• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Observations and perspectives from my visit few cities in India in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

I wanted to post some possibly controversial views and hence this is in the General Section.

This past month for few weeks I had an opportunity to visit a few cities in India for both professional reasons and to see some of my friends & relatives.

It is always fascinating for me anytime I have an opportunity to visit any part of India.

Let me share some interesting exchanges. If any of the members had different viewpoints please do share.

1. A few of my friends for many decades thought I was an Iyengar :) Not that I have advertised to anyone what I am or not because I personally do not believe in the classification. One person told me that it is nice that I do not mind wearing Viboothi on my forehead.

He went on to say that we need more progressive people like this. I then asked him what he was talking about. Later he apologized and I did not see any reason to apologize. I told him I can be well meaning Iyengar too except I do not know all the customs. I told him that it is an honor to be thoughts so because he was an Iyengar. Overall it was a funny exchange.

2. I somehow get this feeling that most people from the structured society have become de-sensitized to the unsophisticated and poor people. I do not think myself to be anything special and if I see a beggar approaching the car I was in I would often try to respond if I am able to. This invariably irritated my host especially if I was in a car driven by their driver.

If I see a street dog and wondered out loud how the poor thing is surviving in the heat without food I was told to not act all that liberal. One friend told me that we do not need NRIs to come and tell us how to take care of our dogs. These are friends of mine and so I did not argue further. I was not trying to act anything special but it seemed small comments sometime irritated people!

3. I was in Chennai only for 3 days. I had few interesting small episodes. Near the tank area around Kabalishwarar temple I was waiting for someone to pick me up in their vehicle. I was standing next to a woman who was selling flowers who asked me if I wanted to buy some flowers. I said I have no need for it but continued the conversation. It seemed this young woman had two unruly teenage kids to raise at home (she seemed in her mid 30s) and her husband died recently at the age of 38 because of drinking alcohol. Despite all this there was an air of optimism about her.

She was eating some peanut balls and offered me one which I took. Finally I wanted to give her some money when my ride arrived and she refused to take it. I told her that I do not have time to buy flowers from her but that she can take the money and put some flowers in the temple on my behalf which she agreed to do. There was a quiet dignity in all this that was truly touching.

4. I found that people who sell fruits in the sun and toil all day tend to be honest. I bought some fruits without any negotiations. As I ordered the next item, the person added one more fruit on his own to my bag. He probably over priced thinking I am going to negotiate. I will not say this happened all the time, but most often this was the case.

4. I have a message for Auto Rikshaw fellows .. Will share that in my next post ..

I was visiting Chennai after almost 6 years though I have frequented cities such as Delhi or Mumbai much more frequently.

I prefer to take Auto Rickshaws if possible because I usually end up having good discussions with them.

These fellows work many hours a day under difficult road and traffic conditions just to possibly early Rs 15K to Rs 30 K per month. However their approach by and large, in my limited experience, is to see if they can cheat the passenger.

With the availability of Uber and Ola it seems to me they can learn to adopt. Many people have no problem paying two times or three times the normal fare based on time of the day and other factors when they negotiate a OLA or Uber ride.

The auto fellows could really use the meter and negotiate in the same manner. They may have much more success and better reception if they are seen as transparent.

Many do have meters and can use them. In the few times I used the autos, I simply told them that I can pay some amount over and above the metered fare. They usually asked for Rs 30 or 40 over when taking a ride of 30 minutes or more.

I had Google Maps saved in my phone and was able to guide the fellow if he was trying to take me for a ride.

I think the transparency will make easier life for them and people may feel better hiring an auto.

In chatting with the drivers I found these fellows always had a story to share. In the end they were very grateful when I tipped over what was agreed to.

Every time I visit India I get a "sticker shock" with the prices posted for all kinds of items.
I find most people locally (at least upper middle class types) least bothered by the price of any item.

My concern was not about being able to afford or be a miser about spending.

I simply wonder how people are able to put up with such steep rise in prices almost on a monthly basis.

