• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meaning of Tharpayami in Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know the exact meaning of Tharpayami in Tamil. While we do Sandyavandanam, we say Adithyan Tharpayami and pour water from Uddarani. Likewise we do this for navagraha devathas and for various gods.
In every Amavasai tharpanams also.we say several times Tharpayami. I have searched for the meaning in Tamil. I could not get it. Can any one clarify ? In younger days,We were doing Sandyavandanams mechanically. WE never used to ask. I am 64 years old. I slowly understanding meaning in Tamil for each and every Sanskrit words. I want to recite slokas knowing the meaning in Tamil. Then we can understand the essence of slokas. Giri trading have given tamil translations for Subrmanya bhujangam. Likewise all slokas should be translated in Tamil for better understanding of slokas.
Even all mandirams in Sanskrit should have tamil meaning. We must know what we are doing.

I would like to know the exact meaning of Tharpayami in Tamil. While we do Sandyavandanam, we say Adithyan Tharpayami and pour water from Uddarani. Likewise we do this for navagraha devathas and for various gods.
In every Amavasai tharpanams also.we say several times Tharpayami. I have searched for the meaning in Tamil. I could not get it. Can any one clarify ? In younger days,We were doing Sandyavandanams mechanically. WE never used to ask. I am 64 years old. I slowly understanding meaning in Tamil for each and every Sanskrit words. I want to recite slokas knowing the meaning in Tamil. Then we can understand the essence of slokas. Giri trading have given tamil translations for Subrmanya bhujangam. Likewise all slokas should be translated in Tamil for better understanding of slokas.
Even all mandirams in Sanskrit should have tamil meaning. We must know what we are doing.

Sir,

AFAIK, the word தர்ப்பயாமி (tarppayāmi) means I satisfy (நான் திருப்திப் படுத்துகிறேன்). The root is திருப் (तृप् -tṛp in Sanskrit, from which our திருப்தி has also emerged.

MI denotes First Person predicate.. Action.. Adityam Tharpayami means I offer this to Lord Aditya...

Not exactly, Sir. Adityam Tarpayaami will mean "I (hereby) satisfy Aditya" and there is no reference to 'offering'. It is a one way conclusion that the performer has (somehow) satisfied Aditya and he speaks it aloud.

Sangom sir, I am afraid you have left it, half way. The question is how you satisfy, pouring down water as a symbolic gesture of satisfying. तेरा तुझको अर्पण ......

Sangom sir, I am afraid you have left it, half way. The question is how you satisfy, pouring down water as a symbolic gesture of satisfying. तेरा तुझको अर्पण ......

Dear Shri Iyya Sir,

I don't actually get what you intend, But the sentence "Adityam tarpayaami" just means, literally, "I satisfy Aditya". How it is being done is in the procedure, viz., black sesamum & water being offered, etc.

The concept of तेरा तुझको अर्पण .....etc., perhaps refers to the homa mantras like इन्द्राय स्वाहा, इन्द्राय इदम् न मम (indrāya svāhā, indrāya idam na mama). Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Sangom Sir: Even argyam. Water is also his.

Shri Iyya Sir,

Why only water, even our hands, our body, mind and intellect are 'his' once we postulate a god who owns all these things.
Once we start seeing that everything is his, then there is no purpose in doing tarpanam or arghyam, or any religious rights for that matter, is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back