• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tolstoys Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janaki Jambunathan

The story, as I know it, ends there — but I can’t imagine Tolstoy’s aunt ate Tolstoy’s chicken. She must have been rather exasperated, and Tolstoy was indeed a bit of a spiritual crackpot towards the end of his life. But the story of the chicken resonates with me. It demonstrates our denial when it comes to food. In our mind, there is a screen between the meat that we eat and the animals that are killed for that meat. We taste the flavour and enjoy the texture, but we behave as if the butchery never happened. We pretend that the chicken on the plate and the chicken on the chair are different creatures. But of course they are not. Tolstoy’s flapping, squawking chicken is Varma’s Chicken a la Kiev — and so, many years ago, I gave up meat.

The guilt and dissonance I still occasionally feel may soon be moot, though. Some fine scientists, much to be praised for their noble endeavours to better humankind, have recently found a way to grow meat in the laboratory, without a sentient creature being involved. Within a couple of decades, I predict, you will be able to eat a medium-rare steak that is, in every way, the same as any you would get today, except for the fact that no animal would be harmed in its
making. The organ it will come from would have been manufactured a la carte, and would never have been part of a living creature.

Interesting - What will happen to Hallal & Bismilla then!

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjdwPPVpZ7KAhVFj44KHWCnBjUQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehindubusinessline.com%2Fblink%2Ftalk%2Ftolstoys-chicken-and-the-expanding-circle%2Farticle8077778.ece&usg=AFQjCNFrs7R5R_Rib0RHqXez0dMoz8LzWg&sig2=fT6c1rnl0DxDdzuJJq4kgg

very interesting article.

liked the last line about animals going extinct in case we do not either consume them or the animal products they provide

humans.

being extremely logical can lead to such conclusions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back