• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

PanchaKanyas-

Status
Not open for further replies.
PanchaKanyas-

The panchakanya literally means five kanyas. Kanya may be translated as girl, daughter, maiden or virgin.

The well-known Sanskrit hymn that defines the Panchakanys runs:

Sanskrit transliteration

ahalyā draupadī sītā tārā mandodarī tathā ।
pañcakanyāḥ smarennityaṃ mahāpātakanāśinī

English translation

Ahalya, Draupadi, Sita, Tara and Mandodari
One should forever remember the panchakanya who are the destroyers of great sins

A variant replaces Sita with Kunti:[SUP]

[/SUP]

Sanskrit transliteration
ahalyā draupadī kuṃtī tārā mandodarī tathā ।
pañcakanyāḥ smarennityaṃ mahāpātakanāśinīm

Though all being married, the choice of the word kanya, not nari(woman) or sati (chaste wife), seems interesting to scholar Pradip Bhattacharya”

Of these five,
Ahalya was violated by Indra,
Draupadi had five Husbands,
Tara lived with her husband Vaali’s Brother , Sugreeva.
Mandodai married Vibhishana, Ravanas’ brother, after Ravana’s death?

Only Sita fits the concept of Chastity and loayalty to the core!

That’s why She is treated as Mother by all, Thayar in Tamil.

But then how the other four qualify as one among panchakanya ? is it because 'The panchakanya' are venerated as ideal women and chaste wives in one view?

All kanyas lack mothers in their life. Ahalya, Tara, Mandodari, Sita and Draupadi have supernatural births, while Kunti is adopted at birth and separated from a mother. Though all of the kanyas are described as mothers, except Kunti, no kanya's motherhood is emphasized in their tales.

Another common element is the theme of loss in their legends. Ahalya is cursed and abandoned by her family. Tara loses her husband, Draupadi her sons and Mandodari her husband, sons and kin in war. Each of them suffers a tragedy and used by men, but battles on with life and society. They are considered by Mr Pradip Bhattacharya as victims of patriarchal myth-making, message.

The panchakanya are regarded by one view as ideal women. George M. Williams remarks, "They are not perfect but they fulfil their dharma (duty) as mothers, sisters, wives and occasionally leaders in their own right."

Another view considers them exemplary chaste women or mahasatis ("great chaste women") as per the Mahari dance tradition, and worthy as an ideal for "displaying some outstanding quality".

Another view does not regard the panchakanya as ideal women who should be emulated.[SUP]

[/SUP]Bhattacharya, author of Panch-Kanya: The Five Virgins of Indian Epics contrasts the panchakanya with the five satis enlisted in another traditional prayer: Sati, Sita, Savitri, Damayanti and Arundhati. He rhetorically asks, "Are then Ahalya, Draupadi, Kunti, Tara, and Mandodari not chaste wives because each has 'known' a man, or more than one, other than her husband?"[SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchakanya
[/SUP]

Last edited:
Kanya means virgin.

These 5 had pure hearts I suppose..hence their nature is virginal. Most human minds can not go beyond bodily relationships and hence can't accept a person who has had more than one sexual partner to be pure.If we can rid ourselves of bodily attachment everyone is pure and virginal.

BYW Seeta is not ranked higher than the other 4.

If we want to find fault we can start finding fault even with Sita cos she accused Lakshmana of having a desire for her..so that means she could have viewed Lakshmana in a not so pure manner to even accuse of him of crime he never ever would have thought..further more Lakshmana is also her sister's husband..so why such an impure thought in Sita's mind?

Among all the 5 I personally admire Ahalya..In Valmiki Ramayan it clearly states that she knew it was Indra and not Gautama..she wasn't afraid to express her sexuality.

Draupadi I am not too fond of her cos she was arrogant to the core..she insulted Karna and also made fun of Duryodhana when he fell saying a blind man's son is also blind.So she paid a heavy price for her arrogance.

Kunti I can't stand her cos she had zero feelings for Karna..went to meet him just to get a favor from him and binding him with even more promises.

Tara technically is a primate.
Primates do not mate for life mostly..so there is no husband or brother in law,mama or machans for them.Its a free world for a primate to mate.

Mandodari is rather simple and almost boring.Nothing much about her..Ravan overshadowed her in Ramayan.

