Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Dr,

Any information regarding after lunch nap. will that time counted? Is it ok to doze off after lunch for half an hour or one hour? what is the ideal?

Thanks
    PVR
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 184/20
    Given: 190/33

do you mean immediately after lunch?
    if you mean so, i wont recommend it because lying down immediately after meals can cause and aggrevate the reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus causing Gastro Esophagal Reflux Disease(GERD) commonly known as Heart Burn.
    i would recommend at least wait for an 1/12 hours after lunch.

If i am not wrong sleeping and bathing immediately after a meal slows down the "digestive fire" in our body according to Ayurveda. Hence all the more its not very advisable to sleep right after meals.
    Opinions may differ in this as main stream medicine does not believe in "digestive fire"

Aham vaishvanaro bhutva
    praaninam deham aashritah
    praapaana samaayuktah
    pacaamy annam catur vidham
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Dr.Renuka ji,

What an extensive and elaborate explanations you have given...Thank you very much.

If not mistaken, I would like to seek your personal guidance.

Dr, basically I am very much health conscious and never leave any minor physical issues un-attended...

But after coming to Dubai on work, I could not care much of my physiques for the past 2 years due time constraint and being totally self-depended for everything that one does and needs in this routine...

Every meal, tea and any other edible are all from Hotel only. So I eat (generally all) just for a name sake. That too every day it would be untimely.

I be always on my chair from the morning till the day end in front of the computer. The health seems to be deteriorating.

One fine day, I seriously thought about this disgusting life style and got much worried about my health. On that day I strongly determined to start working out in a GYM to have good blood circulations, appetite and general physical fitness.

I started working out in a GYM since April this year. But this as well found to be problematic because of lack of sleep. But since I started physically feeling better I am continuing till today.

Dr, I wake up in the morning at 3:30 am, do my prayers for about half an hour and leave my room at 5:15 am. I reach my GYM at 6:15 am and work out for 2 hours.

From 9 am I start working in my office. Being one of Arabic Group of companies, we have afternoon break from 2pm to 5pm. During this time after my lunch I sleep in our exclusive room for about 1 and half hours. I leave office by 8 pm, reach my place of residence by 9.30pm, have my food and sleep by 11 am. Having slept in the afternoon I could really get into sleep by 11:30 pm only.

This way I could sleep only for 4 hours in the night and 1 and a half hour in the afternoon. Over all I could sleep only for 5 and half hours in a day.

In order to substitute rubbish food intake from the hotel, I used to have the following as my break fast every day after my work out in the GYM.

I generally prefer to take heavy breakfast...

- 500 ml of cow milk (fat free). I consume 250 ml just as plain milk and 250 ml hot milk with a pinch of SAFFARON (keeping it soaked for 15 minutes)

- 300 ml of Soya Milk

- 100 g of Corn Flakes with 250 ml of cow milk

- 100 g of Cashew OR Almond OR Pistachio OR Dried Graps

For the Lunch - A cup of Curd Rise / Sambar Rice

For the Night - 5 small Rotis and Bhaji

I am having the above for the past 9 months.

I kindly request your opinion on my sleeping and eating habits as detailed above that would help me to correct myself where ever required...

Your valuable advice and guidance would be highly appreciated…

Thanking you in advance...

Cheers...

RAVI

5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

dear Ravi ji,
    you havent told me your height and weight for me to calculate your Body Mass Index(BMI) to determine your overall health status(BMI is only a rough guide as it does not give an accurate assesment of ones body fat &#37
    People of South Asian Origin eg Indians have a higher genetic risk of developing Metabolic Syndrome(the Triad i had mentioned in my earlier post) and generally carry more weight around the midsection which can increase the risk for a heart attack.

Your lifestyle is rather hectic i see but nevertheless its commendable that you never miss your prayers.
    You work out in the gym for 2 hours thats ok but seems a bit long for daily basis.
    A good workout should always include at least 30 mins of cardiovascular work out.walking on threadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, stairmaster etc.
    always do cardio first( to increase blood supply to muscle) before hitting the weights, even though many men will do the opposite.
    in cardio exercise make sure your heart rate(pulse rate) is in the the target heart rate zone that is 60-70% of (220 minus your age) anything lower than that will burn only glycogen and you will feel very hungry after workout. higher then that will cause burning of precious muscle tissue and decrease your metabolism.

target heart rate work outs will initially burn glycogen and then move into fat burning zone and you wont feel hungry after workout.

keep yourself well hydrated. drink water throughout work out whether thirsty or not.

keep away from isotonic drinks post work out as they are not too needed if you are working out in an aircond gym.

with regard to weights: breathing technique is most important while lifting weights.
    Never ever hold your breath or inhale while lifting weights as this increases intrabdominal pressure and increases risk for hernias in males.
    always get to the point when your lungs have exhaled but still a little air left in it and then lift your weights.

