• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

PM Modi's favourability ratings touch 87% - Pew Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
2452 respondents from a country of more than 125 crore people; i.e., 0.ooo2% and that is India's opinion. It is not very different from (my) telling that I doubt Modi's ability to steer this country to any greater level and that is the country's overall view!

It is time we revisit the Clean Ganga campaign also, once in a while.

There must be a strict law in force for opinion poll and surveys of this kind. Minimum percentage of respondents must be fixed to know the outcome of any survey or opinion poll. Survey of this nature is meaningless.

2452 respondents from a country of more than 125 crore people; i.e., 0.ooo2% and that is India's opinion. It is not very different from (my) telling that I doubt Modi's ability to steer this country to any greater level and that is the country's overall view!

It is time we revisit the Clean Ganga campaign also, once in a while.

PEW research center has a reputation to uphold.
They have been in the business of polling and recommending trends. They are one of the better ones though they can make mistakes.

But it is not because of how they pick the sampling size.

There is rigorous probability theory and statistics behind how extremely small sample are shown to predict results of an extremely large population.
If there are mistakes, it goes to the distribution within the samples picked rather than how the size of sample is arrived at mathematically.

It is easy to imagine larger sample size must yield better results. This can be a layman view but it is not supported by both actual results (as in elections) and by underlying mathematics.

There are two classic cases that very large samples actually yielded completely wrong results.

1. Science 14 March 2014: Vol. 343 no. 6176 pp. 1203-1205
Big Data: The Parable of Google Flu: Traps in Big Data Analysis

Google Flu was a project that was a complete disaster. The above article from respected Science journal is not accessible to most, so I will summarize the content

Google wrote a famous paper in 'Nature' about 4 years ago that they can predict trends of Flu outbreak, without any tests simply by analyzing the search terms from various physical locations. The data sample was huge and was in tens of millions. But their predictions missed actuals by very wide margin and they completely missed the H1N1 outbreak of 2009. Actually a sample size of 1000+ would have been much more accurate (which is what CDC - Center for Disease Control was using)

2. "In 1936, the Republican Alfred Landon stood for election against President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The respected magazine, The Literary Digest, shouldered the responsibility of forecasting the result. It conducted a postal opinion poll of astonishing ambition, with the aim of reaching 10 million people, a quarter of the electorate. The deluge of mailed-in replies can hardly be imagined but the Digest seemed to be relishing the scale of the task. In late August it reported, “Next week, the first answers from these ten million will begin the incoming tide of marked ballots, to be triple-checked, verified, five-times cross-classified and totalled.”

After tabulating an astonishing 2.4 million returns as they flowed in over two months, The Literary Digest announced its conclusions: Landon would win by a convincing 55 per cent to 41 per cent, with a few voters favouring a third candidate.

The election delivered a very different result: Roosevelt crushed Landon by 61 per cent to37 per cent. To add to The Literary Digest’s agony, a far smaller survey conducted by the opinion poll pioneer George Gallup came much closer to the final vote, forecasting a comfortable victory for Roosevelt. Mr Gallup understood something that The Literary Digest did not. When it comes to data,size isn’t everything." The smaller size used by Gallup was of the order of 1000+

(From my notes, and the article appeared in Financial Times)

Mistakes are usually made in how samples are designed. Success rarely depends on the size of people polled.

Shooting from the hip often does not reach the target :) This is the lesson.

PEW research center has a reputation to uphold.
They have been in the business of polling and recommending trends. They are one of the better ones though they can make mistakes.

But it is not because of how they pick the sampling size.

There is rigorous probability theory and statistics behind how extremely small sample are shown to predict results of an extremely large population.
If there are mistakes, it goes to the distribution within the samples picked rather than how the size of sample is arrived at mathematically.

It is easy to imagine larger sample size must yield better results. This can be a layman view but it is not supported by both actual results (as in elections) and by underlying mathematics.

There are two classic cases that very large samples actually yielded completely wrong results.

1. Science 14 March 2014: Vol. 343 no. 6176 pp. 1203-1205
Big Data: The Parable of Google Flu: Traps in Big Data Analysis

Google Flu was a project that was a complete disaster. The above article from respected Science journal is not accessible to most, so I will summarize the content

Google wrote a famous paper in 'Nature' about 4 years ago that they can predict trends of Flu outbreak, without any tests simply by analyzing the search terms from various physical locations. The data sample was huge and was in tens of millions. But their predictions missed actuals by very wide margin and they completely missed the H1N1 outbreak of 2009. Actually a sample size of 1000+ would have been much more accurate (which is what CDC - Center for Disease Control was using)

2. "In 1936, the Republican Alfred Landon stood for election against President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The respected magazine, The Literary Digest, shouldered the responsibility of forecasting the result. It conducted a postal opinion poll of astonishing ambition, with the aim of reaching 10 million people, a quarter of the electorate. The deluge of mailed-in replies can hardly be imagined but the Digest seemed to be relishing the scale of the task. In late August it reported, “Next week, the first answers from these ten million will begin the incoming tide of marked ballots, to be triple-checked, verified, five-times cross-classified and totalled.”