Panch Kanya

'Ahalya, Draupadi, Sita, Tara, Mandodari tatha,
Panchakanya smarn nityam maha pataka nasanam'

As per above slokam, remembering the 5 Panch kanya (5 women), mentioned here in pooja can remove the sin.

According to scriptures the following 5 women are called "Panch Kanyas" .

1)Ahilya- She was a wife of Sage Gautam. She suffered the curse of her husband for many years.She waited of Lord Rama for many years to liberate her from the curse.

2) Draupadi- During the exile, she supported her husbands at every point.She took the death of her son,Abhimanyu with courage and strength

3)Sita- She was an incarnation of goddess lakshmi. She remained with Lord Rama in the most difficult conditions which she could had been avoided. The was totally dedicated to Lord Rama.

4)Tara- She was the wife of King Bali. She was famous for her diplomacy and even after the death of her husband she laid condition before her brother in law Sugriv to make her son successor of the throne.

5)Mandodri- She was the wife of King Ravana. She knew the nature of her husband and she handled him very well till the end and kept persuading him to drop the idea of Sita from his mind.

remembering them helps to destroy the greatest sins.

The literal meaning of 'kanya' means 'a young girl'. Though the above 5 women were married and their lives were full of miseries.They were much ahead of the time and tackled the most difficult situations of their lives with courage.

Last edited:
Please provide the source for these.

Panch Kanya

'Ahalya, Draupadi, Sita, Tara, Mandodari tatha,
Panchakanya smarn nityam maha pataka nasanam'

As per above slokam, remembering the 5 Panch kanya (5 women), mentioned here in pooja can remove the sin.

According to scriptures the following 5 women are called "Panch Kanyas" .

1)Ahilya- She was a wife of Sage Gautam. She suffered the curse of her husband for many years.She waited of Lord Rama for many years to liberate her from the curse.

2) Draupadi- During the exile, she supported her husbands at every point.She took the death of her son,Abhimanyu with courage and strength

3)Sita- She was an incarnation of goddess lakshmi. She remained with Lord Rama in the most difficult conditions which she could had been avoided. The was totally dedicated to Lord Rama.

4)Tara- She was the wife of King Bali. She was famous for her diplomacy and even after the death of her husband she laid condition before her brother in law Sugriv to make her son successor of the throne.

5)Mandodri- She was the wife of King Ravana. She knew the nature of her husband and she handled him very well till the end and kept persuading him to drop the idea of Sita from his mind.

remembering them helps to destroy the greatest sins.

The literal meaning of 'kanya' means 'a young girl'. Though the above 5 women were married and their lives were full of miseries.They were much ahead of the time and tackled the most difficult situations of their lives with courage.

Dear Sir,

Abhimanyu was not the son of Draupadi..Abhi was the son of Subhadra and Arjuna.

The sons of Draupadi were known as Upapandavas who were all slain by Ashwattama.

Dear Renu,

C n P leads to problems, most of the times. :)

The source of 'that' wrong info. is :
hindustories.blogspot.in/2012/04/ahalya-draupadi-sita-tara-mandodari

Just like "Expert Corner" there could also be a "cut-paste corner", "my opinion corner", "my theory corner" etc. where people can dump whatever they wish to. The readers may simple ignore that "corner" or read for their knowledge, amusement, to get kick-ku, to have a chuckle and move on etc and not be unduly bothered to seek clarification or details of things mentioned in the post.

Last edited:
Just like "Expert Corner" there could also be a "cut-paste corner", "my opinion corner", "my theory corner" etc. where people can dump whatever they wish to. The readers may simple ignore that "corner" or read for their knowledge, amusement, to get kick-ku, to have a chuckle and move on etc and not be unduly bothered to seek clarification or details of things mentioned in the post.

Excellent idea :)

It is actually 'copy&paste corner' without citation !

Then there could be 'joke series' and members can vote on moving certain posts to the joke series :)

Most threads ( I repeat Most threads ) based on some Cut and paste source only

Only those argue in General section use their own, even there , on has to depend upon some source info, there again cut and paste comes

Most threads ( I repeat Most threads ) based on some Cut and paste source only

Only those argue in General section use their own, even there , on has to depend upon some source info, there again cut and paste comes

You have always provided the source reference, which is excellent!

Dear Narayan Sir,
Already the "My...." and "I" threads exist. So also the "Read ONLY" threads! :ranger:

Hats off to P J Sir! :yo:

He spends quality time on the net and shares whatever he finds worth sharing. :typing:

Since the sources are different, it gives good reading.

