• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Palanquin Bearers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar practice was followed by Kanchi Seers. As there was a serious objection in the 1960, this practice was stopped.

Carrying a human being by fellow human beings is not a good practice. This needs critical review and a firm decision.

it is believed that Perumal himself ordered his disciples to give Brahma Rath honour to the Battar for reciting Kausika Mmahatmiyam! It is followed in Kancheepuram Vardaraja Perumal temple also I understand!
Ref. Reports of Harish.Mohan ofTOI dated 20 Nov. 2015

What about normal rickshaws and cycle rickshaws where humans physically pull ,pedal other humans in rickshaws

When Urchavamurthi are taken in procession in chariots , many priests aklso climb on it and chariot is pulled by devotees.

Are these not open to condemnation.?

Aristocratic ladies from noble families used to travel by palanquins carried by humans on their shoulders decades back.

I do not know whether practice continues in rural areas in remote places .

There are Dolis to- carry the old for darshan in temples on hill which are done by humans.

There is no end to examples of physical exploitation of humans.One of course can try to minimise it.

In fact I was carried in a strtcher 2 years back when had a fall while drawing morning Kolam I used Doli to move around Ajanth Caves These are not honours ulike the Brahma Rath for the priests ordined by Perumal! May be exploitation of uderpivilaged for a few Rupees! May be if Rope car was available I would have opted for that!

You know when I had a plastered one leg almost upto hip after an accident, I went around the country by air. I got happily pushed around in wheelchairs in airport And put

into seat in planes. It may sound perverse. I did enjoy the experience. The kind of crowds which jostle in airport for checking in. nothing like going in wheel chairs and

boarding comfortably. With plastered leg ,if one happens to go to temples , most think you are there to pray for recovery from accident. I had gone there as it was one

of the places with a lot of open spaces without stairs where one could freely walk around . Only fear was I should not be mistaken for a beggar.

I think if it is a temple festival where there is a tradition behind it let us not tamper with it in the name of modernity or equality or freedom..The reasoning is quite clear in post no 4

What about normal rickshaws and cycle rickshaws where humans physically pull ,pedal other humans in rickshaws

When Urchavamurthi are taken in procession in chariots , many priests aklso climb on it and chariot is pulled by devotees.

In TN, during 1970s, 'jutkas' (pulled by humans) were withdrawn and mechanized rickshaws introduced.

This was pointed out in a newspaper being published by a rationalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back