• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Google exec: With robots in our brains, we'll be godlike !

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

Whoever expected Google to be in Salvation business :)
Futurist and Google exec Ray Kurzweil thinks that once we have robotic implants, we'll be funnier, sexier and more loving. Because that's what artificial intelligence can do for you.

At a minimum think of the possibilities :) - Hybrid Robotic humans can have robot(s) as spouse(s) in addition to other hybrid humans for wife/husband.
source:
http://www.cnet.com/news/google-exec-with-robots-in-our-brains-well-be-godlike/

======================================

I suspect a few of you are looking forward to being robots.

Who wouldn't be fascinated by the idea of becoming someone other than themselves? We do get so tired of being the same dull soul every day.

What kind of robots will we be? Happily, I can provide an answer. For living inside my head all day have been the words of Google's director of engineering, Ray Kurzweil.

For more than a curt while, he's been keen on humans going over to the bright side. He's predicted that humans will be hybrid robots by 2030.

But what will this be like? More importantly, what will this feel like? Are you ready to engage what's left of your humorous humanity when I offer you the information that Kurzweil believes we're going to be quite wonderful people when we're part robot?

Kurzweil has a truly, madly, deeply optimistic view of who we will be when nanobots are implanted into our brains so we can expand our intelligence by directly tapping into the Internet.

This is such a relief. I had feared that when a robot was implanted into my brain, my head would hurt. I was afraid that I wouldn't be quite in touch with my feelings, as I wouldn't be sure if they were real or just the promptings of my inner robot.

Kurzweil, though, has reassured me. Speaking recently at Singularity University, where he is a member of the faculty, he explained that my brain will develop in the same way my smartphone has.

"We're going to add additional levels of abstraction," he said, "and create more-profound means of expression."

More profound than Twitter? Is that possible?

Kurzweil continued: "We're going to be more musical. We're going to be funnier. We're going to be better at expressing loving sentiment."

Because robots are renowned for their musicality, their sense of humor and their essential loving qualities. Especially in Hollywood movies.

Kurzweil insists, though, that this is the next natural phase of our existence.

"Evolution creates structures and patterns that over time are more complicated, more knowledgeable, more intelligent, more creative, more capable of expressing higher sentiments like being loving," he said. "So it's moving in the direction that God has been described as having -- these qualities without limit."

Yes, we are becoming gods.

"Evolution is a spiritual process and makes us more godlike," was Kurzweil's conclusion.

There's something so uplifting, yet so splendidly egocentric in suggesting that man will soon be God, thanks to artificial intelligence. The mere fact that this intelligence is artificial might be a clue as to its potential limitations.

Moreover, I rather think of us as a dangerous species: Primitive, yet believing we're so very clever.

There are so many fundamental things with which we struggle. Here we are, though, believing that we'll be godlike in a few years' time.

Lord, help us.

I am envisaging a different kind of AI. Whereas Kurzweil talks of machine intelligence in a human body, I would think that human intelligence in a machine body would be a safer way and a deeper way of creating intelligence. I am looking a project where spiritual energy can be tapped into a hardware and which then starts thinking and behaving intelligently in a natural way. This is possible because spiritual energy can not only do physical work but also mental work. Spiritual energy can be defined as the capacity to do physical and mental work unlike physical energy which cannot by itself do mental work.

I have just thought about the above idea and plan to take it forward seriously.

Dear Sravna,

Energy is Energy only when we personalize it we call it Positive or Negative or Spiritual etc.

When I think "Energy" I think of Universal Consciousness...the power house that pervades everything in the universe..both animate and inanimate..the UC should technically be neither Positive,Negative nor Neuter..therefore division of energy into positive,negative,spiritual etc is just "personalization" of the outcome of any activity.

Spiritual energy can be defined as the capacity to do physical and mental work unlike physical energy which cannot by itself do mental work.

BTW Sravna..where do you think we humans get energy to think(mental work)?

Its from the food we consume. The act of eating is physical..the act of digestion is physical.The usage of substrates by the brain to think is physical. The act of thinking itself is a physical act..just becos the brain is used for it we call it mental work.

Without physical activity being embodied is not possible...we are alive becos there is physical activity 24/7 in the body.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

What you say is something I am thinking about and working on. I have a hypothesis where spiritual energy can raise its level to such an extent so that the bodily activities also are powered by thoughts alone. No energy in the physical reality may be required but one at a higher level of mind. is what will provide the energy. The idea is still amorphous and has to take shape.

