• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

American Psychological Association To Classify Belief in God As a Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Psychological Association To Classify Belief in God As a Mental Illness

July 15, 2015

god-mental-illness.jpg

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, will now be classified as a mental illness.

The controversial ruling comes after a 5-year study by the APA showed devoutly religious people often suffered from anxiety, emotional distress, hallucinations, and paranoia. The study stated that those who perceived God as punitive was directly related to their poorer health, while those who viewed God as benevolent did not suffer as many mental problems. The religious views of both groups often resulted in them being disconnected from reality.

Dr. Lillian Andrews, professor of psychology, stated, “Every year thousands of people die after refusing life-saving treatment on religious grounds. Even when being told ‘you will die without this treatment’ patients reject the idea and believe that their God will still save them. Those lives could be saved simply by classifying those people as mentally unfit for decision making.

“Jehovah Witnesses for instance,” Dr. Andrews continued, “will not accept blood under any circumstance. They would rather die than to receive life-saving donor blood. Many religious people believe they have “healing power” in their hands. Many believe they can communicate with God using a personal language, which is unknown to anyone but the communicator and God (known as speaking in tongues). Many often tell of seeing spirits. All of these are signs of a mental break and a loss of touch with reality. Religious belief and the angry God phenomenon has caused chaos, destruction, death, and wars for centuries. The time for evolving into a modern society and classifying these archaic beliefs as a mental disorder has been long overdue. This is the first of many steps to a positive direction.”

With the new classification, the APA will lobby to introduce legislation which would allow doctors the right to force life-saving treatment on those who refuse it for spiritual reasons on the grounds that they are mentally incapable of making decisions about their health.

The American Psychological Association says more information about the study and the new classification will be made available to the public in their upcoming journal (which is expected to be release in early August).

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/health/apa-to-classify-belief-in-god-as-a-mental-illness/

I think APA has not distinguished between Faith in God and Irrational Superstitious beliefs.

The principles eschewed by Jehovah's witness is a perversion of their scriptures.

Thankfully Hindus are protected from such mental illness.

I think APA has not distinguished between Faith in God and Irrational Superstitious beliefs.

The principles eschewed by Jehovah's witness is a perversion of their scriptures.

Thankfully Hindus are protected from such mental illness.

Jehova's Witnesses may be an extreme example. But even very devout hindus (and other religions too) have to be classified as having some amount of "mental illness". It is only this mental illness which makes them incapable of seeing through the various machinations of religion in exploiting them. Just a look at the crowds thronging in famous temples.

Last edited by a moderator:
The approach of Bhagavathas (Smarthas) raises some doubt, considering the above report.

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, will now be classified as a mental illness.

How would this "point" be identified, I wonder !

This can, probably, be stretched to disallow alternative methods of treatments. Maybe a brainchild of the pharma lobby.

Jehova's Witnesses may be an extreme example. But even very devout hindus (and other religions too) have to be classified as having some amount of "mental illness". It is only this mental illness which makes them incapable of seeing through the various machinations of religion in exploiting them. Just a look at the crowds thronging in famous temples, why, even the outpourings of some members in this forum should be considered as mental abnormalities.
the last line makes me think aloud. can they be helped?

Anything in excess is an obsession. Obsession is a mental illness.

What is the limit and when does it become excess is the question. For this there is answer in the passage quoted in the OP. If the obsession becomes such that it interferes with normal functioning, then we can term that as obsession first and mental sickness also and treat it.

We have to be careful about another danger. There are many fakes around who would, at the drop of a hat, brand some one as suffering from an obsession and condemn them to a solitary cell if they can. That is another kind of dangerous obsession and a more dangerous obsession can not be there.

We have members here who fall in the second category. LOL.

Anything in excess is an obsession. Obsession is a mental illness.

True..obsession of any kind is not healthy for the mind.

I would not like to call any deviation from normal an "illness" but rather call it a mental deviation.
All deviations are subject to change..in other words any "illness" can be treated provided the person admits his/her deviations.

Personally I feel subscribing to the God concept is NOT a "mental illness" what I prefer to call a mental deviation but there is a risk of obsession that can lead to delusions,total loss of analytical capability and not to mention total inertia of mind and body.

Well coming to treatment....there is treatment for being obsessed with God.

Its SEX and activities that help release endorphins(the feel good hormone)

When the mind gets regular endorphins from a healthy sex life and/or with well regulated exercise one does look that much for an external God.

Mostly its a deprived mind that becomes obsessed with anything.

Last edited:
lol. if obsessed with God have more sex.....

what next?

Do not forget exercise..cos that too releases endorphins.

Today morning I decided to do extended Yoga session..practiced poses for 1 hour and at the end of the 1 hour I was not thinking of God or anything or anyone.

It was just a feel good feeling of having enjoyed a good Yoga work out.

No thought of any Mananggatti kind..its was just a high feeling of endorphin release.

Last edited:
In india , we join onion queues instead at fair price outlets

Shedding tears over non available onions can make one forget God for a while.

Jehova's Witnesses may be an extreme example. But even very devout hindus (and other religions too) have to be classified as having some amount of "mental illness". It is only this mental illness which makes them incapable of seeing through the various machinations of religion in exploiting them. Just a look at the crowds thronging in famous temples, why, even the outpourings of some members in this forum should be considered as mental abnormalities.

Last line is funny. Reminded me to LOL

Frustrated atheistic and agnostic log have to satisfy themselves with bad mouthing others because there is nothing in these 'wise paths' to gloat about. They are ignored by temple going devout public. No harm in letting them purify themselves by shedding bad blood.

Last line is funny. Reminded me to LOL

Perhaps I might be mistaken, but most of your responses seem to have a judgement on the members based on what you perceive them to be, through their writings, and are nicely shrouded through a bit of sarcasm.

:)

Perhaps I might be mistaken, but most of your responses seem to have a judgement on the members based on what you perceive them to be, through their writings, and are nicely shrouded through a bit of sarcasm.

:)
Your very post is a judgement too, "being mistaken added to soften the message" :) All messages in this thread of thinking are judgements.

True..obsession of any kind is not healthy for the mind.

Well coming to treatment....there is treatment for being obsessed with God.

Its SEX and activities that help release endorphins(the feel good hormone)

Dr. Mam,

Did you ever give this prescription to the God men / God women else before, as they seem to be adhering to this meticulously. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back