• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Excessive dakshinai amount!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear board members, we had a bereavement in the family at Coimbatore. The purohit had been paid RS. 25,000 for the first two days. He is asking for a dakshinai of RS. 80000 for the 3 -13 the day ceremonies. This is in addition to RS.22000 towards brahmanastham sathumurai etc. We have also purchased and provided all the items for thaligai and the ceremonies. I believe the dakshinai amount is very excessive.
I will be thankful to the members for sharing with us their experience to help us get an idea of what would be a fair amount. We are Tamil iyengar Brahmins.

Dear board members, we had a bereavement in the family at Coimbatore. The purohit had been paid RS. 25,000 for the first two days. He is asking for a dakshinai of RS. 80000 for the 3 -13 the day ceremonies. This is in addition to RS.22000 towards brahmanastham sathumurai etc. We have also purchased and provided all the items for thaligai and the ceremonies. I believe the dakshinai amount is very excessive.
I will be thankful to the members for sharing with us their experience to help us get an idea of what would be a fair amount. We are Tamil iyengar Brahmins.
hi

i think ...iyengar vadhyars very scarce......you try many options....

Dear raghusn
I have an iyengar vadhyar from tirupathi, very enterprising and willing to go anywhere in india .He is really good

I have utilised him for good occassions in kolkatta and bangalore.

I will give you his contact today with his name .

You may contact him to see if he is available for your 10th to 13th ceremonies.You can mention my name

He has his team .

He will collect money on meeting you.

You may negotiate to suit your budget

best wishes

Krish44[krishnan]

In continuation of my mail, vadhyar details

Name -Anantham vadhyar

Mob-09543028014

See if it works out for you

krish44

Dear Krishnan sir, so very kind of you. We have made other arrangements due to time constraints. We will keep the details for our future reference. Thanks again.

It is true that the professional fees demanded is on the higher side. Considering the suggestion of Mr Krish44, even if you bear the to and fro expenses of that Vadhyar, it should be reasonable.

While the Vadhyars are entitled to hike in their earnings, they should also bear in mind that unless, we, brahmins continue to follow our religious rites, their future earning prospects also will be dim.

In places like Chennai, Kancheepuram, Srirangam, Kumbakonam etc., there are teams of Sri Vaishnava Vadhyars, whom, if contacted will depute any of their team members. Unfortunately, I do not have any of their contact numbers.

Our TB forum members living in Srirangam, Kancheepuram, Kumbakonam & Chennai may share the mobile numbers and names of their Vadhyars, who can be help in this matter.

just as a matter of interest, some titbits about vadhyars in toronto..

- a friend recently engaged a vadhiar for his sister's wedding. fees for the 2 hour ceremony is $600

- vadhyars here dont depend on tamil brahmins for their livelihood. there is a thriving sri lankan tamil hindu community. vadhyars are in demand there for many many ceremonies .. ie in addition to weddings, deaths, also for girl maturing (puppunitha neerattu vizha), new house, ganapathy homam etc.

- several vadhyars have their own temples.

Perhaps our sastrigals can concentrate on foreign market.

Even in staes like AP and Telengana where political class is NB, these sastrigals get a good deal. Chandra Sekhar Rao organised a yagya with these recently. Both states

have announced reservation for brahmins in jobs.

Sri raghusn,

For searching for a good vadhyars you may get in touch with your area ******* -Regd.(Tamilnadu Brahmins Association). In Coimbatore there are around 10 branches, I suppose.
Annual membership fee is Rs. 100/- Life membership is Rs. 500/- One Panchangam will be given free every year.

In my area, the local branch association at Chennai, sell Panchangam. In it, they annexes the essential phone numbers for a house hold. That include a list of phone numbers of all vadhyars residing in and around the locality.
I give the phone number ofTAMBRAS State President Salem S.Sriraman, who is also an Iyengar. and an Auditor at Salem. He may guide you to have in touch with your area office bearers who in turn may be of help in finding an Iyengar Vadhyar suiting your budget.

Importing vadhyars is not advisable as it will land you in a situation of " Sundaik kAi KAl paNam; sumai cooli mukkAl paNam.