There are many in fixed income after retirement from private enterprises.

One of my cousin's uncle had lost his wife and lived alone (since he had no children).

Some years ago he had died alone and his body was found many days later. He had reduced his consumption of food to just one meal a day due to rising prices and he never shared this information with anyone.

A decade or more ago I gave him some money though he was very reluctant to accept it. He never used the money I gave except to put in some post office related investment. He was using only the interest and had 'nominated' me for the Principal amount.

In this visit, I tried to get that money out and spend it as donation to a cause he believed in.

Though the rules of the Post Office is strict and it is bureaucratic I found the postmaster to be very kind. I realized that the system works despite all the issues because there are caring individuals doing their duty well.

Very touching experience and emotionally articulated by tks. Thank you for sharing your experience. We, Indians, are becoming more and more insensitive to the next Indian. This I had also noticed after an absence of about 11 years away from India. I feel that we could be more kind and considerate to our fellow beings and animals whichever caste, religion, subcaste we may belong to. Thank you once again to bring this topic up, tks. Gopal

Every time I visit India I get a "sticker shock" with the prices posted for all kinds of items.
I find most people locally (at least upper middle class types) least bothered by the price of any item.

I simply wonder how people are able to put up with such steep rise in prices almost on a monthly basis.

One of my cousin's uncle had lost his wife and lived alone (since he had no children).

Some years ago he had died alone and his body was found many days later. He had reduced his consumption of food to just one meal a day due to rising prices and he never shared this information with anyone.

A decade or more ago I gave him some money though he was very reluctant to accept it. He never used the money I gave except to put in some post office related investment. He was using only the interest and had 'nominated' me for the Principal amount.

In this visit, I tried to get that money out and spend it as donation to a cause he believed in.

Though the rules of the Post Office is strict and it is bureaucratic I found the postmaster to be very kind. I realized that the system works despite all the issues because there are caring individuals doing their duty well.

Very poignant anecdote about your cousin's uncle! Most of TB's live within their means! Very simple living & they do their might for charity too!

I was visiting Chennai after almost 6 years though I have frequented cities such as Delhi or Mumbai much more frequently.

I prefer to take Auto Rickshaws if possible because I usually end up having good discussions with them.

These fellows work many hours a day under difficult road and traffic conditions just to possibly early Rs 15K to Rs 30 K per month. However their approach by and large, in my limited experience, is to see if they can cheat the passenger.

With the availability of Uber and Ola it seems to me they can learn to adopt. Many people have no problem paying two times or three times the normal fare based on time of the day and other factors when they negotiate a OLA or Uber ride.

The auto fellows could really use the meter and negotiate in the same manner. They may have much more success and better reception if they are seen as transparent.

Many do have meters and can use them. In the few times I used the autos, I simply told them that I can pay some amount over and above the metered fare. They usually asked for Rs 30 or 40 over when taking a ride of 30 minutes or more.

I had Google Maps saved in my phone and was able to guide the fellow if he was trying to take me for a ride.

I think the transparency will make easier life for them and people may feel better hiring an auto.

In chatting with the drivers I found these fellows always had a story to share. In the end they were very grateful when I tipped over what was agreed to.

hi sir,

when i visited chennai last october before deepavali....i hired a call taxi....the departure day to USA....very heavy rainy day...

everywhere traffic jam due to rain upto chennai airport...myself and young taxi driver talked while he was driving...we have

nice tea together in a tea shop near pallavaram.....we talked abt local politics/USA life etc....then i told that im a retired

army man and came chennai for army life certifivate etc....when i tipped extra money for him...he rejected and he likes

army men and saluted me.....then i said ...im not army man anymore..now im an NRI...finally i said..keep my tip for

deepavali festival and as a gift to his family......he cried.... even i cried for like this good taxi drivers.....he helped me to

reach chennai air port before time during heavy rain in the city.....

1.I have held the belief that many in india are poor as they are honest and make their living with limited talents they posess

2. Most auto fellows in chennai if you strike a conversation with them would have an interesting story to tell about their exploits and dealings with policemen .

