore fathers time the aathu vazha is to wet mix and use vibhuthi for rituals of sradham and tharpanam times. Hope many more are in this sector.

Vibhuti signifies the impermenance of the world and the whole universe.
Placed on the forehead its a constant reminder that everything and anything will goback to the basic 5 elements.
In the same way we must strive to get rid of attachment and our Ahamkara by burning them in the Divine Flame till you can burn no more----(denoted by ashes)

Hereagain even for death related occassions as an extension to it in pithru karyams and tharpanams according to aathu vazhakkam the vibhuthi is used. Ex: My father used to say that in our family right from fore fathers time the aathu vazha is to wet mix and use vibhuthi for rituals of sradham and tharpanam times. Hope many more are in this sector.

Bhasma dharam came from using the bhasma after we perform Aupasanam.That is the real raksha for a grihastha which only he and his family can use.However generally any Bhasmadharanam or vibhuti should be used after it is used in abhsisheka to Siva,Vigneshvara and Subramanyaswami.However this is to be used in dry form only and not in wet form.Only Vibhuti not given as prasadam can be used in wet form as per shastras.

Bhasma dharam came from using the bhasma after we perform Aupasanam.That is the real raksha for a grihastha which only he and his family can use.However generally any Bhasmadharanam or vibhuti should be used after it is used in abhsisheka to Siva,Vigneshvara and Subramanyaswami.However this is to be used in dry form only and not in wet form.Only Vibhuti not given as prasadam can be used in wet form as per shastras.

It is a good piece of information which I am not aware of.Normally we mix the vibhuthi received as prasadam with the vibhuthi purchased from outside for the simple reason that it also gets used in due course.Probably we may have to keep the prasadam vibhuthi separately so that we do not use it in a wet condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back