After tabulating an astonishing 2.4 million returns as they flowed in over two months, The Literary Digest announced its conclusions: Landon would win by a convincing 55 per cent to 41 per cent, with a few voters favouring a third candidate.

The election delivered a very different result: Roosevelt crushed Landon by 61 per cent to37 per cent. To add to The Literary Digest’s agony, a far smaller survey conducted by the opinion poll pioneer George Gallup came much closer to the final vote, forecasting a comfortable victory for Roosevelt. Mr Gallup understood something that The Literary Digest did not. When it comes to data,size isn’t everything." The smaller size used by Gallup was of the order of 1000+

(From my notes, and the article appeared in Financial Times)

Mistakes are usually made in how samples are designed. Success rarely depends on the size of people polled.

Shooting from the hip often does not reach the target :) This is the lesson.

In that case an even smaller sample of say 20 or 25 would have been sufficient. So, what determines the absolute minimum sample size?

Pew or some other interests who can employ pew, has some quid pro quo to get from the Modi government and hence this kind of "scholarly" study, I believe! So, shooting from the hip sometimes reaches the target, does it not? Good!

Anyway astrology is more reliable than pseudo scientific surveys. Both depend on the credibility and adherence to dharma by the pracyioner. But the gut feeling and intuition of the indian population are on the side of modi thanks to his inherent sterling qualities, sincerity of purpose, straight talk and identifiable results.

Anyway astrology is more reliable than pseudo scientific surveys. Both depend on the credibility and adherence to dharma by the pracyioner. But the gut feeling and intuition of the indian population are on the side of modi thanks to his inherent sterling qualities, sincerity of purpose, straight talk and identifiable results.

I will say that 30% of the voters thought, wisely or otherwise, that Modi's bragging indicated something he would be capable of actually proving, and so voted him and the BJP/NDA candidates. Fortuitously, this 30% could win 336 out of 543 Loksabha seats (62% only, short of the two-third majority point). Now nearly 16 months have passed and the developments during this elapsed period indicates that in much of the pre-election promises, boasts and claims, hardly anything is happening.

The famous black money in swiss- & other banks, Rs. 10 or 15 lakhs credit in each and every Indian's bank account, etc., have evaporated; only a group of favourites are enjoying top ministerial comforts and the SC is also gone to sleep with not one rupee even being credited to every indian!

Ganga has to clean herself, and only the bathing ghats have been cleaned and photo-/video-op have been used.

Swachh Bharat has reached no where; children urinating in the open have now very dirty latrines as a punishment and even water supply is not there in some cases. On a smaller scale the SB has boiled down to the 2G version!

Economy is in a tail-spin as certified by Subramanian Swamy.

Still, our gullible people who still believe the Dharma preachings concocted by the brahmin lobby of yore, may still have hopes left. Anyway, let us wait and see Bihar election results.

swamy demands sacking of RBI governor because he is working for western interests, did not lower interest rates when inflation is down, thus going back on his promise. swamy too is for self reliance, modi too is for it, but methods are slightly different.

one must not put too much on hostile media as it will never report truth and good news. anyway eyes blinded by cultivated hate will not see bright spots.

A setback for anti-Modi Lobbyists.
After one year in office, PM Modi's favourability ratings touch 87%.

As a matter of principle, I do not give much credence to "survey results" . But I am ready to accept this survey result, Mr Narendra Modi is a dedicated leader who wants to take this Nation of multivarious problems on the progress road of development. For the success of Parliamentary Democrecy a responsible and effective opposition is required. Unfortunately today we do not have one. All the members of Parliament should understand that they are elected by the people to serve the Country,and not to stall the work of Parliament by disruptive practices.

The people of India have given unstinted support to Mr Modi to lead the Nation. And the results of elections in Bihar will not be different. BJP will succeed in wresting power from JD(U).

Mr Narendra Modi should give more or equal importance to Agriculture as that of industries, which is still the backbone of our economy. The Government should bring strict fiscal discipline all around and stabilize the rupee value. It is my view that adding more zeros to the Salary will have no effect unless the galloping inflation is arrested.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

In that case an even smaller sample of say 20 or 25 would have been sufficient. So, what determines the absolute minimum sample size?

Pew or some other interests who can employ pew, has some quid pro quo to get from the Modi government and hence this kind of "scholarly" study, I believe! So, shooting from the hip sometimes reaches the target, does it not? Good!

Sample size is determined by confidence level (like 95%), margin of error (confidence interval), and total population (plus few more metrics). Good survey companies with reputation to maintain use protocols to ensure the sampling does not introduce unintended bias skewing the results.

My post earlier has nothing to do with PM Modi, it is just to dispel some imagination, myths and beliefs.

The two examples I cited are well known to many people.

People that assert conclusions that are off do pay a price in terms of credibility in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back