Salem S. Sriraman...... 9443289255

Dakshinai for the death and funeral ceremonies is really very high. The middle income group can perhaps, put up with this. What about the poor tamil brahmins? They can not afford this expense but would feel guilty if they do not perform it. It is because of such large dakshina (?), people have now started totally avoiding the death rites and funeral ceremonies. Many people donate large sums to orphanages, temples and mutts in the name of the departed and do not perform any rites. They are also happy. This trend would only increase and some day in the future people would neither donate nor perform the rites. What a sad state of affairs in our community

Can some one tell me or upload how to read the new year panchangam on 14th april, 2016. Wishing all a very Happy and Prosperous Tamil New Year. Thanks, Jayashree

Everybody is looting. Then why not the purohits? It is not funeral but for all functions they charge very high. Maybe they are trying to take us direct to heaven! Cost of living has gone up for every body but an accomplished or purohit qualified enough to perform a marriage rites for a muhurtham is Rs.35K (max. 2 hrs.). Everybody has made money the dirtiest. We await god's Avatar to sweep the earth of its dirt.

Everything these days is governed by supply and demand.

So vadhyars have also become smart and making a killing for performing at marriages and death.

Most brahmins have become wise. They also engage these only for the shortest time and dispense with them. For death , it is only on the day of funeral alone.

for marriages , they bargain hard , get competitive quotes.

Even getting these from other towns is still economical paying for their journey up and down. IN AP ,telengana the vaishnavite types are far cheaper.

In north , I do not mind north indian purohits for death. There are plenty of them at the funeral ghats who will perform the ceremonies for a minor amount

First the members must know that most of the socalled vadhyars are either semiliterate,illetarate or fake. Why should we run after these fellows who do not deserve any respect from us. It is time for us the brahmins to find alternate ways of performing these last rites. Why these goons are demandind so much from us is becuase those foreign rascals when they come to Madras to perform last rites of their parents do not bother to pay any fancy amount to vadhyars and most ask them to do anything and everything from first day to the last 13thday on contract just to please their so called relatives and show them their money power. If you want to see it for yourselves go to Besantnagar THEERTHAM which is the favourite place for these foreign goondas. Only because of them these local vadhyars demand fabulous amount . I would very much like to write an article about this furnishing A to Z about what is going on in that theertham and other vadhyars following the same referring to Besantnagar vadhyars remuneration under the guise of Dakshina. What is the use of shouting now when we are not united in any matter.

First the members must know that most of the socalled vadhyars are either semiliterate,illetarate or fake. Why should we run after these fellows who do not deserve any respect from us. It is time for us the brahmins to find alternate ways of performing these last rites. Why these goons are demandind so much from us is becuase those foreign rascals when they come to Madras to perform last rites of their parents do not bother to pay any fancy amount to vadhyars and most ask them to do anything and everything from first day to the last 13thday on contract just to please their so called relatives and show them their money power. If you want to see it for yourselves go to Besantnagar THEERTHAM which is the favourite place for these foreign goondas. Only because of them these local vadhyars demand fabulous amount . I would very much like to write an article about this furnishing A to Z about what is going on in that theertham and other vadhyars following the same referring to Besantnagar vadhyars remuneration under the guise of Dakshina. What is the use of shouting now when we are not united in any matter.

dear narasimhan,

as a typical foreign goonda described in your post above, i agree with you 100%. except that i was swindled in kasi :) not besant nagar. i paid 50,000 rupees for annual ceremony of my mother/ancestors. but i realized that i had inflated the market, because a middle class indian family was paying the same.

for me, the money was affordable. not sure about these or other such families.

death, in reality, brings out a complex set of feelings - partly religious, partly fear, guilt, sense of duty..etc that we feel obliged to perform those rites irrespective of the cost.

in the west, the situation is similar, in a funeral home. for those who bury their dead, the salesmen pitch about the need/requirement for a grand funeral, including $10,000 (average) casket so that the departed can rest in comfort :). the man is dead and gone, and these guys sell the grieving family, about how comfortable he should be under ground while his body is rotting?

i dont know sir,... but i understand your anger and pain.

Is there any need to use harsh words against vAdhyArs and NRIs?

The IT field has increased the take home pay even in India. Now a days, servant maids demand Rs. 1,000/ per work -

1. Sweeping the garden. 2. Washing the vessels. 3. Sweeping and mopping the floor. No one is ready to wash the

restrooms or do laundry. That is the situation in Sing. Chennai! So, the demand by vAdhyArs is nothing surprising!