Dear Folks,

You may want to watch out the site nirguna.co.in. Though nothing much is there now, I would be posting my views on spirituality and science there. I will also be posting on the progress in my efforts in AI there. So kindly take note of it.

Dear Renuka,

What you say is something I am thinking about and working on. I have a hypothesis where spiritual energy can raise its level to such an extent so that the bodily activities also are powered by thoughts alone. No energy in the physical reality may be required but one at a higher level of mind. is what will provide the energy. The idea is still amorphous and has to take shape.

According to Paramahansa Yogananda..Matter according to Hindu Philosophy is made up of intelligent "thoughtrons" of God/Universal Consciousness which materialize into grosser forces of intelligent "lifetrons"(prana),electrons and protons,atoms,molecules,tissues etc.(taken from a website).

Ok..you may also want to read the Vedantic theory of grossification also known as Pancikarana on how matter came into existence from the 5 Primordial Elements.

Then you might get clearer picture that there is NO actual need to reject all things physical and feel only spiritual matters.

To power anything by thoughts alone is actually possible if one does not have a physical body or any body of any sorts be it even a subtle body.

The subtle body too has its own Nadis and Subtle Nervous System which is still powered by Prana.

How much thought influences this is not clear.

In my opinion thinking that ONLY spiritual matters would not have even lead to creation of the Universe.

True Hindu philosophy is not about rejecting anything at any level..its about understanding how and why everything works in concert by realizing the substratum.

Last edited:
Good Renuka, I agree with you. But my interest related to this topic of AI is to understand how thoughts or spiritual energy can interact with matter and power it. That is the focus. One has to extrapolate and work out the details to make use of our philosophy and create something like AI. Right?

Good Renuka, I agree with you. But my interest related to this topic of AI is to understand how thoughts or spiritual energy can interact with matter and power it. That is the focus. One has to extrapolate and work out the details to make use of our philosophy and create something like AI. Right?

Dear Sravna,

I do hope you know we are not entirely on the same page!LOL

I keep saying that Energy is Energy and there is no such thing as spiritual energy but you feel there is something called spiritual energy.

Personally I am not into AI..we humans have yet to understand even our own mind and venturing into AI would not be that great an idea..also I feel its slightly unethical to make a humanoid but not giving it a heart and emotions.

Dear Renuka,

The difference between physical and spiritual energy is real. Trust me. Physical energy exerts force and is disintegrating in nature whereas spiritual energy takes away the force from something and is integrating and harmonising in nature. They are so starkly different and belong to different realities.

So if physical energy and equally potent spiritual energy were to come into contact, the force of the physical energy would totally vanish and it would produce no impact on anything. This is what happens in curing of diseases and other problems where spiritual energy is able to solve them.

Dear Renuka,

The difference between physical and spiritual energy is real. Trust me. Physical energy exerts force and is disintegrating in nature whereas spiritual energy takes away the force from something and is integrating and harmonising in nature. They are so starkly different and belong to different realities.

So if physical energy and equally potent spiritual energy were to come into contact, the force of the physical energy would totally vanish and it would produce no impact on anything. This is what happens in curing of diseases and other problems where spiritual energy is able to solve them.

Dear Sravna,

Force has a total different formula from Energy if I still remember my physics right.

F=ma

Force=mass x acceleration

Can you explain to me how Physical Energy exerts "destructive" force and how Spiritual Energy removes this force using this formula?

You are talking about Force isn't it?

Some random thoughts on this topic:

Thoughts may be just energy.

If thoughts are energy how to propogate them across space is the question. Answer has to be found.

All physical systems are finite and are within boundaries. Human body with a mind is a finite physical system. A chip added to its brain would still kep it finite while everything else in existence would still be outside this finite system. Transcending the boundary will be a formidable task. A certain amount of abstraction has already been achieved when we placed the first pace maker inside the system tokeep the heart workig rhythmically.

An answer may be available in the ancient archives of knowledge. Yes we had the "technology" and knowhow to convert the element mercury in liquid form to make solid shivlingams without adding any thing else to the liquid metal but with applying pure thought energy alone. The thought energy transmitted was such that it could manipulate interatomic forces and space, and impose protectve boundaries to the changed structure so that it does not return to its original equilibrium state. LOL.