Some would discuss politics with you running down one of he dravidian parties and praising the other depending on their political affiliation.

3. most old men ,women outside temples in flower shops, selling fruits would be generous and open out if one is kind to them and give them a little more than

expected.

4. People in chennai are extra helpful. If you try to take an or taxi for short distances, they would dissuade you and instead tell you to take a bus or walk taking a short

cut thru byelanes.They would be strangers but they cannot help doing this.

5. In woodlands recently , an old lady from abroad told me to have food at music academy nearby during the music season instead of wasting money in woodlands.She said it

was more delicious and cheaper,

6. I was going around in chennai with a plastered leg due to a fracture,I had to explain to a lot of strangers, how I broke my leg.Some told me I should have gone to

puthur.Also told me going to some temple and putting a replica of leg in some metal will make it heal faster

7.. One stopped me on the road to tell me I resemble kerala CM.

8. When I talk in my brand of tamil mixed with hindi , most ask m if I am a marwari. Most imagine I am a money lender of sorts tight with money.so I do not get

overcharged.

9. It is impossible on walk on the beach with wet clothes with sand sticking on them . Most would stop you and encouragingly tell you that on drying sand will fall off.

People of chennai are very sociable and give you a lot of attention and take care for you

Last edited:
Observations and perspectives from my visit few cities in India in January Your Messa

Dear Sri Tbs,

Nice of you have posted your observations on your recent visit to Chennai.

I am of the strong view that humanity in general are all the same, their heart is filled with love and compassion. Sharing and supporting is found more common among the underpriviledged and poor among the human race. We call it as Dharma, and the Africans (Zulu) call it as Ubuntu. it is the drops of discontent infused by a few selfish people, in the names of Race,Religion, Caste, Language etc. spread the poison of discontent. The media especially the visual one are the big culprits in this regard. They keep the hatred buring by repeated visuals of trivial incidents to gain their TRP ratings.

Auto Rickshaw Drivers fall into two catagories, good and bad. Most of them are hard working and good people. In our cities, to drive in the heavy traffic on the bad roads through indisciplined crowd is a difficult job. It would sap anyone's energy and lose temper easily.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shri tks, maybe you would want to see the movie "naan kadavul" to understand the "begging" business and all that goes behind it. Probably your friends just want to make sure that they are not cheated or, are not abetting, albeit indirectly, the mafia.

I heard that in a certain temple in coimbatore that when a meal token is given to a beggar (physically challenged or otherwise), they exchange the coupon in the same hotel at a discount and pocket the money.

Dear Sri Tks.,

People who visit our Country from abroad, especially from US react in the same way as you feel about the prices.
But you will find the salaries have also increased several times to balance the same. For instance the daily wage for an artisan like mason, or painter and carpenter ranges between Rs 400 to Rs 700/-. Our servant maid earns Rs 9,000/= p.m. Her husband is an Auto Driver, he earns Rs.500/= p.d. In addition, the so called BPL people are benefitted by freebees andf subsidies. Private tuition teachers charge Rs.450/= per hour. The same goes with music and dance teachers. You might have seen the Cities are filled with Super Markets and Malls. Roads are oiverflowing with Cars and bikes of all denominations. Today,we cannot enter eateries or the Jewellery and Garment Shops which are always crowded. Kempegowda International Airport handles 400 Air Traffic Movements (ATM) perday. It has handled 15.24 Million passengers in 2014-15.
People are in a hurry to earn money and money, and they lavishly spend.
How ever the fact is that retired people with out Pension benefits of my generation find it difficult to cope up with the available funds to maintain our living, without the support of children,who in most cases live abroad.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

How ever the fact is that retired people with out Pension benefits of my generation find it difficult to cope up with the available funds to maintain our living, without the support of children,who in most cases live abroad.

The elderly did not plan for their retirement! They spent beyond means to educate their children and in spending for daughter's marriage! By the time they realize the danger they are already retired! The current generation though, has learnt it the hard way & is focusing on savings for retirement! We should strive to be independent as much as possible for our financial needs!

