• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Seventy Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
70 is beema ratha santhi . The procedures all are same except the "Mangalya Tharanam " or kalyanam procedure. It is only for 60.

Mohan sir - sorry to differ beema santhi is for 55 and 70 is called beema ratha santhi.

Thanks,
Arun M

No Mohan ji,

I always accept correction in areas where I do not have exposure.

I never heard about this function earlier in my life. Just 2 years back I attended one such function.

Whether the 70th birth anniversary celebrations are conventional ...... that also I do not know.

Now You have come out with the fact 55th anniversary celebration and its nomenclature.

Whether these 55th & 70th .....have the sanctions of the earliest customs and traditions or originated recently from those

who do have the fear / doubt that they may not live up to 60 and 80 years, respectively.

70 is beema ratha santhi . The procedures all are same except the "Mangalya Tharanam " or kalyanam procedure. It is only for 60.

Mohan sir - sorry to differ beema santhi is for 55 and 70 is called beema ratha santhi.

Thanks,
Arun M

Shri Arun,

The two names Bheema and Rathi, I believe, originate from some less-known astrological sources; the words denote the numbers 54 and 72 respectively, according to the kaTapayAdi rules. It is still believed that at age 54 there may be a MadhyAyur KhaNDam in some horoscopes and so death may befall the native. Similarly, age 72 is considered as the 'maximum' MadhyAyus and in many horoscopes death may be indicated at this age.

Among tabras both these were not recognized much till about 15 or 20 years back, i.e., till our youngsters started earning fabulously through the IT/BPO routes. When the tabras' financial position improved suddenly and drastically, their old values of detachment evaporated, there was a new wave of "enjoy every moment" of your life set in and so also, a fear of untimely death snatching away the newly acquired lollipop. Then started the celebrations of 54/55, 70/72 etc., birthdays and priests (Vadhyars) and some temples like Tirukkadavoor capitalized on this frenzy.

Though my experience in astrology is nothing as compared to Shri yesmohan's, my humble feeling is that the KhaNDam at age 54/55 is usually more effective in bringing death to a person than the one at 70/72.

In Kerala, and amongst the Nair Tarvads, the Saptati has been celebrated with pomp and feasts for a long, long time. Very few observe their 60th. birthday on an equal footing.

Shri Arun,

The two names Bheema and Rathi, I believe, originate from some less-known astrological sources; the words denote the numbers 54 and 72 respectively, according to the kaTapayAdi rules. It is still believed that at age 54 there may be a MadhyAyur KhaNDam in some horoscopes and so death may befall the native. Similarly, age 72 is considered as the 'maximum' MadhyAyus and in many horoscopes death may be indicated at this age.

Among tabras both these were not recognized much till about 15 or 20 years back, i.e., till our youngsters started earning fabulously through the IT/BPO routes. When the tabras' financial position improved suddenly and drastically, their old values of detachment evaporated, there was a new wave of "enjoy every moment" of your life set in and so also, a fear of untimely death snatching away the newly acquired lollipop. Then started the celebrations of 54/55, 70/72 etc., birthdays and priests (Vadhyars) and some temples like Tirukkadavoor capitalized on this frenzy.

Though my experience in astrology is nothing as compared to Shri yesmohan's, my humble feeling is that the KhaNDam at age 54/55 is usually more effective in bringing death to a person than the one at 70/72.

In Kerala, and amongst the Nair Tarvads, the Saptati has been celebrated with pomp and feasts for a long, long time. Very few observe their 60th. birthday on an equal footing.

Beema , rathi etc. have nothing to do with astrology. It seems these all emanated from Greedy Prohits / Vadhyars who

aspire for perennial source of income by exploiting the death fear of people. Perhaps these concepts might have come

from Kerala where astrologers are very notorious for doing parharams and all type of gimmicks in the name of Astrology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back