• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

narmada lingam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanakkam learned ones:

This is a mystical type question, and I am hoping someone may be familiar with the tradition, if any.

I had the opportunity to purchase a larger (18 inches high, about 10 across) narmada lingam recently, so I went ahead and purchased it. I was acting solely on intuition.

The intention is perhaps (subject to the Lord of Obstacles approval) to have it installed in an outside shrine. This will take time, so in the meantime I have to store it in my home shrine. It has some vibrations with it, as it sat in a western style crystal store for some time. I want to cleanse it of this, but not activate it. (This is my house, not a temple) Then I want to store it, unactivated, but clean. I need suggestions. Can I bathe it without activating it? If I just leave it alone, will it slowly adjust to the vibration of my shrine and feel at home there. Should I wrap it in special cloth. (It is lieing on its side which helps to keep it inactive. What do priests think here? Thank you in advance.

Aum Namasivaya

According to Agama Sastras, you have to install it after performing the specified rites. However, if you read the history of one of the 63 saiva saints, `Kannappa Nayanar', it is pure devotion which matters more than the Agama sastras. Kannappa Nayanar is a simple & humble `hunter' who reached the lotus feet of Lord Shiva by pure devotion.

Detailed story is available in the following website

Kannappa Nayanar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since you are highly devoted to `Lord Shiva', you can follow Kannappa Nayanar and do whatever you feel good till the final installation in a regular shrine.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Vanakkam Venkataramani:

I am familiar with Kannapan Nayanar as he is the one non-vegetarians always talk about to excuse themselves. I am also aware of it being installed according to Agamas. But that is all later. For now he sits in my shrine room at home.

But knowing what you said eased my mind. I found Him by intuition, and for the interim period, my intuition will do fine. My wife covered him in a cloth, and he will sit, hidden, unactivated, for now, as are the lingams remaining in the Narmada.

I am a natha, not a smarta, so the mystic realms are more apparent to me. Just didn't want to activate it before the right time.

Nandri

Aum Namasivaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back