Dear Sri Tks.,

People who visit our Country from abroad, especially from US react in the same way as you feel about the prices.
But you will find the salaries have also increased several times to balance the same. For instance the daily wage for an artisan like mason, or painter and carpenter ranges between Rs 400 to Rs 700/-. Our servant maid earns Rs 9,000/= p.m. Her husband is an Auto Driver, he earns Rs.500/= p.d. In addition, the so called BPL people are benefitted by freebees andf subsidies. Private tuition teachers charge Rs.450/= per hour. The same goes with music and dance teachers. You might have seen the Cities are filled with Super Markets and Malls. Roads are oiverflowing with Cars and bikes of all denominations. Today,we cannot enter eateries or the Jewellery and Garment Shops which are always crowded. Kempegowda International Airport handles 400 Air Traffic Movements (ATM) perday. It has handled 15.24 Million passengers in 2014-15.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
hi sir,

nice write up and thanks for your appreciation..

next comes herewith...i visit everyyear chennai from USA....more than 15 years regularly for my LIFE CERTIFICATE SYNDROME

in november every year in chennai bank....i observe a lot from airport on arrival till my departure....i wonder always prices

of commodity and purchasing power of ppl....even as an NRI....i can't afford many things in chennai/india....i was always

surprise to see the ppl in restaurants...like SARAVANA BHAVAN OR NORMAL MIDDLE CLASS HOTELS...i have seen many

ppl standing in front of ATM centres....i never did in USA......i never used ATM in india too....i dont know many things

happening india....its very hard to understand purchasing power of indian money./its customers.....when i left india..

it was in 90s or beyond.......i see more CONSUMERISM IN CHENNAI/INDIA.....i like street corner petty shops for grocery/tea

/vegetable shop than going big shops in chennai.....i never visited any MALL in india....

Very poignant anecdote about your cousin's uncle! Most of TB's live within their means! Very simple living & they do their might for charity too!

Indeed they do , in fact the money I ended up cashing from the Post Office account is about Rs 1.5 lakhs which he could have used better. Instead he had a daily schedule of Puja, cooking, and listening to carnatic music in a radio . You are right that many do live a very simple life.

hi sir,

when i visited chennai last october before deepavali....i hired a call taxi....the departure day to USA....very heavy rainy day...

everywhere traffic jam due to rain upto chennai airport...myself and young taxi driver talked while he was driving...we have

nice tea together in a tea shop near pallavaram.....we talked abt local politics/USA life etc....then i told that im a retired

army man and came chennai for army life certifivate etc....when i tipped extra money for him...he rejected and he likes

army men and saluted me.....then i said ...im not army man anymore..now im an NRI...finally i said..keep my tip for

deepavali festival and as a gift to his family......he cried.... even i cried for like this good taxi drivers.....he helped me to

reach chennai air port before time during heavy rain in the city.....

Sri tbs - Great story.

Actually it is heartening to note the average Indian regardless of economic status do have strong nationalistic feelings though they may not express it all the time in a consistent manner.

This video below illustrates what I am trying to convey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfwi5_1Ayw

This year I was actually in Delhi during the Republic day. Though I watched the parade only in TV with some friends it was still very moving.

1.I have held the belief that many in india are poor as they are honest and make their living with limited talents they posess

2. Most auto fellows in chennai if you strike a conversation with them would have an interesting story to tell about their exploits and dealings with policemen .

Some would discuss politics with you running down one of he dravidian parties and praising the other depending on their political affiliation.

3. most old men ,women outside temples in flower shops, selling fruits would be generous and open out if one is kind to them and give them a little more than

expected.

4. People in chennai are extra helpful. If you try to take an or taxi for short distances, they would dissuade you and instead tell you to take a bus or walk taking a short

cut thru byelanes.They would be strangers but they cannot help doing this.

