• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Before Deepavali what was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Deepavali is a "recent" festival..that is only after the advent of the Avatars of Lord Vishnu.

The North celebrates it becos of Lord Rama going back to Ayodhya and the South celebrates is becos of Krishna/Sathyabama Vs Narakasura ordeal.

Whatever the reason Deepavali is a Vaishnava celebration.

So what was the major celebration in India for all Hindu prior to Rama or Krishna?

Any idea?

BTW what about hardcore Shaivites? How do they view Deepavali?

Isn't there a Shaiva equivalent to a Deepavali?

Dear Renu,

I am reminded of this imaginary conversation:

Ramu: How did Lord Rama celebrated His 'thalai Diwali'?

Somu: Oh, that?? :blah:

Ramu after patient listening: Hey! How is 'thalai Diwali' for Lord Rama possible?! :lol:

Deepavali is a "recent" festival..that is only after the advent of the Avatars of Lord Vishnu.

The North celebrates it becos of Lord Rama going back to Ayodhya and the South celebrates is becos of Krishna/Sathyabama Vs Narakasura ordeal.

So what was the major celebration in India for all Hindu prior to Rama or Krishna?

Any idea?

All Shaivites celebrate Deepavali as they are having a lot of affinity to Lord Vishnu who often take avatar of lady.

Madam, Please enjoy the festival. All festivals are invented by man for his own pleasure. Pompous celebrations are all associated with Vaishnavites.

First, it is not a Vaishnavite festival, as far as Hinduism is concerned. Kripandha Variar once said how can one celebrate a festival for a demon, who was killed.

Deepavali means Deepa + Avali = Deepa Varisai. Lord Shiva's presence is said to be in Pancha Boothas, of which one is light. Hence, it is equally a Shaivite festival, if it is properly understood.

Even some NBs Hindus are not celebrating it, let alone rationalists.

Deepavali is also celebrated by Buddhists and Jains.

In all probability, like so many things, this festival might have been copied from Jainism, with modifications, and mythological stories.

Any idea?

Assuming Rama and Krishna are avatars of a Vaishnavite God, Deepavali is not celebrated throughout involving either one of the two avatars; instead in North it is Rama and Krishna in the South. It clearly shows this festival might have been popular either in Buddhism or Jainism and adopted in Hinduism with a story; just like the dietary restrictions being followed in some sections of Hindus - avoiding onion, garlic etc.

Regarding South, it is not an important festival in Kerala and Andhra Pradesh - Kerala Onam and AP Ganesh Chathurthi and Maha Shivarathri. As far as TN and KN are concerned, it is not celebrated on the same day.

Irrespective of any religious significance, the celebrations caught up with all. More pompous more encompassing. New dresses, Sweets and bright lights attracted. Every festival attracts that way only more or less. They act like a ventilator to the brain! Jains and Budhists do not celebrate this way except in odd sections.

Yesterday I read a news item . Osmania and kakatiya univ students mourned the death of Naraka, They claim He was a dravidian king whose kingdom spanned over a

large part of telengana. He was a scholar and was greatly regarded by adivasis there and he is worshipped in some temples in that state....

Even mahabali is held in great respect in kerala where he is considered to visit every year to visit his subjects'

Assuming Rama and Krishna are avatars of a Vaishnavite God, Deepavali is not celebrated throughout involving either one of the two avatars; instead in North it is Rama and Krishna in the South. It clearly shows this festival might have been popular either in Buddhism or Jainism and adopted in Hinduism with a story; just like the dietary restrictions being followed in some sections of Hindus - avoiding onion, garlic etc..
No, it does not clearly show. It might be one of many possibilities. That's all.

Hi Renuka JI,

In historical context, all celebrations have precedence. So before deepavali, there would have been a similar festival celebrating the win of Good over Evil. You have look at the tribal rituals to see a logical sequence. The son always wants to do better than the father & in time, his father’s legend is replaced by the Son & so on…

Cheers

Hi Renuka JI,

In historical context, all celebrations have precedence. So before deepavali, there would have been a similar festival celebrating the win of Good over Evil. You have look at the tribal rituals to see a logical sequence. The son always wants to do better than the father & in time, his father’s legend is replaced by the Son & so on…

Cheers

Is that all?

I thought you would give some details that Deepavali had Mesopotamian origin than later you discovered Mesopotamia was actually in Tamil Nadu and Krishna celebrated Christmas etc.

What happened to you stories?LOL

Is that all?

I thought you would give some details that Deepavali had Mesopotamian origin than later you discovered Mesopotamia was actually in Tamil Nadu and Krishna celebrated Christmas etc.

Actually deepavali had malaysian origin.

Thats why our PM is there to educate malaysians on our origin even prefacing his talk by speaking in tamil

dear Krish ji,

Modi was very happy to meet Malaysian Indians out here.

He even announced a US $1 Million scholarship for Malaysian students to pursue their studies in India.

He said that he knows that many Msian Indians go to India to study to become doctors and now with the scholarship offered he wants more to take this opportunity.

Then he said that Msian Indians hold a very special place in his heart.

He seemed very very pleased and happy to meet Msian Indians.

BTW the crowd went crazy hearing him speak some Tamil..chants of Modi Modi Modi were heard.

Last edited:
Is that all?

Doc, After the last shocker you got from the Jesus is Krishna post, I have decided to give you a long cooling off period !! LOL

Once you are back to normal, let me know, I will tell you exactly what is in the "secret chamber" of the thiruvananthapuram temple :) LOL !!

Doc, After the last shocker you got from the Jesus is Krishna post, I have decided to give you a long cooling off period !! LOL

Once you are back to normal, let me know, I will tell you exactly what is in the "secret chamber" of the thiruvananthapuram temple :) LOL !!

Dear JK,

I am ever ready to hear your "findings"....it very entertaining.

So go one..tell me all about the secret chamber..is it guarded by an ancient mummies curse? or Lara croft's father or Indiana Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back