• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Not a joke: Supreme Court agrees to hear PIL seeking ban on Sardar jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

[h=1]Not a joke: Supreme Court agrees to hear PIL seeking ban on Sardar jokes[/h][h=2]The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a petition asking for direction to ban nearly five thousand websites displaying jokes on the Sikh community.[/h]The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a petition asking for direction to ban nearly five thousand websites displaying jokes on the Sikh community. Petitioner Harvinder Chowdhury in his Public Interest Litigation (PIL) has requested the court to issue an order banning all websites which spread jokes portraying the 'sardar' community as 'persons of low intellect, stupid and foolish'.

Such a complaint has come up for the first time in Delhi - that too before the Supreme Court. Earlier, Sikh groups have on several occasions gone to the police, especially in Mumbai, seeking ban on such jokes.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...pil-seeking-ban-on-sardar-jokes/1/511068.html

At least now some one has come forward to raise his voice.

As far as I know most Punjabis or Sardars do not really mind their "less intelligent' tag.

I remember when I was in final year in college the near by engineering college had their final year results out and by late evening a group of male Punjabi engineering students were riding around their bikes in the medical college campus making a lot of noise and constantly honking happily.

So I was wondering whats the happy occasion and I got to know that exam results were out for them..so I thought Ok some guy must have scored real well or at least a gold medal so I guess thats why all the celebration.

But I got to know that that wasnt the case..the guys had scored 2nd class for their final exams.

So I asked one of them "why all the noise and celebration? I thought one of you got a gold medal for this much noise"

Then one of them said "hey we are Punjabis..getting a 2nd class itself is a big deal for us..so its time to celebrate but a Tamilian student is crying in hostel cos he missed a gold medal by one mark"

I got to know that a TB student was very upset that he missed a goal medal by one mark!

So you see Punjus do not really mind the less intelligent tag but eventually most of them do well in life cos they are hardworking,think out of the box business savvy,dare to face challenges and have high EQs.

I remember to have come across an article in a magazine. A Punjabi travelled in a taxi and the driver passed some Sardarji jokes. While relishing the jokes, the Punjabi politely asked the driver whether he has come across a beggar from the Sikh community.

I am sure members will know the answer.

I remember to have come across an article in a magazine. A Punjabi travelled in a taxi and the driver passed some Sardarji jokes. While relishing the jokes, the Punjabi politely asked the driver whether he has come across a beggar from the Sikh community.

I am sure members will know the answer.

Chandru Ji,

I hope you mean the following joke:

M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar Started The Discussion:

Hi All!! Maybe A Story But Very True.............

In The Diwali Vacation, My Friend And Couple Of His Friends Had Gone To Delhi .

They Rented A Taxi For Local Sight-Seeing. The Driver Was An Old Sardar, And Boys Being Boys, Sudhanshu And His Pals Began Cracking Sardarji Jokes, Just To Instigate The Old Man. But To Their Surprise, The Fellow Remained Unperturbed.

At The End Of The Sight-Seeing, They Paid Up The Hire-Charges. The Sardar Returned The Change. Moreover, He Gave Each

One Of Them One Rupee Extra And Said, (In Hindi, Of Course),
''Son, Since Morning You Have Been Telling Sardarji Jokes. I Listened To Them All And Let Me Tell You, Some Of Them Were In A Very Bad Taste. Still, I Don't Mind Coz I Know That You Are Young Blood And Are Yet To See The World. But I Have Just One Request. Here I Am Giving You One Rupee Each. Give It To The First Sardar Beggar That You Come Across In This City."

Sudhanshu Continued,"That One Rupee Coin Is Still With Me. I Couldn't Find A Single Sardar Begging On The Streets Of Delhi ."

Friends, We All Love Sardar Jokes. But The Fact Of Matter Is That Sikhs Are One Of The Most Prosperous And Diversified Communities In The World.

The Secret Behind Their Universal Success, According To Me, Is Their Willingness To Do Any Job With Utmost Dedication. A Sardar Will Drive A Truck Or Set Up A Roadside Garage Or A Dhaba, But He Will Never Beg On The Streets.

Courtesy: http://www.citehr.com/36583-sardar-jokes-nice-story.html

Last edited by a moderator:
‘I am a proud Sikh, and I love Santa-Banta jokes’

An open letter to the lawyer who has filed a PIL in the Supreme court asking for a ban on Sardar jokes.

My name is Manek Singh Kohli, and I am an uncut and unshaven Sikh. I have grown up in an upper-middle class urban household where Sikhism is explicitly followed. In my school days I have had a flurry of jokes and ridicule hurled at me, sometimes ones that are very unforgiving.

I, however, do not agree with a word of what Mrs. Harvinder Chowdhary, a practicing lawyer and a fellow-Sikh, has presented as an argument justifying the ban of over 5,000 websites containing ‘Sardarji jokes’. Not only do I think that her PIL, which the Supreme Court has recently agreed to hear, does not stand on any logical or rational grounds, it also amounts to tainting the rest of us with the intolerance.

What the jokes actually show is how tolerant, sporting and open-minded we are – a class apart from several others claiming to be fighting for their community in India today.

See more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...santa-banta-jokes’-35697#sthash.0McxbiyN.dpuf

In 1983, I had been to Baroda for a month to attend a training programme.
Three Sardars also attended the programme.
Since it was a residential training college we used to spend the evening with cultural programmes.
These Sardars themselves used to tell a lot of Sardarji jokes.
It exhibited to us, how much sense of humour and tolerance that community have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back