Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

how big is maoist threat

0 Not allowed!
    i think it was about a year or so ago, the new york times had a lead article on the maoist influence and armed struggle in rural india.

at that time orissa, jharkand were considered to be effectively controlled by the maoists, who may claim to be descended from the naxalites of yore.

today it is west bengal, which is in flames. that too, a state ruled by country cousins of mao. western maharashtra apparently is also under the mao sway. so is orissa.

telengana was always ready for radical transformation.

southern tamil nadu, azhagiri not withstanding, appears to be a gaining ground.

where will this end? what is the long term consequences?

these folks, the only place they have not yet made their presence felt, is in the cities.

there is no name. no organization. i have seen a couple of videos shown in cnn here. all very shadowy and tribal oriented.

manmohan singh, has finally admitted to this threat. MK admitted a few months ago.

i don't think there is any need for root cause analysis. we have enough inequalities inherent in the system, to drive any group to armed anger.

but the ringer here, it appears to me, whereas those previous groups, atleast somewhat followed the rules of popular democratic election process. when all that stares at you here is the barrel of the gun, and no willingness to either wield or share power, where do we go from here?

and how?
    Last edited by kunjuppu; 13-10-2009 at 04:07 AM.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    i don't think there is any need for root cause analysis. we have enough inequalities inherent in the system, to drive any group to armed anger.

Main cause of the problem is failure of land ceiling laws. Most of the states have not implemented land ceiling laws effectively. National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme is suppose to guarantee 100 days of work p.a @ Rs.80 per day - but corruption is rampant and beneficiries are cheated. Again ration foods are not distributed properly with rampant corruption. Caste discrimination- daliths vs others in rural areas. Daliths are the main strength of maoists.

Tamilnadu is fairly insulated from the problem except stray incidents in Krishnagiri & Dharmapuri districts because of its closeness to Andhra & Karnataka. kerala also fairly insulated except wyanad districts.

It is a real threat to the internal security of the country and unless Government eliminates the root causes, it cannot be solved. Using force is not the answer to the problems.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    is there a pattern b/w india and nepal in this?

the maoists in nepal too are made up of (predominantly) the dalits.

its rumoured that the nepal maoists are/were 'engineered' by china.

is there some connect b/w the indian maoists and china?

the root cause of everything in india is just one simple word - corruption.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhindu View Post
    is there a pattern b/w india and nepal in this?

the maoists in nepal too are made up of (predominantly) the dalits.

its rumoured that the nepal maoists are/were 'engineered' by china.

is there some connect b/w the indian maoists and china?

the root cause of everything in india is just one simple word - corruption.

You are correct - Maoists are mostly daliths.

Naxalite belt starts from Karnataka, passes through Andhra, Orissa,Jharkand, West Bengal, Assam to Nepal. Government of India has alread expressed that there is connection between Indian and Nepali Maoists.

Root cause analylsis which I did in my previous posting has to be addressed and they should be brought to the national mainstream politics. Otherwise, it is a great danger for the entire nation

All the best
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Hope the Maoists don't become to India what the Taliban has become to Pakistan. The only comfort I get is our armed forces are not involved in developing the Maoists unlike the Pakistani armed forces and the ISI involvement in developing the Taliban. They could be from the dalits but they have become ruthless. There should be a mixture of dialogue and firmness in dealing with them. Hope our corrupt politicians don't play into their hands because they are sure to get bitten just like the Pakistani army now battling against the Taliban they once nurtured.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Naxalites are operating only in few pockets . Andhra, for example, has a peculiar problem. Both Kammas and Reddis are very rich, politically very powerful and practically imposed their own dictats in the villages for generations. Daliths were the worst sufferers and now they have woken up. Land ceiling was not implemented properly. Still each village is controlled by one or two big landlords and the rest are daily labourers.

Now if a big function like marriage is conducted in a remote village in the big landlords family, Naxalites demand money (May be one or two lakhs) and the same is paid to avoid problems. Law and order in Andhra is horrible nowadays.

State governments are responsible for the mess and they should change their functioning.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Venkataramani View Post

Main cause of the problem is failure of land ceiling laws. Most of the states have not implemented land ceiling laws effectively. ...
    It is true that poverty is the bottom cause for increase in militant cadres. Usually laws are made by rich and powerful men. It is normal in most of the democracies. However, the difference in India is that those who make laws seems to consider themselves as exceptions. It was reported in a newspaper two days ago that all over the world India has earned the name as a country of corrupt politicians and officials. It is this corruption that denies the weaker sections of the society their legitimate rights and resources.
    However, this is not the only cause for increase in militant cadres. The entertainment media like cinemas and TVs are now very violent scenes. Lot of blood is shown on the screen in close-up. In cinemas people fight with weapons, iron bars and things like that beating till blood gushes out. Even some commercials show extremely violent scenes. We all know that these are done using modern technology and the actors do not hit each other.
    But in an uneducated, poor young mind, the impact of this is very strong. They go for adventure (but it is really misadventure).
    Therefore the State should first take action to eradicate violence from public entertainment media. Then use the TV to improve the knowledge of rural population.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    uk,

there are extensive articles all over the world re indian maoists.

from what i gather, these are basically tribal and lower caste folks, who were deprived of their land through dubious dealings.

they are now reclaiming their land, land which was guaranteed to them by nehru's government at the onset of indian independence.

this below, is an article that came out in toronto's globe and mail a few days ago..

A trip into rebel-held territory - The Globe and Mail
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjuppu View Post
    uk,

there are extensive articles all over the world re indian maoists.

A trip into rebel-held territory - The Globe and Mail
    In another topic of this forum I have said I will keep quiet and be a silent watcher.
    As you have address me in your post, I write this and I quote a para from the article that substantiates what I wrote in my post.
    Mr. Taring says people in his village asked the regional administration to protect their fields and forest resources, but no one would even meet with them. This came as no surprise, he adds, since they need to pay a bribe even to collect a pension.
    Unquote
    [bold by me]
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast