• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Planning Upanayanam for my son at Kanchi Mutt or Shrinkeri Mutt - Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ALL,

I currently reside in Austin, TX and would like to conduct Upanayanam for my son in Summer this year - in July or August.
My Son turns 11 next month, Feb 2016.

Iam very much interested to conduct the upanayanam function at one of mutt's - either Kanchi Mutt or Shrinkeri Mutt with Swamigal blessings.

Please let me know if you know if Mutt's allows upanayanam to be conducted at its premises and how to approach this.

Appreciate any information you can provide for this matter.

Thanks
Vinod Ganesan

Dear vinod,

This is a open- heart post and first itself I apologize for any hurting on the below thoughts.

My opinion:

1. It is advisable to follow your own mutt either sringeri or kanchi or others. Don’t change the mutt as per our convinience. We don’t have that right because we are from the shisya lineage of particular mutt for generations together. There were many instances in the past where both the acharyas upheld following one's own mutt.
2. From 16-July to 16 -Aug is the Tamil month of AADI , It is practice that we will not have any family functions during that time.
3. you have not mentioned whether your entire family is migrated to Austin and where the son is born. In case if the son is born outside India , there are dharma sastra restrictions related to upanayanam. So please consult vedic experts. (Stressing this point because of your wish to conduct the function in the mutt)
4. If your son will be travelling back to Austin, Plan to stay one Paksha(15 days) as minimum In india after the upanayana and have your son do the sandhyavanthana 3 times a day and gayathri japams in full count( since it is vacation time I think this can be accomodated) so that the purpose can be accomplised a bit. This is because whatever Karmas we do outside india is fruitless.
5. On reaching India for this occasion, Please perform the prayaschitta's for being in abroad which makes you fit to do the brahma upadesam.

Please connect with the mutts over e-mail or telephone which can found on their respective websites.

I am happy to help in case if you need any assistance.

Thanks,

Arun M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back