5. In woodlands recently , an old lady from abroad told me to have food at music academy nearby during the music season instead of wasting money in woodlands.She said it

was more delicious and cheaper,

6. I was going around in chennai with a plastered leg due to a fracture,I had to explain to a lot of strangers, how I broke my leg.Some told me I should have gone to

puthur.Also told me going to some temple and putting a replica of leg in some metal will make it heal faster

7.. One stopped me on the road to tell me I resemble kerala CM.

8. When I talk in my brand of tamil mixed with hindi , most ask m if I am a marwari. Most imagine I am a money lender of sorts tight with money.so I do not get

overcharged.

9. It is impossible on walk on the beach with wet clothes with sand sticking on them . Most would stop you and encouragingly tell you that on drying sand will fall off.

People of chennai are very sociable and give you a lot of attention and take care for you

Sri krish44,

Indeed honesty and one's social status are not correlated.
Many treat us with kindness when we naturally see them as human beings worthy of respect.

Shri tks, maybe you would want to see the movie "naan kadavul" to understand the "begging" business and all that goes behind it. Probably your friends just want to make sure that they are not cheated or, are not abetting, albeit indirectly, the mafia.

I heard that in a certain temple in coimbatore that when a meal token is given to a beggar (physically challenged or otherwise), they exchange the coupon in the same hotel at a discount and pocket the money.

Sri auh,

Yes, some people told me about such a racket being rampant.

The movie 'slumdogs' it seems tried to portray Hindu mafia blinding a young muslim so he can beg and ear money singing Surdas bhajans.

I wonder why state and local government do not crack down on such groups since it causes so much misery. The beggars could be followed to lead to small fish who can lead to the kingpin mafia types. It is all in the open it seems.

Dear Sri Tks.,

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sri Brahmanyan,

Thanks for sharing the details of how wages have gone up.

Somehow I do not know if the purchasing power of ordinary people have gone up.

One thing I noticed in this visit is that many people who used to have a car do not have a car driver employed in a permanent basis. It seems when they need a driver and do not want to drive they call up a number to be sent a driver..

In Delhi I am always amazed at how well the Metro subway is run. It is still one of the cleanest compared to many subway operations in the world. Some lines have become so crowded that they resemble like old overcrowded DTC buses with no space to even stand for a person.

Despite such a crowd I am impressed that there is basic security checks done on every passenger at every station.

I also found it interesting that hotels have watchmen that check the car for car bombs (this was in Pune).

Continuing my observations ..

In the three short days at Chennai, my mother in law did pass away right after I saw her within few hours. She was in a palliative care place. Often death is viewed as time for sadness but I felt a sense of relief.

It is a great relief for her having been bed ridden for some years. It is a relief for all that were trying to take care of her (my wife and her brother). There was peace in her face finally.

I found that the crematorium (I think near T-Nagar) to be very effective. Within one hour literally the body was ashes delivered in a pot! I think many get "crematorium Vairagya" that last probably for a few days.

Compared to this experience, mine was somewhat worse some two decades ago (I lost my parents when I was younger compared to today's standards) . My father passed away in Bangalore while he was visiting someone. There were some hospital bungling and carelessness (Manipal Hospital) that contributed to his death. I had enough notice to come to be there for few days with him.

What I found interesting at that time in Bangalore is that there was an immediate need to reserve the place in a crematorium. I had to assert all my 'project management' skills to send a friend to secure a place and be there for many hours securing the spot. The roads leading to this place was very dirty and right after my father's body was put in the crematorium , it was unbelievable that the power went out. It did not come back for 2 hours and we had to leave to return the next morning.

Since I did not know many people at Bangalore then and few I knew had qualms about 'Theettu' etc it was an experience to get the 13 days of work done eventually in Chennai.

Compared to that experience the funeral place at T-Nagar was relatively cleaner and much more efficient.

It appears that the last rites have been compressed by local traditions to only conduct events on 9 through 13th days. I am not sure when these changes started to take place.

Interesting indeed how customs have evolved.