food: your breakfast seems fairly good.but comercial corn flakes have high content of refined sugar. you can also take oats with milk.
    you can also blend 2 bananas with low fat milk and add a little cocoa powder(after diluting it with warm water) and have it as a post work out drink
    since you are working out regularly and lead a stressful lifestyle please take a vit B & C supplements.

your lunch of curd rice/sambar is ok but try to eat thicker dhall, paneer, and garbenzo beans for a higher protein meal as your work out rather long hours.
    please take fruits and green leafy vegetables.
    for dinner make sure there is protein along with your bhaji/capatis
    try not to take too much ghee/oil along with your capatis. if you can get tofu at dubai have it once in a while.

you are totally lacking in sleep my dear Ravi ji, that i can hardly help you. you should try at least 6 hours minimum.
    you have to fit in an extra 1/2 hour somewhere. have a light lunch if you plan to sleep right way after meals. make it a higher protein and very minimal carbhohydrate meal so that your blood sugar level wont rise too high after a meal as this causes fat deposition when you are asleep.

hope my explanation is clear enough.
    Last edited by renuka; 12-11-2009 at 04:19 PM.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Dear Dr Renuka Ji,

Thank you very much for your reply, and the posts are very informative, i keep reading.. thanks.

PVR
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Dr.Renuka ji,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply....

The time that you have taken to read my personal request and the efforts with which you have pin pointed every requirements for me are all highly appreciative.

I thank you whole heartedly for your kind gesture to help me with required directions.

By the way as you have indicated, I forgot to specify my age and weight.

By that calculation, I think I am over weight...Because my age is - 33 years; height - 5.6 & weight - 76.4 [this is quit disgusting for me. Because before started working out I was only 73.5. But now Iam weighing 76.4 though I became slim and good structured without belly]

Cheers...

RAVI
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Dear Shri. Ravi,

Just out of curiosity, why do you wake up at 3.30 am? Is it because you want to wake up in the brahmamuhurtham time? How on earth do you manage to sleep just for 4 and half hours in the night? Gym is good but may be you can try walking/running outside Zabeel or Safa park if you drive. There is a rubberized track which does not affect the back. Since you get up so early you will not have traffic trouble reaching these places.

I find the fresh air much better than the stale conditioned air we keep breathing. I work in Dubai and probably we will meet sometime soon.

Thanks
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

dont worry, muscle tissue weighs 3 times more than fat and occupies less storage space hence one may look trim and with flater abs.
    you could have lost fat and gained muscle.
    just be consistent in your work out.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by renukakarthikayan View Post
    dont worry, muscle tissue weighs 3 times more than fat and occupies less storage space hence one may look trim and with flater abs.
    you could have lost fat and gained muscle.
    just be consistent in your work out.
    Thank you so much Dr..

Cheers

RAVI

17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by anandb View Post
    Dear Shri. Ravi,

Just out of curiosity, why do you wake up at 3.30 am? Is it because you want to wake up in the brahmamuhurtham time? How on earth do you manage to sleep just for 4 and half hours in the night? Gym is good but may be you can try walking/running outside Zabeel or Safa park if you drive. There is a rubberized track which does not affect the back. Since you get up so early you will not have traffic trouble reaching these places.

I find the fresh air much better than the stale conditioned air we keep breathing. I work in Dubai and probably we will meet sometime soon.

Thanks
    Sri Anand ji,

Your suggestion is really good....

I have seen lots of girl, boys, aunties, uncles running on the rubberized track during winter evening as well.

Being a bachelor, I stay in a sharing bachelor accommodation where chances of flexibility are ruled out. The exclusive bachelor’s G+2 apartment does not have exclusive Car Park. And as you know finding a space for Car parking is the toughest job in Dubai, I could never feel to think about obtaining a license and own a car. I rejected my companies offer of 50% License fee re-imbursement and a Car to commute.

Thus, for me it's practical only by way leave my room early in the morning and go to GYM near to my office, change my cloth, work out, take bath in the GYM, and get into my office before 9am.

This has offered me to take the benefit of Brahma Muhurtham unintentionally

Yeah, I too believe so…..We will meet sometime soon

By the way, I am also curious to know as whether we Tamil Brahmin in Dubai have any sort of gathering somewhere to involve in Bhajans and any other spiritual/cultural activities? Like Sindhi Memorial Hall in Meena Bazaar, Bur Dubai, where there will be such religious activities are carried out and lunch provided on every Friday. I stay in Bur Dubai but could never make it out on any Fridays…Because that is the day when we wake up not before 10 am.

Cheers....

RAVI

Last edited by C RAVI; 12-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast