• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kodavasal, the seat of learning

• Thread starter V.Balasubramani
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

[h=1]Kodavasal, 18 km from Kumbakonam, is where the Swami Dayananda Educational Trust (SDET) runs a Veda patasala[/h]
09fr_Kodavasal_jpg_2576306g.jpg

• Veda class in progress at the Kodavasal Veda Patasala. Photo: Suganthy Krishnamachari
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The passing away of Swami Dayananda Saraswathi recently brought back memories of my visit to the Kodavasal village a few years ago. Kodavasal, 18 km from Kumbakonam, is where the Swami Dayananda Educational Trust (SDET) runs a Veda patasala. The school is an offshoot of the Manjakkudi Veda Patasala, also run by the Trust. Vaikanasa agama, Rig and Yajur Vedas are taught in the school.

The uniqueness of the Kodavasal patasala lies in the fact that rare sakhas are taught here. “Ranayini Sakha and Jaimini Sakha of Sama Veda, Pippalada Sakha of Atharva Veda and Kanva Sakha of Sukla Yajur Veda are some of the rare sakhas supported by the Trust,” said Sheela Balaji, managing trustee. “A teacher was brought from Maharashtra to teach yet another rare sakha - Maitrayani Sakha of Krishna Yajur Veda.”

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/master-the-vedas-at-kodavasal/article7738621.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
Kodavasal is between Kumbakonam and Tiruvarur. Manjakkudi is nearby Kodavasal in the same route.
Good news to read.
In those days,once I heard very good Hari kathaa kaalatchepam by Manjakkudi Rajagopala Sasthrikal.

hi

when i visit to swamimalai from kumbakonam....i think kudavaasal on the way to thiruvaiyaru....kudavasal/paanasam route.....very

orthodox brahmin agraharam....

Kodavasal, 18 km from Kumbakonam, is where the Swami Dayananda Educational Trust (SDET) runs a Veda patasala

• Veda class in progress at the Kodavasal Veda Patasala. Photo: Suganthy Krishnamachari
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The passing away of Swami Dayananda Saraswathi recently brought back memories of my visit to the Kodavasal village a few years ago. Kodavasal, 18 km from Kumbakonam, is where the Swami Dayananda Educational Trust (SDET) runs a Veda patasala. The school is an offshoot of the Manjakkudi Veda Patasala, also run by the Trust. Vaikanasa agama, Rig and Yajur Vedas are taught in the school.

The uniqueness of the Kodavasal patasala lies in the fact that rare sakhas are taught here. “Ranayini Sakha and Jaimini Sakha of Sama Veda, Pippalada Sakha of Atharva Veda and Kanva Sakha of Sukla Yajur Veda are some of the rare sakhas supported by the Trust,” said Sheela Balaji, managing trustee. “A teacher was brought from Maharashtra to teach yet another rare sakha - Maitrayani Sakha of Krishna Yajur Veda.”

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/master-the-vedas-at-kodavasal/article7738621.ece
hi

very rare sakhas......really nice...thaithiriya sakha of yajur veda is common in veda patashalas.....there are mandhyana sakha

of sukla yajurveda generaly common in north india....

Last edited:
Dothe children also learn the meaning (word meanings at least) of what they learn by rote? Do they get formal school education also?

Do they get formal school education also?

Sangom Ji,

I furnish below the information I got through the link:

Swami Dayananda Veda Pathashala, Kodavasal

A haven for the preservation of Vedic education

Established: 2003

Number of students: 53

The Swami Dayananda Veda Pathashala in Kodavasal aims to foster traditional knowledge systems. The residential school teaches the Rig Veda, Krishna Yajur Veda, Shukla Yajur Veda and Vaikasana Agamas to its students.

Students are exposed to a rigorous seven-year curriculum that includes both the Vedas as well as the conventional subjects learnt in schools, including math and science. Students are encouraged to complete their secondary-level education (10th standard). Students often bag honours at national-level competitions.

The school itself is situated in a heritage building that has been painstakingly renovated to its former glory.

Read more at: http://www.sdet.in/our-projects/swami-dayananda-veda-pathashala-kodavasal/

Sangom Ji,

The Swami Dayananda Veda Pathashala in Kodavasal aims to foster traditional knowledge systems. The residential school teaches the Rig Veda, Krishna Yajur Veda, Shukla Yajur Veda and Vaikasana Agamas to its students.

Students are exposed to a rigorous seven-year curriculum that includes both the Vedas as well as the conventional subjects learnt in schools, including math and science. Students are encouraged to complete their secondary-level education (10th standard). Students often bag honours at national-level competitions.

The school itself is situated in a heritage building that has been painstakingly renovated to its former glory.

Read more at: http://www.sdet.in/our-projects/swami-dayananda-veda-pathashala-kodavasal/

Thanks for the info. It looks as if the boys get to learn the vedas by rote only. Teaching them the meaning of what they learn would have been a very valuable step.

Secondly, are low caste boys (and girls, in general) permitted to join the VedapAThaSAla? Looks like it is a big "No No".

Kodavasal, 18 km from Kumbakonam, is where the Swami Dayananda Educational Trust (SDET) runs a Veda patasala

Very nice picture :)
The children all are seated well with their back straight. There are all kinds of namam styles which is one level of integration.

Other comments:

Rote method is the best manner to start off because children will develop great mental capacity to memorize without being impeded by thinking for which they do not yet have the requisite experience in life. This does not mean their ability to think or analyze is stunted.

I assume any qualified student will be admitted to the school.

Sangom Ji,

hi

getting qualified vedic teachers are may be scarecity....good vaadhyar/guru required for vedic learning..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back