• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sambar Saadham... [ TVK ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk4646

1923874_187030151653670_8879964253489980671_n.jpg

sambar-sadam_thumb4.jpg

When I posted keerai poriyal recipe, the background item ‘sambar sadam’ was catchy to some of you. Special effort from Sharmi to post this recipe for sambar sadam,as she always asked me to post it soon and if I ever not post this now,she would squeeze my neck
66.gif
.I do nothing special,I almost make similar to arachuvitta sambar and mix it with cooked rice and dal,that's it..

DSC_2563_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg

[h=1]Sambar Sadam recipe[/h]
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 3​

[h=3]Ingredients[/h] Rice - 1/2 cup

Toor dal - 1/3 cup

Tamarind - marble size

Mixed veggies or vegetable of your choice - As needed

Shallots/small onion,peeled - 1/2 cup

Green chillies - 2-3

Tomato - 1

Sambar powder(ready made) - 1/2 tsp

Turmeric - 1/8 tsp

Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp

Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Coriander leaves,chopped - 2 tblsp

Jaggery - 1/2 tsp

[h=3]To roast and grind to coarse powder[/h] Red chillies,long variety - 4

Channa dal - 1 tblsp

Coriander seeds - 1 & 1/2 tsp

Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp

Coconut - 2 tblsp

[h=3]To temper:[/h] Oil/ghee - 1 tblsp

Mustard - 3/4 tsp

Jeera - 1 tsp

Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp

[h=3]Method:[/h]
  1. Cook rice and dal,extract tamarind juice and keep aside. I cook rice and dal separately as I do not like rice get mashed too much(which will happen if we cook together rice and dal). So If you want you can cook both together too.
    DSC_2513_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  2. Heat kadai and roast to golden brown,the ingredients under ‘To roast and grind table’ with a tsp of ghee/oil except coconut. Roast coconut separately.
    DSC_2507_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  3. Cool down and grind to coarse powder and keep a side.
    DSC_25081_thumb.jpg
  4. Heat kadai and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table. Add curry leaves followed by onion,slit green chillies and fry till the onions start to turn golden.
    DSC_2497_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  5. Add the tomatoes and fry till soft.
    DSC_2498_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  6. Add the tamarind extract,bring to boil. Add the turmeric,sambar powder,asafoetida and the chopped veggies.
    DSC_2499_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  7. When the vegetables get cooked,add jaggery,the ground sambar powder and bring to boil.
    DSC_2506_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  8. Add the sambar powder gradually while stirring,as there are chances of forming lumps.
    DSC_2511_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  9. Add this to the cooked rice.I used a pot shaped pressure cooker for making sambar rice. Add the mashed dal and mix well with out mashing the veggies. Add hot water if its too thick. I just mix under low flame for 2 minutes.
    DSC_2514_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
  10. Let the sambar rice be in a loose consistency. After cooled down, it tends to get thick,so let the consistency be according to that.Top with 2 tsp ghee and coriander leaves.
    DSC_25151_thumb.jpg
[h=3]Notes:[/h]
  • I added 1/2 of a drumstick,1 brinjal,1/2 carrot and 1/2 potato. You can add your choice of veggies.. I like potato the best…
  • While adding the veggies,add the veggie which takes longer time to cook first,follwed by the other veggies depending on their cooking time.
  • I usually cut the veggies in to small pieces to ensure easy cooking(except drumstick and brinjal in this case)
  • I have used both the sambar powder,you can use only one too,adjust the quantity accordingly.

Serve hot with simply potato chips(best combo) or any other veggie accompaniment.

DSC_2535%20copy_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

http://www.rakskitchen.net/2011/03/sambar-sadamsambar-rice.html

# post 1...We had a land lady in Chennai who always use to enter our kitchen & ask what have we prepared..When my mom says Sambar..She will say that she prepared rice only and would like to taste our sambar...She will get a cup and pour the sambar from the container in our kitchen and rush to prepare the sambar rice..She would come definitely the next day & used to say that sambar sadam was "Romba nanna irundathu"...

I had a Bengali neighbour in Vizag. She used to take my sAmbAr in a cup and drink it like rasam!! :D

In north the locals take dosas or idlis only for sambhar pronounced as samber by them.

Lazy tamil house wives collect this sambhar as it saves them both time and effort in winter.

The tamil catering shops make sambar in huge vessels which are generously doled out with dosas and idlis.

Many take them home in plastic bags to serve as soup with north indian food.

Though Sambar Sadham initiates watered mouth , immediately when remembered, its ironical it's used to call people who are Ammangis.

Murali sharma , CBE

She might have indirectly indicated the rasam is watery.
Chandruji, You have been on this site long enough to know what is a sacred.

You do not insult Rajiji.

Secondly you do not criticize a TB lady's cooking unless you want to be on banned list.:crazy:

Dear Prasad Sir,

This thread is in jokes and humour forum. So I take the comments in a lighter vein ONLY! :D

Anyway, if a next get together happens in my sweet home, one of the items in the menu will be sambAr sAdham! :thumb:

And.......... we had a Tamil actor who was fondly called as 'SambAr'!! :cool:

BTW, brahmins are teased as 'thayir sAdham'! :(

P.S: One of my cousins used to ask for my thayir sAdham because I add dried grapes in the place of green grapes

and it gives a special taste! :thumb:

Dear Prasad Sir,

This thread is in jokes and humour forum. So I take the comments in a lighter vein ONLY! :D

Anyway, if a next get together happens in my sweet home, one of the items in the menu will be sambAr sAdham! :thumb:

Waiting for that 'D' day.. [ Where is AM sir..?? Not seen him in this site for long time...!! ]

TVK

Dear TVK Sir,

I faintly remember that the first tiny meet at my sweet home with your family, Dr. C. N. and VR ji, had sambAr sAdham in the menu!! :)

A M Sir calls himself a visiting turtle and hence visits only once in a while!

How 'rasam' saved the day and the bride

It all started on Saturday evening after Raju created a hue and cry over the fact that the rasam and sambar were not good

Rasam’ saves bride from entering probable bad marriage

A Bengaluru-based tea merchant cancelled his wedding scheduled for January 31 at Tumakuru for the most bizarre reason. The groom was unhappy as the bride's family failed to provide good 'rasam' for the reception.

Raju T, a resident of Swatantrapalya in west Bengaluru was engaged to Sowmya, a resident of Kunigal in Tumakuru.

It all started on Saturday evening after Raju created a hue and cry over the fact that the rasam and even the sambar served at the reception prior to the wedding was not good, and the fight intensified to the extent that police had to intervene.

See more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/how-rasam-saved-day-and-bride-38396#sthash.QMHp0FeE.dpuf

Good idea!
icon3.png

The bride who loves another guy can bribe the caterer to provide horrible food so as to start a sambandhi sandai! :fencing:!

Then she can get married to that guy of her liking, who would have been set up to watch the fun! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back