P.S: Some brahmins approach Arya samAj, whether it is a wedding celebration or death rituals. :cool:

hi

in kerala..everything is increased ...due to GULF MONEY...common man can't afford...so like this....there are simple vadhyars/

simple systems in dakshinai tooo....but we are not ready go to remote village to do death cermonies/any vishesham....

we want everything very fast....very easy too...then we have to pay EXTRA for extreme requirements....just example...

in USA...if we want temple priest...we have to pay temple charges + dakshnai....if we want private priest...we have

to pay same dollar together....so everything depend upon SERVICES....nature of time/place....

Dakshinai for the death and funeral ceremonies is really very high. The middle income group can perhaps, put up with this. What about the poor tamil brahmins? They can not afford this expense but would feel guilty if they do not perform it. It is because of such large dakshina (?), people have now started totally avoiding the death rites and funeral ceremonies. Many people donate large sums to orphanages, temples and mutts in the name of the departed and do not perform any rites. They are also happy. This trend would only increase and some day in the future people would neither donate nor perform the rites. What a sad state of affairs in our community

My cousin in T-nagar paid 1 Lack for the death ceremony of his mother. He has been living in Chennai for last 50 years and knows the market very well, he is also very traditionalist. That too in cash.

Dear Prasad Sir,

No vAdhyAr gets paid by cheque. Only cash payments.
If the karthA does not bargain, it would cross even one lakh! :popcorn:

the basic issue-why do people go to vadhyars?It is because, someone who recites for you some vedic mantras in sanskrit and

helping you to perform a ritual for marriage or death of a relative. If you are ignorant and someone charges you for a service

based on his knowledge either bargain like in any commercial transaction or look for alternatives. one can learn from

vadhyars how to price services. They price their services based on demand and paying capacity of those availing their

services. It is a free market. Why do people complain.? When children of TBs earn in lakhs in india or in dollars abroad, they

boast about it[By the way I also boast about my kids]. Why crib about vadhyars making a killing?

Is there any need to use harsh words against vAdhyArs and NRIs?

The IT field has increased the take home pay even in India. Now a days, servant maids demand Rs. 1,000/ per work -

1. Sweeping the garden. 2. Washing the vessels. 3. Sweeping and mopping the floor. No one is ready to wash the

restrooms or do laundry. That is the situation in Sing. Chennai! So, the demand by vAdhyArs is nothing surprising!

P.S: Some brahmins approach Arya samAj, whether it is a wedding celebration or death rituals. :cool:

Yes I can use even very bad words against these fellows. Because you are flying high ,I think, you dont care to pay anything to these goondas. What about those middle class people.. Do you think all brahmins are so rich like you and those USA wallas. One of my close relative, I had a fight with him in this matter, came to chennai only 2 days after his father's death and without even a sign of weeping simply asked a relative to arrange for everything from burning the corpse to th last 13 th day and accepted a demand of RS.1.5 lakhs by the vadhyar for every thing from catering to about 10 persons daily. After leaving his only mother without any relative with her he left for USA and even for Varushabtheegam he came to Chennai only after 2months after the due date and again performed the sraaththam and flown away in about 15 days. most of us did not attend the ceremony an left him alone to do allthings for himself.This has happened 3 years before and so the demand by vadhyar was only 1.5 lakhs.

As long as we don't meet in person, I don't worry about P S N Sir's post! :cool:
Rajiji,
:grouphug:

PSNji,

You raised the topic, let us discuss what is fair.
1. who will decide?
2. Will it be nationwide or local?
3. What if no vadyar is willing to do at the "fair" price?
4. Will there be a special price for emergency service?

As long as we don't meet in person, I don't worry about P S N Sir's post! :cool:

I dont expect anyone either to support or oppose my post, and I always post only the truth about this matter. In what way it is going to help either Mrs RR or me by meeting in person and discuss this matter threadbear as most of us are already discussing this matter in detail. We must see what is happening before our eyes instead of closing the same and tell the world is bright and beautiful. To make the matter very clear I would like to emphasize that I have great regard to Mrs.RR though she hate me from top to toe. I always welcome her straight forward comments in all matters including the present one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back