• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

3 Titles worth investing/reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

One is "Blink" - By Malcom Gladwell.

This book talks about the benefits of "instant conclusions" & how one can develop it. The tagline for the book is "How to think without thinking"....I am yet to read it completely but the start is pretty fascinating..

Also it challenges our fundamental belief that "more time means better quality of decision"...Not quite so, argues MG.

Second title i would like to recommend is "Inspite of the Gods" by Edward Luce who tries to trace the rise of Modern India thru this work. Edward is a reporter for the Financial Times based out of India for the last 5 years. Married to an Indian. Here again i am thru with the introduction part & the sense i am getting from this is that the book tries to 'demystify India' and tries to point the opportunities lost by the country. For too long, India (or rather indians ?) have taken umbrage under the 'spiritual & cultural leadership' of India & let many opportunities slip. While acknowledging the importance of 'spirituality & need for culture' the book tries to make a case for co-existence of economic development along with it. I feel this is a dispassionate way of looking at India neither glorifying it nor degrading it....That's what i feel at this point in time....probably i will re-phrase it should it be required after completing it.

The third title is "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. Don't know much about this except that this is by an Australian convict who "escapes & reaches" India under a forged passport & his trials & tribulations as he weaves himself into the Indian system. The reason i though i will recommend is a comment by my CFO when we were discussing some books. He said of Shantaram - "my heart swelled in pride when i read in the book that the best place to stay in the world is the Dharavi slum in Mumbai". Interesting !!!. Hope to get my copy soon. A Statutory warning : Book is about 1000 pages but my CFO said again that he just 'breezed' thru it everytime he picked it up.

Blink is an amazing book :)

I had an oppurtunity to read it last yr and it was a very nice one.

Pity i had to give the book away to someone else :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back