Sri Brahmanyan,

One thing I noticed in this visit is that many people who used to have a car do not have a car driver employed in a permanent basis. It seems when they need a driver and do not want to drive they call up a number to be sent a driver..

In Delhi I am always amazed at how well the Metro subway is run. It is still one of the cleanest compared to many subway operations in the world. Some lines have become so crowded that they resemble like old overcrowded DTC buses with no space to even stand for a person.

Despite such a crowd I am impressed that there is basic security checks done on every passenger at every station.

I also found it interesting that hotels have watchmen that check the car for car bombs (this was in Pune).
Though many have got cars , having a driver is luxury for most . Still people are middle class , they cannot afford full time drivers who cost at least 10k a month.In

delhi Most require cars only to be dropped to office and return and perhaps going out on weekends. Full time driver economics does not work out.It is either self drive

or driver on call for most.

Metro is a boon for delhi as bus travel is almost a trickle. But last mile travel from home to metro station is a huge hassle and more expensive than a metro ride.

Delhi is always under a terror threat as its people are considered VVIPS needing extra protection even against minor threat perception from a fringe group.Having

security to guard one is a status symbol. Most would like to have a red beacon car with security cars and sirens at the front and back.

Hotels have more watchmen than guests.lol

Continuing my observations ..

In the three short days at Chennai, my mother in law did pass away right after I saw her within few hours. She was in a palliative care place. Often death is viewed as time for sadness but I felt a sense of relief.

It is a great relief for her having been bed ridden for some years. It is a relief for all that were trying to take care of her (my wife and her brother). There was peace in her face finally.

I found that the crematorium (I think near T-Nagar) to be very effective. Within one hour literally the body was ashes delivered in a pot! I think many get "crematorium Vairagya" that last probably for a few days.

Compared to this experience, mine was somewhat worse some two decades ago (I lost my parents when I was younger compared to today's standards) . My father passed away in Bangalore while he was visiting someone. There were some hospital bungling and carelessness (Manipal Hospital) that contributed to his death. I had enough notice to come to be there for few days with him.

What I found interesting at that time in Bangalore is that there was an immediate need to reserve the place in a crematorium. I had to assert all my 'project management' skills to send a friend to secure a place and be there for many hours securing the spot. The roads leading to this place was very dirty and right after my father's body was put in the crematorium , it was unbelievable that the power went out. It did not come back for 2 hours and we had to leave to return the next morning.

Since I did not know many people at Bangalore then and few I knew had qualms about 'Theettu' etc it was an experience to get the 13 days of work done eventually in Chennai.

Compared to that experience the funeral place at T-Nagar was relatively cleaner and much more efficient.

It appears that the last rites have been compressed by local traditions to only conduct events on 9 through 13th days. I am not sure when these changes started to take place.

Interesting indeed how customs have evolved.
hi

i heard that Beasant nagar elecrtic crematorium very good in chennai...which is very close my chennai home...very afforadable

and vadhyar services also available...

Sri Brahmanyan,

hi

when i visited in delhi....my apartment is in east delhi...border to noida...we have metro station in front of our apartment

gate....just five minutes walkable from my home....very convenient...i never need a car/auto in delhi......for short distances

we use cycle rickshaw...delhi metro always over crowded....

Driving a car in Chennai traffic is highly irritating. All the roads of Chennai are busy with traffic at most of day time and during peak hours, it is terrible. And many of these roads are two lanes.

Here most of riders as well as drivers don’t follow traffic rules, they don’t maintain distance, will jump signals, ride on wrong lane, rash driving, etc

One can see bikes fitted with oversized side boxes and there are bikes carrying more than four pillion passengers and bikes carrying heavy load of hardware/furniture materials protruding on both sides which only mini heavy vehicles are permitted to carry.

And there are public transport drivers few of whom are earlier to joining service are Auto drivers, they love the drive these over crowded buses with ease like an auto overtaking even two wheelers!!

Not to speak about the Metro water 'Water Tanker Lorries' which are dangerous and accident prone.

Who wants to take the risk?

