• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

உங்களை நீங்களே சுற்றலாமா

Status
Not open for further replies.
உங்களை நீங்களே சுற்றலாமா

உங்களை நீங்களே சுற்றலாமா
(ஆத்ம பிரதட்சிணம் )
சில பக்தர்கள், தலைமேல் கைகளை உயர்த்தி வைத்து கூப்பியபடி, சுவாமி சந்நிதியை நோக்கி, தங்களைத் தாங்களே சுற்றியபடி சுவாமியை வணங்குவார்கள். இதை "ஆத்ம பிரதட்சிணம்' என்பர். இவ்வாறு கோயிலுக்குள் செய்ய அனுமதியில்லை. சூரிய நமஸ்காரம் செய்யும்போது மட்டும் தான், தன்னைத்தானே இரண்டு முறை சுற்றிக்கொண்டு வணங்கலாம்

Please give some reference for this. Please do not think I am questioning your point. I have seen in many places where elders did Athma Pradhakshinam. I want to be sure about this.

R.Ramaswami

Why do we do Atma Pradakshina?

At the end of the pujas , it is a custom to do pradakshinam around ourselves three times & this is called “Atma Pradakshinam”. The proper pradakshina is going round the Self (Atma Pradakshina) or more accurately, to realize that we are the Self and that within us all the countless spheres revolve, going round and round. We bow to the supreme divinity within us, chanting
Yani kani cha paapaani janmanthara kruthaani cha
Thaani thaani vinas(h)yanthi pradakshina padae padae
May those omissions and commissions done in this life and also in the previous births and the resulting afflictions perish with every pradakshina.

Why it is saying that to do not complete a full PRADHAKSHINAM in Lord Siva Temples? (we are not permitted to take a full circle, normally we are doing half-circle in clockwise and half circle in anti-clockwise

ஆத்மப்ரதக்ஷினம்:- ஸ்ரீமான் ராமசாமி அவர்களுக்கு. நாம் ஆத்மா பிரதிக்ஷணம் செய்துகொள்வதில் தவறில்லை மெத்த படித்த வேத விற்பன்னர் ஒருவர் இதைப்பற்றி சந்தேகம் இருந்தால் அவரவருடைய வாத்தியார்,ப்ரஹஸ்பதி அல்லது சாஸ்த்ரிகளை கலந்துகொண்டு அவர் சொல்படி செய்ய வேண்டும் என்று சொன்னார். என்ன சரிதானே.

Atmapradakshinam is said to be a prAyaschittam process.

We do this during the sandhya because by doing certain karmas during the sandhya a certain amount of pApa is considered to be accumulating to us and to neutralize that we do Atmapradakshinam as a prayaschittam.

This is what I read somewhere. If I am asked to quote the reference, I will have to hunt through my personal library and that is a time consuming task. Please ask some learned Acharyan and you may get the answer quickly.

Namaskaram - just wanted to share what I got to know regarding your question on Siva temple pradakshina. The said rule applies only during pradosham times. Other times you need to do the pradakshinam as usual. During pradosha Siva is dancing in between the horns of nandhi. The way that we do pradakshina as you mentioned is the symbolic representation of nandhi's horns and Shiva is in the middle.
Thanks
Arun M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back