• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

கொங்கனார் தம் தருக்கு(konkanaar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
கொங்கனார் தம் தருக்கு(konkanaar)

Many of the tales in Bogar 7000 are classic folk tales. Perhaps the best example of this is the story of Konganavar. He was a very pious and religious man who did great penance and meditation, and so acquired great powers at a young age. One day, while he was meditating, a crane was sitting on a branch abover his head and its droppings fell on his lap. Enraged at being disturbed in his prayers, he looked at the bird, which was immediately started to burn, at his very look.
It was customary for Konkanavar to beg for food only at night. If he failed to get food at the first house he tried, he simply fasted till the next night. But such a thing happened very rarely, as housewives were very eager to feed the holy man. On the day that he burnt the crane, he decided to visit the house of the poet Thiruvalluvar. The poets wife Vasuki was serving her husband when the Sage arrived. On hearing Konganavar call for alms, she called out to him to wait until she had served her husband. Konganavar was annoyed at the delay. He thought to himself, “If only the poor lady knew that I am a great saint and have the power to burn a bird by merely looking at it, she would not keep me waiting”. When Vasuki finally came out, Vasuki said, “Oh Konganavar, do not think I am a like the bird you burnt today”. Konganavar was terribly upset for he knew that the incident had occurred deep in the forest and no one had witnessed the event. Yet Vasuki knew about it. He bowed humbly before her and asked her how she could know things, that she had not really seen or heard. She said “Go to the house of the butcher, who lives down the road, and he will enlighten you”. The sage immediately did so. The butcher was bathing his old and blind parents and hence could not give the saint his immediate attention. But this time Konganavar`s curiousity was so great that he did not get annoyed to wait.
After serving his parents the butcher brought food for the saint and said, “Oh holy man, please eat my humble food and I shall tell you why the wife of the poet asked you to see me”.
[FONT=&quot]Normally, Konganavar would not have had any dealings with the butcher who is considered to be of a low birth and unclean. At this present situation he was willing to do anything to get at the truth behind the extraordinary powers of an ordinary housewife and a butcher. After having a sumptuous dinner, Konganavar asked him, “Please tell me the secret of the extraordinary powers that you and the poet`s wife have”. The man replied, “We have no extraordinary powers. We say what we feel, and we feel for others as much as we feel for ourselves. We carry out our duties to the best of our abilities. There is nothing more than that”. On hearing this Konganavar bowed down low in reverence to the butcher and said, “Teacher, you have enlightened me, I shall always be grateful to you”. So saying he left the house, as a more humble person and went about healing and helping people[/FONT]

If I remember correct, the same story appears in Mahabharatham also except the names of Thiruvalluvar and VAsuki. The butcher there is called Dharmavyadha.

Am I the crane, you think?

Excellent story quoted by AKURA JI. VIKRAMAJI is also right. This piece is in Mahabharatham also. 'Kokku enru ninaiththayo konganava?'. This story is excellently captioned and narrated by Rajaji in the book, which is the Tamil version of Vyasar's bharatham in Sanskrit.

This kind of sharing of information I value most. Kindly keep it up.

Yes. The konakanava story is related to dharmavyadha only. I dont know it with valluvar-vasuki. I heard vasuki's chastity with many other stories such that she stopped the rope with hanging bucket in a well and all. Made to rain once (from that only, he wrote" Pei ena peium mazhai"). But this story is a piece of bharatha. Anyhow, a nice story everyone should read and follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back