I admire at the drivers and their skill in driving the car in busy traffic.

In Chennai there are well established Organisations which provide services of drivers. Only thing is you will have to give them sufficient time. One can very well plan their programme in advance and just inform the reporting time, venue and
brand. SMS will be sent to the customer with Booking No and Mobile Number of the Driver. Accordingly an experienced driver will knock at your doors at the appointed time sharply in Uniform.

The charges are very nominal both for local and for outstation services.

It is really hassle free and nice experience every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Driving a car in Chennai traffic is highly irritating. All the roads of Chennai are busy with traffic at most of day time and during peak hours, it is terrible. And many of these roads are two lanes.

Here most of riders as well as drivers don’t follow traffic rules, they don’t maintain distance, will jump signals, ride on wrong lane, rash driving, etc

One can see bikes fitted with oversized side boxes and there are bikes carrying more than four pillion passengers and bikes carrying heavy load of hardware/furniture materials protruding on both sides which only mini heavy vehicles are permitted to carry.

And there are public transport drivers few of whom are earlier to joining service are Auto drivers, they love the drive these over crowded buses with ease like an auto overtaking even two wheelers!!

Not to speak about the Metro water 'Water Tanker Lorries' which are dangerous and accident prone.

Who wants to take the risk?

I admire at the drivers and their skill in driving the car in busy traffic.

In Chennai there are well established Organisations which provide services of drivers. Only thing is you will have to give them sufficient time. One can very well plan their programme in advance and just inform the reporting time, venue and
brand. SMS will be sent to the customer with Booking No and Mobile Number of the Driver. Accordingly an experienced driver will knock at your doors at the appointed time sharply in Uniform.

The charges are very nominal both for local and for outstation services.

It is really hassle free and nice experience every time.

Sri Balasubramani,

Your remarks resonate well with my limited experience.

In many places - be it Chennai or New Delhi or Mumbai or Pune or Kanpur - a pedestrian cannot be sure they can cross the streets safely in many parts of the town.

Many people on the road somehow just walk across without worry and having full faith that the auto or car or the bike fellow will do the right thing and not hit them.

During ride to this T-Nagar crematorium in one of the cars I was in, the host of the car was talking in general about how one never knows where Yaman is and how easily a person can pass away in a moment.

All I could think was, Yaman is riding on that water truck going at a reckless speed.

Delhi traffic is worse. One of my friends decided to drive with me to some place instead of relying on his driver. I could see that he was unsuited to drive since his blood pressure rising at each roadside behaviors of others. He could not stand the lawlessness! I told him never to drive again and just rely on his driver who has a cool mind to deal with the fellow drivers on the road.

In that trip, I also got re-educated about how profanities are uttered at others in the road. My deep rooted conviction now is that Punjabi language is by far best suited for delivering profanities in a sing-song style :)

Auto Rickshaw Drivers fall into two catagories, good and bad. Most of them are hard working and good people. In our cities, to drive in the heavy traffic on the bad roads through indisciplined crowd is a difficult job. It would sap anyone's energy and lose temper easily.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sir,

In my experience, the auto rickshaw drivers fall into two categories, Owner-driver, and appointed-driver. The appointed-driver has to pay a prescribed amount to the owner on daily basis, irrespective of whether he earned or what he earned during the day. As it is a fluctuating business, it is very likely that on some days he has to cough up from his meagre earnings when his earnings are insufficient to pay off the owner and he ensures that he earns good by over-charging when he can. The owner-driver on the other hand can afford to be generous and truthful as he need not have to dip into his almost non-existing savings.

Indeed they do , in fact the money I ended up cashing from the Post Office account is about Rs 1.5 lakhs which he could have used better. Instead he had a daily schedule of Puja, cooking, and listening to carnatic music in a radio . You are right that many do live a very simple life.

And we had a noise brigade not too long ago in this forum, always insisting that brahmins are arrogant with superior attitude (almost without exception), their simple living is merely a "cover" and they alienated themselves from the locals with their "attitude".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back