• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Ramanujacharya - Glimpses of his life and times

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article on Sri Ramanuja has been contributed by our member Shri. Vengrai Parthasarathy (profile).

A few words from him
"I am annexing my article based on different books and internet sources. However the presentation is mine only in my language. "

To adapt Thomas Carlyle famous dictum, Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) can be termed as a chronicle of the biographies of India’s great religious teachers/Acharyas.

The triumvirate of the most eminent Acharyas, Adhi Sankara, Râmânuja, and Madhva synthesized and formulated the Advaita, Vishishtàdvaita, and Dvaita philosophy, as Non-dualism, Qualified non-dualism, and Dualism respectively. Key source texts for the three, main Hindu philosophical schools of Vedanta are referred to as the Prasthanathrayi--canonical texts of the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gità, and the Brahmasutras –they are thought of as the link between the individual and cosmic soul, and as conduits to Lord’s grace.

Sri Sankaracharya (788-820) was the foremost Acharya, the first torch-bearer of Hinduism, to put forward a cogent and clear analysis and interpretation of the Vedantha texts. He enunciated the Advaita philosophy of Absolute Oneness, defined as non-dualism or monism. Everything in this universe is but a manifestation of the Supreme One., Advaita has been defined as signifying the only One absolute reality called Brahman, who is supreme, infinite and omnipresent. Brahman alone is real and non-dual in nature. Advaita signifies the negative of two, i.e., 'non- two'.

Sri Râmânujacharya (1017-1137) came three centuries after Sankaracharya... He formulated and gave shape and content to the Visishtadavaita school of Vedānta (Qualified Non-dualism/Monism). Sri Nathamuni, Sri Yamunacharya and Sri Râmânujar were the three oracles or mentors of Vaishnavism, Nathamuni being the eminence gris.. He had obtained the secret knowledge from Nammalvar who bequeathed it to his grandson Yamunacharya, known as Alavandar also.

No changes to the article has been made other than to convert the word doc to pdf. It has been published as provided.

Click here to download

Attachments

• Sri_Ramanuja_Acharya.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
What a great personality is Sri Ramanujar, religious, broad minded, outright honest, steadfast in his convictions, and a majestic preceptor who had set an example by practicing what he preached.
Beautifully written article !
All aspects of Sri Ramanujar's ideals, teachings, and works , his expertise in the knowledge of the Vedas and his reverence for his guru have been well explained.

Vasant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back