• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

South Indian Iyengar recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=3]Vatha kuzhambu[/h]

[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
Tamarind (puli) - size of lemon
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu) - 1 tablespoon
Urid dhal (ulutham paruppu) - 1 tablespoon
Thoor dhal (thuvaram paruppu) - 1 tablespoon
Vendhayam (fenu greek) - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilly - 6
Kuzhambu podi - 2 tablespoon
Gingely oil (nallennai) - 6 tablespoon
Asafoetida powder
Salt - 2 teaspoon

[h=3]
[/h][h=3]Preparation[/h]

1. Prepare 2 tumblers of tamarind water by thoroughly sqeezing tamarind in water
  2. Heat gingely oil in a pan
  3. Add asafoetida and mustard. Allow mustard to burst
  4. Add bengal gram, urid dhal, thoor dhal, chilly, vendhayam and fry till they turn red
  5. Add kozhambu podi in the pan
  6. Add the tamarind water
  7. Boil for 10 minutes
  8. Add curry leaves and turn off the stoveDrumstick vathakuzhambu : Add chopped drumstick and boil along with tamarind (Step 6 above)
  9. Sundakkai (or) manathakkaali vatha kuzhambu : Fry any one of these in a separate pan, with a teaspoon of gingely oil. Add this along with curry leaves as a final step.

Brinjal (or) ladies finger vatha kuzhambu : Add any one of this in step 4 above and fry along with them.

I do not use all these dals, but I will try it.
Just out of curiosity, can there be a north Indian Iyengar?
There are North Indian Vaishnavs.

Last edited:
And do we have northy iyers? What do we call the north indian saivites?
I do not know the tone of your question, so I am not going to answer it, the answer is evident.
My post was in response the OP.
which said:
South Indian Iyengar recipes

I thought it was oxymoron.

Last edited:
I do not use all these dals, but I will try it.
Just out of curiosity, can there be a north Indian Iyengar?
There are North Indian Vaishnavs.
There are north indian iyengars.
They are originally from south but settled in mathura

There are two iyengar temples -divya desam ones -One is vada mathura sri goverdana dasa perumal near brindavan and another thirvaipadi sri navamohana krishna perumal temple, ayarpadi.

The priests there are settled for centuries are iyengars. They communicate in hindi and are of tamil origin.

They are truly north indian iyengar.

I am one. My father settled in delhi in nineteen twenties,almost a century back, But I know tamil because I studied in tamil schools here.lol

There are north indian iyengars.
They are originally from south but settled in mathura

There are two iyengar temples -divya desam ones -One is vada mathura sri goverdana dasa perumal near brindavan and another thirvaipadi sri navamohana krishna perumal temple, ayarpadi.

The priests there are settled for centuries are iyengars. They communicate in hindi and are of tamil origin.

They are truly north indian iyengar.

I am one. My father settled in delhi in nineteen twenties,almost a century back, But I know tamil because I studied in tamil schools here.lol

Thanks for the info. But my post was kind of tongue-in-cheek comment.

In USA they have a term WASP which stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestant). By definition you can not have black Anglo Saxons.

Your explanation just gives a transplanted Iyangars. They are not a distinct group separate from the mother group to form a sect yet. If you had said "south Indian Iyengar Mutton chops" or "South Indian Iyangar Beef burrito" then it will be different matter. :frusty:

Last edited:
Have a heart.prasadji

Our Vatha kuzhambu is an iyengar speciality.

It should not lose its significance in north south hair splittiing.

Thanks to PSN sir for posting the recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back