But some others fill up the threads with F B posts!!

Hats off to P J Sir! :yo:

He spends quality time on the net and shares whatever he finds worth sharing. :typing:

Since the sources are different, it gives good reading.

But some others fill up the threads with F B posts!!

Raji Madam and tks Sir

Thanks for your comments

I try to collect useful information from various sources spending about 4-5 hours a day and post it in this Forum

Among them
Job Vacancies, Inspiration and Motivational Threads, Natural Remedies Thread, Temple Threads, Maha Periyava Threads, give me a sense of doing my little bit in this forum although all of them are copied from some source.

When i was posting about Divya Desam Temples, I used to Visualize the Temples in my mind, learn't many new things about these Great Temples; I was praying to Sriman Narayan all the time reciting Sri Vishnu Sahara Namam/or some other sloka while posting about these Great Divya Desam Temples.

News items, Web Sources, Slokas etc, Politics matter etc can only be copied and pasted; similarly writing about Great Musicians in Music Folder one has to depend upon already available sources from the net, which means again copying and pasting.

I collect interesting information from various sources and post it in " My Collections" thread;

In Chit Chat, i try to post interesting Quiz; All are only copied and paste posts

I am not good in writing Tamil Poems like VR madam or RR madam , so i never venture there.

I unsubscribe from most threads to avoid mental agony reading some of the replies from some well informed members, and for some i never reply because replying them will lead the argument no where

I sincerely feel Renukaji, Raji Madam can do more, like Tks Sir doing!!

They can open their own blog, Renu's Page or Raji 's Page like that and share many things with members which are useful

tks Sir is doing wonderful job countering some negative inputs in this Forum, he has lot of patience to explain things meaning fully; Hat's off to Him

There are very many knowledgeable members in this Forum Like, vaagmi Sir, vgane Sir, tvk sir, sravna, prasadji, sangom sir, auh Sir, Balasubramanian Sir, Krish Sir, saidevo Sir,Praveen Sir,Krishna Sir and the list goes on and on..

My only regret is, in the name of freedom of expression, some of them are writing against Hindus Beliefs and Faiths, their Gods etc

Will they be able to write any thing against Islam although they have the freedom to write ?

Last edited:
Raji Madam and tks Sir

Thanks for your comments

I try to collect useful information from various sources spending about 4-5 hours a day and post it in this Forum

Among them
Job Vacancies, Inspiration and Motivational Threads, Natural Remedies Thread, Temple Threads, Maha Periyava Threads, give me a sense of doing my little bit in this forum although all of them are copied from some source.

When i was posting about Divya Desam Temples, I used to Visualize the Temples in my mind, learn't many new things about these Great Temples; I was praying to Sriman Narayan all the time reciting Sri Vishnu Sahara Namam/or some other sloka while posting about these Great Divya Desam Temples.

News items, Web Sources, Slokas etc, Politics matter etc can only be copied and pasted; similarly writing about Great Musicians in Music Folder one has to depend upon already available sources from the net, which means again copying and pasting.

I collect interesting information from various sources and post it in " My Collections" thread;

In Chit Chat, i try to post interesting Quiz; All are only copied and paste posts

I am not good in writing Tamil Poems like VR madam or RR madam , so i never venture there.

I unsubscribe from most threads to avoid mental agony reading some of the replies from some well informed members, and for some i never reply because replying them will lead the argument no where

I sincerely feel Renukaji, Raji Madam can do more, like Tks Sir doing!!

They can open their own blog, Renu's Page or Raji 's Page like that and share many things with members which are useful

tks Sir is doing wonderful job countering some negative inputs in this Forum, he has lot of patience to explain things meaning fully; Hat's off to Him

There are very many knowledgeable members in this Forum Like, vaagmi Sir, vgane Sir, tvk sir, sravna, prasadji, sangom sir, auh Sir, Balasubramanian Sir, Krish Sir, saidevo Sir,Praveen Sir,Krishna Sir and the list goes on and on..

My only regret is, in the name of freedom of expression, some of them are writing against Hindus Beliefs and Faiths, their Gods etc

Will they be able to write any thing against Islam although they have the freedom to write ?

Sri PJ - thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your kind words.
I know you are an active member here and there are people that like to read your posts.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back