So there we had the solution. 1. We understood the nature of thoughts as form of energy. 2.We could use it in a controlled maner 3. We transcended the boundary limitations 4. And it remains unaffected by passage of time. However we lost that knowledge irretrievably and so have to start all over again.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

Force has a total different formula from Energy if I still remember my physics right.

F=ma

Force=mass x acceleration

Can you explain to me how Physical Energy exerts "destructive" force and how Spiritual Energy removes this force using this formula?

You are talking about Force isn't it?

Yes Renuka, Force is due to change in energy. The acceleration in the formula is what causes the impact where acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. So anything that is under the influence of force is subject to something destructive. It is my guess that spiritual energy which is a constant energy is able to remove such changes in physical energy and hence removes the force it exerts

Renuka, to put it succinctly, physical energy is changing energy and change causing and spiritual energy is constant energy and change removing.

Yes Renuka, Force is due to change in energy. The acceleration in the formula is what causes the impact where acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. So anything that is under the influence of force is subject to something destructive. It is my guess that spiritual energy which is a constant energy is able to remove such changes in physical energy and hence removes the force it exerts

Dear Sravna,

How can everything under the influence of force be destructive?

Take the act of breathing for example...only inspiration(breathing in) is passive..expiration(breathing out) is active and needs the aid of intra thoracic pressure.

In breathing in its the atmospheric pressure which aids air entry into our lungs....therefore without "force" from the atmosphere we would not be able to even to breathe.

What about the force of gravity? Without the force of gravity even walking,eating,standing would not be possible.

Now another example...child birth.a mother exerts a tremendous amount of pressure to expel the baby from the birth canal during delivery..that too is a force..so how do you say that anything under the influence of force is subject to something destructive?

Without force even childbirth would not be possible..even in cases of C section..the doctor uses force to make an incision to extract the baby out.

Our very existence depends on force whether we realize it or not.

Renuka, to put it succinctly, physical energy is changing energy and change causing and spiritual energy is constant energy and change removing.

Dear Sravna,

If spiritual energy actually is constant..than how does it remove change?

Even in Hindu philosophy creation only took place after the equilibrium of the gunas were tilted.

Even in a so called state of equilibrium like we seen in a chemical reaction..its not as if nothing is going on to maintain the steady state..I am sure you remember chemistry where two ongoing process in the opposite direction is going on to maintain the state of equilibrium.

What appears like "constant" is still actually "change" but bi-directional..opposing each other therefore appears constant.

Dear Sravna,

If spiritual energy actually is constant..than how does it remove change?

Even in Hindu philosophy creation only took place after the equilibrium of the gunas were tilted.

Even in a so called state of equilibrium like we seen in a chemical reaction..its not as if nothing is going on to maintain the steady state..I am sure you remember chemistry where two ongoing process in the opposite direction is going on to maintain the state of equilibrium.

What appears like "constant" is still actually "change" but bi-directional..opposing each other therefore appears constant.

Dear Renuka,

I agree with your equilibrium reasoning but the point is the energy itself does not change. As I said force is felt only when there is change in energy. When forces come together in a harmoniously they aid in a constructive way. So whatever constructive is happening is because of the harmony among the forces.

My thesis is that, this world is just not physical reality but physical-mental reality. They are inseparable. That is the reason we see nature being very intelligent and acting according to precise laws.

My thesis is that, this world is just not physical reality but physical-mental reality. They are inseparable.

Dear Sravna,

Physical-Subtle and beyond would be even more accurate..cos right now all we know is just physical and subtle..for all we know there is much more than these 2 states.

No state is higher than the other in my opinion.All form one unit.

Everything is Brahman as the saying goes..so if we feel that "spiritual" is higher than physical that means we have classified Brahman into a higher and lower Brahman which in my opinion is not with accordance with Hindu Philosophy.

Dear Sravna,

Physical-Subtle and beyond would be even more accurate..cos right now all we know is just physical and subtle..for all we know there is much more than these 2 states.

No state is higher than the other in my opinion.All form one unit.

Everything is Brahman as the saying goes..so if we feel that "spiritual" is higher than physical that means we have classified Brahman into a higher and lower Brahman which in my opinion is not with accordance with Hindu Philosophy.

Yes, there is no higher and lower brahman. Just two different experiences of brahman, one as nirguna and the other as saguna and jivatmas. The former without maya and the latter with maya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back